The Student Room Group

Cambridge reapplicants 2017

Thought there should be a thread for everyone who was rejected/missed their offer and is reapplying for Cambridge this year. What are you getting up to in your year out? What subject are you applying for and how did your exams go?

--

A little about myself, I applied last UCAS cycle for Maths with AAAA in maths, further maths, chemistry and French and I received an offer from King's asking for A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP 2 and 3.

Unfortunately I only managed to get 2,1 in STEP and got A*A*A*a in Maths, FM, French and AS Physics so I was unsuccessful. This time round I'm applying for Computer Science (maybe Compsci with maths) at Jesus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Unsuccessful for Comp Sci this year, I'm going to re-apply for NatSci (Physical) this year.

A2: 4 A*.
Reply 2
Original post by Forecast
Unsuccessful for Comp Sci this year, I'm going to re-apply for NatSci (Physical) this year.

A2: 4 A*.

What are you getting up to this year? Are you gonna do any additional exams?
Hey,

I applied to Lucy Cavendish College for English in their second application round (the "mature" colleges have a second application round until March 1st), got an interview, got pooled, got another interview from another "mature" college and then got rejected. I'm now re-applying to Cambridge and 2 other unis [I did get four offers last time, and I'm not re-applying just for the sake of going to Cambridge. This is more complicated than that.], and I'm also applying to UCL.

Oh and I'm applying for English, of course.
Reply 4
Original post by dorababy1995
Hey,

I applied to Lucy Cavendish College for English in their second application round (the "mature" colleges have a second application round until March 1st), got an interview, got pooled, got another interview from another "mature" college and then got rejected. I'm now re-applying to Cambridge and 2 other unis [I did get four offers last time, and I'm not re-applying just for the sake of going to Cambridge. This is more complicated than that.], and I'm also applying to UCL.

Oh and I'm applying for English, of course.

Which college you opting for this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fa991
Which college you opting for this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to Wolfson this time.
Reply 6
Original post by jneill

Hehe, thanks for tagging me! :tongue:
Hello,

I am reapplying to read Mathematics with Physics at Churchill college, Cambridge this year after missing my offer in STEP II and Physics. I am preparing for the Maths/Physics Olympiads this year, together with retaking Physics and taking Additional Further Mathematics. From time to time, I am also going through some Part IA Maths (specifically V&M and Groups from Beardon's textbook and possibly Analysis I from Burkill) so if any (potential) Mathmo wants to discuss some Tripos questions, I am up for it. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Insight314
Hello,

I am reapplying to read Mathematics with Physics at Churchill college, Cambridge this year after missing my offer in STEP II and Physics. I am preparing for the Maths/Physics Olympiads this year, together with retaking Physics and taking Additional Further Mathematics. From time to time, I am also going through some Part IA Maths (specifically V&M and Groups from Beardon's textbook and possibly Analysis I from Burkill) so if any (potential) Mathmo wants to discuss some Tripos questions, I am up for it. :smile:

What subjects/exams do you have lined up for yourself this time? "Just" STEP and Physics or others too?
Original post by jneill
What subjects/exams do you have lined up for yourself this time? "Just" STEP and Physics or others too?

Due to having 25 exams in one month in Year 11, I could not revise for the more important subjects that were on my offer (STEP, Physics, FM) as much as other offer-holders could. This, in my opinion, is the main reason why I missed my grade in STEP II and was 18 UMS off an A in Physics (couldn't do almost any past papers for A2). Therefore, for this year I have decided to have a normal amount of exams so that I don't miss my grades like I did in Year 11.

In summer 2017, I will sit S1-4 and D1-2 for an Additional Further Mathematics qualification, STEP I/II/III papers and retake AS and A2 OCR Physics - all of this equates to 13 exams. I am not yet sure whether I will be retaking AS Physics (since I got an A in it) but my UMS is on the lower side so I might as well retake it - I only need 18UMS to meet entry requirements so just by retaking AS and A2 ISAs I would be able to get an A in Physics. Nevertheless, I have not declared AS Physics to be retaken on UCAS/SAQ. In addition, my Physics teacher thinks that I should also sit 3 more exams for another whole A-level in AQA Physics, which I am not completely sure about. My school does AQA Physics, and since it is a linear A level, I can sit AS and A2 through only 3 exams in summer 2017 but I am still undecided on it. Even though I will hold 6 A-levels on results day, I think it is a bit pointless to have two A-levels in the same subject but different specification, but my teacher's main point is that by taking AQA Physics I would understand Physics better and getting A*s in AQA and OCR Physics would demonstrate that my knowledge is not restricted by specification choice. I guess he's kind of right in that sense, and I could also declare only the better grade if I perform better at one of them. Also, it wouldn't be an unnecessary qualification that would need separate revision (like it was for Chemistry in Year 11) but revision for AQA would be approximately equal to revision for OCR since the specs are pretty similar in terms of content. Nevertheless, I have not declared this either on UCAS/SAQ since it would look particularly weird - as if I am looking to do more exams after main failure in Year 11 being 25 exams in one month - and I could always just tell them later about it. I will see how it goes, I feel like the main problem for it is exam pressure and one more thing having to worry about, but if in April/May I am good enough in Physics to get A*s in them, then might as well take them. It would be nice to know your opinion on this issue, hehe.

Sorry for going on a tangent here - summer 2017 is Additional Further Maths, STEP and Physics (OCR and AQA potentially), whereas throughout the year I am preparing for the BMO1/2 and BPhO. I have contacted different DoS/ATs and they have all recommended me to do 'hard' problems (that is, olympiad problems) in order to get better at maths/physics, and ultimately consolidate the understanding that I've learnt in Year 11. Professor Imre Leader specifically mentioned to me that the olympiads would help me for interview, and that good performance at interview would equal an offer. :smile:

My goal for this year is to (obviously) get an offer from Cambridge to read Maths with Physics, get somewhere with olympiads (Round 2 at the least) and also open the envelope on results day 2017 reading A*A*A*A*A* and S,S,S in STEP I,II,III; except the D in A-level Chemistry, haha, I mentioned it on UCAS but referee explained it in detail on reference (if you are wondering). I am going to make sure this year I don't put too much pressure on myself with exams like I did last year. Also, I will try and not have 'false' confidence after exam period 2017 (like I did last year) because it really hurt me on results day.

P.S: You might be wondering why I reapplied to the same college, Churchill. The reason is that my referee talked to the AT at Churchill, and his response was positive enough for me to not be worried about any negative bias towards me as a reapplicant. In addition, Imre Leader persuaded me that it's best for me to reapply to Churchill as they do understand my situation.
Reply 11
Due to having 25 exams in one month in Year 11, I could not revise for the more important subjects that were on my offer (STEP, Physics, FM) as much as other offer-holders could. This, in my opinion, is the main reason why I missed my grade in STEP II and was 18 UMS off an A in Physics (couldn't do almost any past papers for A2). Therefore, for this year I have decided to have a normal amount of exams so that I don't miss my grades like I did in Year 11.

In summer 2017, I will sit S1-4 and D1-2 for an Additional Further Mathematics qualification, STEP I/II/III papers and retake AS and A2 OCR Physics - all of this equates to 13 exams. I am not yet sure whether I will be retaking AS Physics (since I got an A in it) but my UMS is on the lower side so I might as well retake it - I only need 18UMS to meet entry requirements so just by retaking AS and A2 ISAs I would be able to get an A in Physics. Nevertheless, I have not declared AS Physics to be retaken on UCAS/SAQ. In addition, my Physics teacher thinks that I should also sit 3 more exams for another whole A-level in AQA Physics, which I am not completely sure about. My school does AQA Physics, and since it is a linear A level, I can sit AS and A2 through only 3 exams in summer 2017 but I am still undecided on it. Even though I will hold 6 A-levels on results day, I think it is a bit pointless to have two A-levels in the same subject but different specification, but my teacher's main point is that by taking AQA Physics I would understand Physics better and getting A*s in AQA and OCR Physics would demonstrate that my knowledge is not restricted by specification choice. I guess he's kind of right in that sense, and I could also declare only the better grade if I perform better at one of them. Also, it wouldn't be an unnecessary qualification that would need separate revision (like it was for Chemistry in Year 11) but revision for AQA would be approximately equal to revision for OCR since the specs are pretty similar in terms of content. Nevertheless, I have not declared this either on UCAS/SAQ since it would look particularly weird - as if I am looking to do more exams after main failure in Year 11 being 25 exams in one month - and I could always just tell them later about it. I will see how it goes, I feel like the main problem for it is exam pressure and one more thing having to worry about, but if in April/May I am good enough in Physics to get A*s in them, then might as well take them. It would be nice to know your opinion on this issue, hehe.

Sorry for going on a tangent here - summer 2017 is Additional Further Maths, STEP and Physics (OCR and AQA potentially), whereas throughout the year I am preparing for the BMO1/2 and BPhO. I have contacted different DoS/ATs and they have all recommended me to do 'hard' problems (that is, olympiad problems) in order to get better at maths/physics, and ultimately consolidate the understanding that I've learnt in Year 11. Professor Imre Leader specifically mentioned to me that the olympiads would help me for interview, and that good performance at interview would equal an offer. :smile:

My goal for this year is to (obviously) get an offer from Cambridge to read Maths with Physics, get somewhere with olympiads (Round 2 at the least) and also open the envelope on results day 2017 reading A*A*A*A*A* and S,S,S in STEP I,II,III; except the D in A-level Chemistry, haha, I mentioned it on UCAS but referee explained it in detail on reference (if you are wondering). I am going to make sure this year I don't put too much pressure on myself with exams like I did last year. Also, I will try and not have 'false' confidence after exam period 2017 (like I did last year) because it really hurt me on results day.

P.S: You might be wondering why I reapplied to the same college, Churchill. The reason is that my referee talked to the AT at Churchill, and his response was positive enough for me to not be worried about any negative bias towards me as a reapplicant. In addition, Imre Leader persuaded me that it's best for me to reapply to Churchill as they do understand my situation.

This bit: "In addition, my Physics teacher thinks that I should also sit 3 more exams for another whole A-level in AQA Physics, which I am not completely sure about." <<< FFS don't do that. A complete waste of time and likely distraction.

You need to be 100% focused on purely meeting the requirements. AFM is a good shout. Retaking OCR Physics is a necessity. STEP is a requirement. If Leader is recommending the Olympiads then that's good enough for me. But please don't stretch (and stress) yourself too far with anything else.

Good luck!
Original post by jneill
This bit: "In addition, my Physics teacher thinks that I should also sit 3 more exams for another whole A-level in AQA Physics, which I am not completely sure about." <<< FFS don't do that. A complete waste of time and likely distraction.

You need to be 100% focused on purely meeting the requirements. AFM is a good shout. Retaking OCR Physics is a necessity. STEP is a requirement. If Leader is recommending the Olympiads then that's good enough for me. But please don't stretch (and stress) yourself too far with anything else.

Good luck!

Thank you! I think the same as you. :smile:
Reply 13
Hello,

I'm taking BMO 1 too, for the first time,have you taken the Olympiads before?

How are you finding part IA? Are you doing the example sheets too? I did a bit of groups before deciding to apply for Compsci instead and it was pretty interesting stuff tbf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fa991
I'm taking BMO 1 too, for the first time,have you taken the Olympiads before?

No, I haven't prepared for any of the olympiads before. How are you finding BMO1 right now? What about BPhO, or do you not like Physics that much? :tongue:

Also, are you using any UKMT textbooks to prepare for them? I've ordered some, and I am also working through some handouts (Kedlaya inequalities currently) but it mainly involves working through past papers, to be honest. :biggrin:

Original post by fa991
How are you finding part IA? Are you doing the example sheets too? I did a bit of groups before deciding to apply for Compsci instead and it was pretty interesting stuff tbf.

I haven't done Part IA in a very long time; last time I did IA Maths was a few days before results day. I have yet to put it on my work schedule, but I am thinking of making 1 or 2 hours of space after school just to focus on finish Beardon's textbook.

I haven't yet finished Beardon's textbook (which involves V&M and Groups) but after I finish it I will definitely do some example sheets, and possibly hit the Tripos questions. I am thinking of doing this before interview period, in case my interviewer decides to ask me some V&M/Groups - I did mention I was working through Beardon on my personal statement. :wink:

Yeah, groups are pretty interesting. They made me love abstract algebra - I even got a whole textbook that goes through a bit of part IB rings, field theory and galois theory which I casually read through.
Reply 15
No, I haven't prepared for any of the olympiads before. How are you finding BMO1 right now? What about BPhO, or do you not like Physics that much? :tongue:

Also, are you using any UKMT textbooks to prepare for them? I've ordered some, and I am also working through some handouts (Kedlaya inequalities currently) but it mainly involves working through past papers, to be honest. :biggrin:

I haven't done Part IA in a very long time; last time I did IA Maths was a few days before results day. I have yet to put it on my work schedule, but I am thinking of making 1 or 2 hours of space after school just to focus on finish Beardon's textbook.

I haven't yet finished Beardon's textbook (which involves V&M and Groups) but after I finish it I will definitely do some example sheets, and possibly hit the Tripos questions. I am thinking of doing this before interview period, in case my interviewer decides to ask me some V&M/Groups - I did mention I was working through Beardon on my personal statement. :wink:

Yeah, groups are pretty interesting. They made me love abstract algebra - I even got a whole textbook that goes through a bit of part IB rings, field theory and galois theory which I casually read through.

It's pretty tricky if I'm honest, I'm ok at the number theory and inequalities but hopeless at combinatorics and geometry . The only UKMT book I've bought is A Mathematical Olympiad Primer, it's a fantastic resource, basically a collection of past BMO 1 questions alongside worked solutions and it's great really. I havent tried any other ones yet tho. I'm not too physics oriented, so I'm not bothering with the Physics Olympiad. I've had a look at the odd question and it seems much easier than the maths if I'm honest 😅

Being able to impress the exaniners with a little IA would be such a plus, as long as you fully understand the content. If you got an offer last year, it shouldn't be too bad to get another one, especially if you've sharpened your maths skills even further.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing A-levels and STEP alongside all your GCSEs in year 11 is insane. Pretty sure you'll get in this year now that you have a more 'normal' workload!
I got an offer for Physical NatSci. The apprehension about gap years is limited to Maths/Maths with Physics I think, from what I've gathered it's fine if you want to do Physics via NatSci - certainly no-one brought it up at my interviews. There's a list somewhere which states the preferences of each college with regards to gap years for Maths, so probably best to look at that and apply to one which doesn't mind them. You don't need to have loads of academic things to do on a gap year, as long as you ensure that you keep yourself up to speed on your maths knowledge.

GCSEs won't hold you back as long as you get strong results in your A2s, particularly for Maths. If you're serious about re-applying for Maths with Physics I'd recommend dropping your two less relevant A-levels, and instead preparing for and taking STEP this year as though you had received an offer. Having already met the standard STEP offer will be helpful in getting an offer next year, but it's not strictly necessary.

Apart from choosing a college that looks more favourably upon gap years/your specific situation (if you haven't met the standard offer before applying, best to email the colleges you're interested in to check that you won't be rejected before interview), it's not really worth worrying about 'middling', 'high' and 'low' ones. Maths makes particularly heavy use of the winter pool so if you have a good application and a good interview you will be likely to receive an offer no matter which college you apply to.
Reply 18
If you mean this...
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate-admissions/admissionsguide.pdf

...the colleges that are "Neutral" really are neutral. They don't mind at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending