The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by katherine.l1995
Magic circle, Silver circle and US firms won't take anyone without at least 65% overall and 2.1 in almost all modules! AAA-AAB in A levels also required.

Do these requirements apply across all years of study( i.e. Including first year)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 261
Anyone got an idea what the 'online assessment form' (after the application form) for Squire PB is?
RPC app almost ready to go, just waiting on a response from my personal tutor as to whether i can use the details for academic reference and just got to add some open days onto the work experience sections. filled in all the competency and commercial questions. was at a Targetjobs event at the firm back in january, great office.
Magic circle, Silver circle and US firms won't take anyone without at least 65% overall and 2.1 in almost all modules! AAA-AAB in A levels also required.

As J-SP said, this is not true. I graduated with a low 2.1 from a London uni, and consistently scraped 2.1s across my degree. I did vac schemes at magic circle, silver circle and US firms.. I have friends with TCs at US shops and MCs firms, who were rounded up to their 2.1s/or just scraped it.

Grades are important, but you definitely do not need a 65% average. I was in converstation with Grad Rec at one MC shop, who said 62% was roughly the minimum. Consistently is probably more important, better to score 62% in all modules than 64% (but with a mixture of 2.2s and 2.1s. If you have good work experience and extra curricular, some firms will look beyond your academics. Having said that, your life will be a lot easier if you have good marks, more and more firms are looking for a good/high 2.1

If your grades are lower than expected, you need to make more effort with regards to making a good impression. For example, if you've been to an open day/first year scheme and impressed, you'd be surprised at how much leeway this gives you.

(obviously, this does not apply to firms that explicitly ask for a high 2.1)
(edited 7 years ago)
anyone done the verbal analysis aptitude test for BLP yet?
Reply 265
Does anybody know the next stage of assessment for CC after the online Watson Glaser?
Had an e-mail confirming I am being moved on to the next stage but read different experiences online.
Reply 266
Yes - relatively simple in comparison to the Watson Glaser.
Original post by hotliketea
anyone done the verbal analysis aptitude test for BLP yet?
Is there any way that I can explain that in my applications that a C in one of my A-Levels was one mark off a B, and that this subject was largely self-taught due to a teacher regularly taking leave to assist his ill wife?

I want firms to know about this but I really don't think this qualifies as a mitigating circumstance (correct me if I'm wrong)
Original post by DOHHammie
Is there any way that I can explain that in my applications that a C in one of my A-Levels was one mark off a B, and that this subject was largely self-taught due to a teacher regularly taking leave to assist his ill wife?

I want firms to know about this but I really don't think this qualifies as a mitigating circumstance (correct me if I'm wrong)

Why not include it if you think it might be and the firm themselves can then take that decision if they think the circumstances warrant it? Could be the difference between an interview and pfo?
Original post by DOHHammie

i don't think it counts as a mitigating circumstance - as hard as i can understand it would be , it comes across as more of an excuse , and they will think you should have taken issue with your school who should have provided adequate replacements etc.

but you could put it in if there is an 'additional info' section rather than attesting it to be a mitigating circumstance?

Completely wrong - please stop sharing incorrect advice.

You do not need at least a 65%.. many have gotten in with lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone applied to Simmons & Simmons? Are we meant to receive the situational judgement test link automatically after submitting application or after its been reviewed?
Original post by giggy12s
Has anyone applied to Simmons & Simmons? Are we meant to receive the situational judgement test link automatically after submitting application or after its been reviewed?

I believe it's automatically sent and then assessed alongside your application form.

My test was sent the day after I submitted the form and then I got a PFO the day after that
Has anyone applied to Slaughter & May?

If so, how did you go about the application form?
They say the CL need not be long, but should just include basic information? So, no why law? Why SM and so on?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
Has anyone applied to Slaughter & May?

If so, how did you go about the application form?
They say the CL need not be long, but should just include basic information? So, no why law? Why SM and so on?

I didn't include any of that because they seemed to be pretty adamant that it didn't require it - they seemed to want short and succinct , to the point etc.
Original post by hotliketea
I didn't include any of that because they seemed to be pretty adamant that it didn't require it - they seemed to want short and succinct , to the point etc.

So you only included things like explanation of education gaps/extenuating circumstances as they mention?

Also, my CV is currently 2 full pages long - reckon that should be fine?
Original post by *Stefan*
So you only included things like explanation of education gaps/extenuating circumstances as they mention?

Also, my CV is currently 2 full pages long - reckon that should be fine?

Yes, you are right. But it depends, some people wrote standard cover letters (like why law why slaughters) and got through to the interview stage and for others, including myself, i simply wrote something along the line of im applying for your tc and have attached my cv and look forward to hearing from you blah blah. So it is up to you, but if you choose the former, just be prepared to be asked questions on your cover letter
Reply 277
For those who submitted an HSF app, when I printed my application i got my answers as one massive para, as opposed to 5 different ones like on my word doc - is there a way to fix this?
Anyone know if Sidley Austin is rolling basis for winter vs?
cvmail is down.........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending