The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Lostperson
deffo.

but don't forget that that 745 cut off was when avgs were silly high. Im going for it. My mate has 694 and is going for it xx

Yeah I'm going for it. Hopefully there are a fair few people with lower scores this year. Where else did you apply?
the average was lower that year?? it was 660 i think... with DA. Without DA it was 624...

Okay i think i got mixed up with 2014 entry and 2014 average scores. I've been trying to find a list of past years ukcat cut off scores for Newcastle and also the past averages of ukcat scores and i can't find them and it's annoying me!!!

yes i do see your point... but not EVERYONE with great results will apply there.

Yes i agree, not everyone with good scores but my point is it's just as likely to have a certain cut off score each year depending on who they get applications from. It's not based off of the national averages basically. So even with a lower national average they can have a higher ukcat cut off score if the majority of applicant have a high ukcat cut off score.

either way haha there is no point speculating, Im just going by the trend *apart from 2013 with the inflated scores* and think that 690 is a safe score.

Yeah i would say 690 is a safe score too. It's quite high. I'm just saying that its not out of the picture for the cut off to be 700+ with an explanation of how the cut off scores are determined. Can't really conclude too much from the trend but i agree with 690 being a safe score.
This discussion was however underlined by the theme across multiple threads where people are applying here with 650/660 etc and people are saying that it's not risky and not to worry. I'm pretty sure there is a massive risk being taken by them and was referring to scores like them in my other comments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Okay i think i got mixed up with 2014 entry and 2014 average scores. I've been trying to find a list of past years ukcat cut off scores for Newcastle and also the past averages of ukcat scores and i can't find them and it's annoying me!!!

Yes i agree, not everyone with good scores but my point is it's just as likely to have a certain cut off score each year depending on who they get applications from. It's not based off of the national averages basically. So even with a lower national average they can have a higher ukcat cut off score if the majority of applicant have a high ukcat cut off score.

Yeah i would say 690 is a safe score too. It's quite high. I'm just saying that its not out of the picture for the cut off to be 700+ with an explanation of how the cut off scores are determined. Can't really conclude too much from the trend but i agree with 690 being a safe score.
This discussion was however underlined by the theme across multiple threads where people are applying here with 650/660 etc and people are saying that it's not risky and not to worry. I'm pretty sure there is a massive risk being taken by them and was referring to scores like them in my other comments.

yes..i would agree with 650-660 scores as being on the risky side!! let's see!...where are you applying btw?
yes..i would agree with 650-660 scores as being on the risky side!! let's see!...where are you applying btw?

Newcastle wbu??
Hey guys, I'm literally about to die from the stress. Do you think 677 ukcat score is good enough for newcaslte? i know its really low but would I even get a chance?? Oh god I feel horrible :frown: I really need some honest truth though
Original post by therainman
Hey guys, I'm literally about to die from the stress. Do you think 677 ukcat score is good enough for newcaslte? i know its really low but would I even get a chance?? Oh god I feel horrible :frown: I really need some honest truth though

Its a risk, but if you have 3 other uni's where your have a good shot then you could go for it. I i think it would be quite risky, but its not unreasonable for the cut off to be around 670. However it could just as easily be 700+. Best of luck

EDIT: Btw 677 is not really low, its a great score
(edited 7 years ago)

Honestly, it's difficult to say, but the average has lowered this year so you may just scrape in, but it really depends on the applicants.
Also, YOUR UKCAT IS NOT REALLY LOW!

The cut off for A100 last year was 682, but the average UKCAT scores this year have dropped slightly by 3 marks, so the equivalent would be 679. It's hard to tell because the cut off can vary quite a bit from year to year, but it's worth keeping your fingers crossed. Your UKCAT score is very good even to get close to the Newcastle cut off which is very high..
What type of interview method do Newcastle use? Panel or MMI?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MCMXCVIII
What type of interview method do Newcastle use? Panel or MMI?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're using MMI for the first time this year.
Original post by Gogregg
They're using MMI for the first time this year.

ok. thank you. couldn't find it on their website. prefer mmi tbh
ok. thank you. couldn't find it on their website. prefer mmi tbh

mmi sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mmi sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? I think its fairer and you get a breather between each station to prepare

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why? I think its fairer and you get a breather between each station to prepare

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's too time constricted and formal. Panel allows them to get to know you more personally. MMI is like speed dating and Panel is like restaurant date
It's too time constricted and formal. Panel allows them to get to know you more personally. MMI is like speed dating and Panel is like restaurant date

A GMC commissioned study undertaken by representatives from several UK Medical Schools concluded that there is a stronger correlation with MMI as a predictor of future performance as a medical student, than there is using the traditional panel interview process.Traditional interviews were assessed as low reliability and validity in the selection process, whereas MMI was assessed as moderate to high reliability and moderate validity. Traditional interviews were also seen as having high susceptibility to coaching whereas MMIs were only moderately susceptible.

I assume that's why Newcastle and other Medical Schools are following the trend of adopting it in line with recommended best practice.

(Academic achievement and Aptitude Testing was also assessed as a high reliability predictor).
Original post by meddad
A GMC commissioned study undertaken by representatives from several UK Medical Schools concluded that there is a stronger correlation with MMI as a predictor of future performance as a medical student, than there is using the traditional panel interview process.Traditional interviews were assessed as low reliability and validity in the selection process, whereas MMI was assessed as moderate to high reliability and moderate validity. Traditional interviews were also seen as having high susceptibility to coaching whereas MMIs were only moderately susceptible.

I assume that's why Newcastle and other Medical Schools are following the trend of adopting it in line with recommended best practice.

(Academic achievement and Aptitude Testing was also assessed as a high reliability predictor).

Doesn't mean anything to the one undertaking the interview. Panel are much better to take because they're more comfortable and easier.
Doesn't mean anything to the one undertaking the interview. Panel are much better to take because they're more comfortable and easier.

Personally I prefer the MMI format since it seems easier to get through? The stalls are all very guided and can cover more.
Everyone has their own preferences :h:
Hi guys, I'm a graduate applying for the 5 year course and need some advice. Those that have been out of education for longer than 3 years, what have you used as your 'evidence of sustained academic endeavour' besides the GAMSAT? I've been working as an auxiliary nurse since completing my BSc in 2013 but I've had no 'formal' education as such since then. Advice appreciated :smile:
Original post by RachelRachel1990
Hi guys, I'm a graduate applying for the 5 year course and need some advice. Those that have been out of education for longer than 3 years, what have you used as your 'evidence of sustained academic endeavour' besides the GAMSAT? I've been working as an auxiliary nurse since completing my BSc in 2013 but I've had no 'formal' education as such since then. Advice appreciated :smile:

Not sure, but I think I saw something which says that work based study, training and qualifications can be taken into account, if you did anything of that nature in nursing.
Original post by meddad
Not sure, but I think I saw something which says that work based study, training and qualifications can be taken into account, if you did anything of that nature in nursing.

Thanks for your reply! Decided to phone them this morning for clarification but as I thought, my auxiliary nursing doesn't count. They said that basically any course that is assessed can count as academic endeavour. So GAMSAT, foundation programmes, A-Levels, open uni short courses, etc. You have to have proof of enrolment, and to have finished the course by the time you start your Medical degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending