The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IdeasForLife
There is the story of Prophet Salih (as) which includes a camel.

Ironically, you just rekt a "Quranist". :lol:
Original post by mercuryman
So you reject all Hadith and stuff? Surely not all of them can't be unreliable

Well.. It's not that I reject all Hadith. It's just that I don't see it as divinely inspired, or religiously binding.

To put it simply, I see hadith in the same way that I see the Bible (Gospels in particular)
The Bible probably contains things that Jesus actually did and said somewhere. But it's mostly a game of Chinese whispers. There are over 300,000 hadith's out there. Hadith collectors themselves have had to go through narrowing down of "what they though to be true". Dates are often inaccurate. Sometimes, things contradict with Qur'an. It's impossible for hadith to be divinely inspired.
Original post by Poetic_Innocence
It does seem as though simply saying "Obey Allah" would have been sufficient. But it is a common stylistic feature of the Qur'an.

For example
Surat al Baqarah -
حَافِظُوا عَلَى الصَّلَوَاتِ وَالصَّلَاةِ الْوُسْطَىٰ
Maintain with care the prayers and the middle prayer.

"Prayers" and "the middle prayer" aren't two separate things. They're the same.

Of course obeying Allah and obeying the messenger aren't different.

The Qur'an outlines the way in which God communicates with us.

"It is not for any human being that Allah should speak to him except by revelation or from behind a partition or that He sends a messenger to reveal"

Prophets are simply mediums through which God communicates. And I think a quick flip through some ahadith speaks for itself, that it is obviously not God's message.

Why does the Qur'an say "maintain with care the prayers and the middle prayer" instead of just saying "maintain with care the prayers"? If it is purely for stylistic reasons,*why would it highlight the middle prayer specifically? Why not the first one, or the last one?

Is it not possible that this is done not just for stylistic reasons, but to emphasis the middle prayer as one of particular importance? I understand that most would interpret this more along the lines of "maintain with care the prayers and in particular, the middle prayer".

Could this not similarly be true for the verse on obeying Allah and, in particular, make no mistake, obeying the Messenger too?

Well.. It's not that I reject all Hadith. It's just that I don't see it as divinely inspired, or religiously binding. To put it simply, I see hadith in the same way that I see the Bible (Gospels in particular) The Bible probably contains things that Jesus actually did and said somewhere. But it's mostly a game of Chinese whispers. There are over 300,000 hadith's out there. Hadith collectors themselves have had to go through narrowing down of "what they though to be true". Dates are often inaccurate. Sometimes, things contradict with Qur'an. It's impossible for hadith to be divinely inspired.

I agree with you on this, there's no divine guarantee of accuracy within the Hadith. But suppose, in theory, we did have some way of knowing with 100% certainty that the Messenger commanded something in particular. Would you consider it religiously binding to follow that command then?
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you think of ISIS?

Do you think they're fundamentalists?
Original post by IRoranth
What have you heard? :confused:

Ayatollah Khomeini released a book in 1990, detailing etiquette on what one should do after engaging in beastiality.

I think that speaks for itself
Original post by champ_mc99
Ironically, you just rekt a "Quranist". :lol:

Oh the sister I quoted isn't a Quranist. Think you mistook her for the OP :redface:
Ayatollah Khomeini released a book in 1990, detailing etiquette on what one should do after engaging in beastiality.

So, do you generalise all findings from one Shia cleric to all Shias around the world?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Oh the sister I quoted isn't a Quranist. Think you mistook her for the OP :redface:

You're right my bad.

Awkward. :biggrin:
Original post by champ_mc99
You're right my bad.

Awkward. :biggrin:

It's oright bro. Even the pros make mistakes :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Khomeini died in 1989, so how did he release a book in 1990?
Original post by tazarooni89
Why does the Qur'an say "maintain with care the prayers and the middle prayer" instead of just saying "maintain with care the prayers"? If it is purely for stylistic reasons,*why would it highlight the middle prayer specifically? Why not the first one, or the last one?

Is it not possible that this is done not just for stylistic reasons, but to emphasis the middle prayer as one of particular importance? I understand that most would interpret this more along the lines of "maintain with care the prayers and in particular, the middle prayer".

Could this not similarly be true for the verse on obeying Allah and, in particular, make no mistake, obeying the Messenger too?

It could be true, but if this line of reasoning was one you were going to follow. That would imply that following the prophet is more important than following God? Obviously that can't be. In all honesty, I think that even if they were distinct as you suggest, then it still doesn't translate to "and follow the 300,000 books on his sayings 1,400 years later". The Qur'an also refers to Moses as the Messenger in Surat al Muzzamil, verse 16. Moses doesn't have 300,000 writings of his sayings. I don't think that's what the command "and obey the messenger" is trying to convey. I see your point and stance, but I hope you see mine also.

I agree with you on this, there's no divine guarantee of accuracy within the Hadith. But suppose, in theory, we did have some way of knowing with 100% certainty that the Messenger commanded something in particular. Would you consider it religiously binding to follow that command then?

Of course, if we had a 100% way of knowing that he commanded something in particular, in reference to Islam, then yes I'd say we should do it as Muslims.
Original post by Boondock Saint
Khomeini died in 1989, so how did he release a book in 1990?

The latest English version from which I got my information, was published in 2014 actually.

He himself, started writing it in 1964/
So, do you generalise all findings from one Shia cleric to all Shias around the world?

No, hence why I said I can't make any substantive claims about Shia's.
What do you think of ISIS?

Do you think they're fundamentalists?

ISIS. Ruining the reputation of Muslims worldwide.
Nope, I think they're anything but fundamental. I think they have an agenda (violence), which they use religion to propagate.
Man, I've been wavering between Sunni and Quranist for years now... Sometimes I feel that the Hadiths are just a long game of chinese whispers.

Then I remember the verses in the Quran (which someone posted earlier) stating that Muslims should follow the Prophet's (pbuh) words.

But then I realise I disagree with some of of the hadiths and find they either contradict or are incompatible with the message of the Quran.

Then I remember that the Hadiths teach us how to pray and how to perform Hajj.

But then I realise that by believing in the Hadiths, I'm putting my faith in people long gone, a few of whom may even have been enemies of Islam.

Then I remember that without the Hadith, there is no Sunnah: it's a compilation of all the guidance from the Prophet (pbuh).

But then I realise that some hadiths that could be wrong due to human error could make me unwittingly commit bidah or even shirk.

Then I remember that ignoring the Hadiths and therefore the Sunnah, I'll be committing bidah by filling in all the gaps myself.

But then I realise that I may be committing bidah by even assuming there are gaps in Islam sans Hadith in the first place

So on and so forth. That was an odd stream of consciousness moment but it's usually my train of thought. I currently do believe in the Hadith but I feel I'll be fighting this inner battle my entire life :/
Original post by ChampEon
Man, I've been wavering between Sunni and Quranist for years now... Sometimes I feel that the Hadiths are just a long game of chinese whispers.

Then I remember the verses in the Quran (which someone posted earlier) stating that Muslims should follow the Prophet's (pbuh) words.

But then I realise I disagree with some of of the hadiths and find they either contradict or are incompatible with the message of the Quran.

Then I remember that the Hadiths teach us how to pray and how to perform Hajj.

But then I realise that by believing in the Hadiths, I'm putting my faith in people long gone, a few of whom may even have been enemies of Islam.

Then I remember that without the Hadith, there is no Sunnah: it's a compilation of all the guidance from the Prophet (pbuh).

But then I realise that some hadiths that could be wrong due to human error could make me unwittingly commit bidah or even shirk.

Then I remember that ignoring the Hadiths and therefore the Sunnah, I'll be committing bidah by filling in all the gaps myself.

But then I realise that I may be committing bidah by even assuming there are gaps in Islam sans Hadith in the first place

So on and so forth. That was an odd stream of consciousness moment but it's usually my train of thought. I currently do believe in the Hadith but I feel I'll be fighting this inner battle my entire life :/

I understand the struggle. I really do.

At least you're not blindly following everything you read.
Do you consider yourself Muslim or a Quranist?
Sorry to break it to you bud but the Quranist methodology isn't as 'Quranist only' as you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu56SGCu-Us
Are you a Virgin?:biggrin:
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Do you consider yourself Muslim or a Quranist?

A Muslim

Latest

Trending

Trending