The Student Room Group

I love Oxford and would absolutely adore a chance to study medicine there.

Hey guys,

So I'm a Year 12 student with really high hopes of studying Medicine at Oxford. My GCSE's were sort of meh, with 3A*s and 8As, which I don't feel is a strong set of results. I am trying to do as much as I can to make myself stand out from the students with better GCSEs, and my expected grades are all As in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. I am absolutely dedicated and 100% ready to do whatever it takes to get into my dream university, I'm just worried that my GCSEs aren't the best.

Do any of you guys reckon I still have a chance? Any advice is so very much appreciated, and thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by IronOlympian
Hey guys,

So I'm a Year 12 student with really high hopes of studying Medicine at Oxford. My GCSE's were sort of meh, with 3A*s and 8As, which I don't feel is a strong set of results. I am trying to do as much as I can to make myself stand out from the students with better GCSEs, and my expected grades are all As in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. I am absolutely dedicated and 100% ready to do whatever it takes to get into my dream university, I'm just worried that my GCSEs aren't the best.

Do any of you guys reckon I still have a chance? Any advice is so very much appreciated, and thanks in advance :smile:

I don't want to put you down but realistically your academics don't sound good enough. People apply with 10A* for medicine at Oxbridge. Also I would defo encourage you to look at how Oxford teaches medicine because some people hate the fact you don't see patients for the first few years, the teaching styles might not work for you etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's good that you know exactly what you want now.

Your grades aren't "meh" for Oxbridge. Your GCSE grades are very good. And Oxbridge want very good students.

However, as you already know, Medicine is an extremely competitive course, everywhere. If you can get your expected grades of at least AAA at AS Level, then there is no reason not to pursue an Oxbridge application when you are in Year 13.

Plus, Oxbridge is not solely about grades. It's cliche, but it's 100% true. They are looking for students passionate about their course, and you seem like the kind of person that is passionate about Medicine. So try and do extra-curricular things that will boost your application in that sense also.

Like I said, it's great that you've made your decision about your course already, and that you know where you wish to study. That's a good sign.
Best of luck with your A-Levels, and your application. :smile:
Oxford wants around at least 7A*s at GCSE. They use GCSE grades heavily for interview shortlisting. I think if you can get like really high AS ums and high BMAT score you still have a chance!
Given the low percentage of A*s you have at GCSE, the fact that you only can apply to 4 med schools, and a huge percentage of applicants don't get ANY offers in the first cycle - you have to be somewhat realistic/tactical. You'd probably be better off applying elsewhere :sadnod:
You will not get into Oxford. Ignore the uninformed above (and me if you want) but do take a look at the data: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Apply to Cambridge if you like the Oxbridge-style course and collegiate system/tutorial system etc
(edited 7 years ago)
I say go for it, it is good to have a dream school. While the gcse is one hurdle, you still have much ahead of you. My advice is to get interesting experience related to medicine that will interest interviewers.
Yeah, as nexttime said above, the statistics do unfortunately make your chances look pretty grim. The thing about Oxford and GCSEs is that they use an algorithm for choosing people for interview, and the weighting is 50% GCSEs and 50% BMAT. Even if you had an exceptional BMAT you most likely wouldn't be considered. They do also interview a small number of applicants (about 40) who didn't make the original shortlist, but I'm guessing that these applicants were typically very close to making it and had extenuating circumstances and/or went to a crappy school.

Cambridge is pretty similar to Oxford and imo you'd have a much, much better chance there, so I'd suggest you apply there instead. They care mostly about AS and A2, and they also interview something like 80% of their candidates so you'd have the chance to impress them in person. :smile:
Original post by IronOlympian
Hey guys,

Oxford is very GCSE heavy. They could be the deciding factor of an interview. Unfortunately your percentage of A*'s is low for them as they usually have applicants who have achieved 8A*'s and more.
I guy in the year above me has just started Medicine at Cambridge with 3 A*s at GCSE. If your AS levels turn out well I would suggest applying there.
Original post by Poetic_Innocence
It's good that you know exactly what you want now.

Your grades aren't "meh" for Oxbridge. Your GCSE grades are very good. And Oxbridge want very good students.

However, as you already know, Medicine is an extremely competitive course, everywhere. If you can get your expected grades of at least AAA at AS Level, then there is no reason not to pursue an Oxbridge application when you are in Year 13.

Plus, Oxbridge is not solely about grades. It's cliche, but it's 100% true. They are looking for students passionate about their course, and you seem like the kind of person that is passionate about Medicine. So try and do extra-curricular things that will boost your application in that sense also.

Like I said, it's great that you've made your decision about your course already, and that you know where you wish to study. That's a good sign.
Best of luck with your A-Levels, and your application. :smile:

3A* at GCSE is not "very good" for Oxbridge medicine.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
3A* at GCSE is not "very good" for Oxbridge medicine.

I said his/her grades are very good. Getting into Oxford or Cambridge is not dependent on GCSE grades. I went on to say that for a competitive course like medicine, it might be tough if their AS grades don't make up for it.
Reply 12
Original post by Poetic_Innocence
I said his/her grades are very good. Getting into Oxford or Cambridge is not dependent on GCSE grades. I went on to say that for a competitive course like medicine, it might be tough if their AS grades don't make up for it.

That's wrong I'm afraid. Perhaps it applies to Cambridge, but Oxford uses GCSEs as one of their primary methods for selecting applicants for interview. On average, those shortlisted for interview last year had 10.6 A*s and 94% A*s at GCSE...

In response to the original post, and reiterating what has been said above, Cambridge would be a better option. Many other medical schools would love to have you but unfortunately the nature of the selection procedure means that Oxford might not :frown:
You know those threads where everyone says one thing and hardly anyone says the other choice, but the OP jumps at that as its what they wish to hear.....
I agree with nexttime and TLG - avoid Oxford. Sadly, you have pretty much 0 chance of getting in with just 3 A* at GCSE.

The most important thing for Medicine is to just get one offer, so you need to apply wisely.

EDIT - Just to add, TLG and nexttime are probably the most qualified people to give you advice. They both went to Oxford.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
You know those threads where everyone says one thing and hardly anyone says the other choice, but the OP jumps at that as its what they wish to hear.....

:laugh:

Hopefully OP understands their chance is at Cambridge, not Oxford. But if not they've been given all the information they need - you can't do anything else. Sometimes people have to learn things the stupid way.
Your GCSE grades are amazing but as *****y as it sounds I don't really think you have a chance. Medicine at Oxford is eyewateringly tough to get into. One girl from the year above me got 13 A*s at GCSEs, 4 As and she still got rejected from them after the interview.

If you still have your heart set on medicine, maybe do biomedical science and then do postgrad medicine?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Your GCSE grades are amazing but as *****y as it sounds I don't really think you have a chance. Medicine at Oxford is eyewateringly tough to get into. One girl from the year above me got 13 A*s at GCSEs, 4 As and she still got rejected from them after the interview.

If you still have your heart set on medicine, maybe do biomedical science and then do postgrad medicine?

There isn't anything stopping them from applying to medicine as an undergrad... just not at Oxford. Aiming for GEM when you're still doing a-levels is a last resort really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending