The Student Room Group

Interview went badly...encountering rude interviewers

So today I had an interview, for which I've been stressing out over for the past week and a half. I had placed a lot of care and effort into my application as I've been looking for my ideal job for a while now, and this company and job seemed ideal really. I eagerly sent off my application, had a discussion with HR over the phone, they sent it to hiring managers- lo and behold I get the good news, interview invitation!

I spent the week panicking and losing sleep while I frantically prepared myself for any question, anticipated my responses and reviewed my portfolio and cv. Bare in mind I suffer from anxiety and depression also before you all think I'm overly dramatic.

I travel the two hour commute to the company, with my suit on feeling nervous as all my prep went out the window. I stuttered a lot, and to top it off one of the interviewers gawped at me, stared at a particular patch on my blazer jacket that had a slight smear- I barely even noticed it, but it was like she was staring me out with disgust, she seemed snotty and while she responded nicely, the non verbal cues were negative and it made me more anxious.

The guy asked me various questions which I responded too, long windedly as I was nervous. Nonetheless tried my best, but while I'm answering questions they keep exchanging fleeting glances and he is constantly smirking and grinning and I find it demeaning. I feel mildly insulted, as I'm sat trying to explain my process and my work he is kind of looking dispondant, dissapointed but plainly very Cheshire Cat like, as though he finds me incredibly amusing, but not in a good way.

*I didn't look at her enough to see whether she was reciprocating his glances, because she was menacingly staring me down before asking me very matter of factly and pitifully "where do you see yourself?"....I felt I was been pitied and mocked simultaneously.

Anybody else encounter such rudeness?*
Original post by Anonymous
So today I had an interview, for which I've been stressing out over for the past week and a half. I had placed a lot of care and effort into my application as I've been looking for my ideal job for a while now, and this company and job seemed ideal really. I eagerly sent off my application, had a discussion with HR over the phone, they sent it to hiring managers- lo and behold I get the good news, interview invitation!

I spent the week panicking and losing sleep while I frantically prepared myself for any question, anticipated my responses and reviewed my portfolio and cv. Bare in mind I suffer from anxiety and depression also before you all think I'm overly dramatic.

I travel the two hour commute to the company, with my suit on feeling nervous as all my prep went out the window. I stuttered a lot, and to top it off one of the interviewers gawped at me, stared at a particular patch on my blazer jacket that had a slight smear- I barely even noticed it, but it was like she was staring me out with disgust, she seemed snotty and while she responded nicely, the non verbal cues were negative and it made me more anxious.

The guy asked me various questions which I responded too, long windedly as I was nervous. Nonetheless tried my best, but while I'm answering questions they keep exchanging fleeting glances and he is constantly smirking and grinning and I find it demeaning. I feel mildly insulted, as I'm sat trying to explain my process and my work he is kind of looking dispondant, dissapointed but plainly very Cheshire Cat like, as though he finds me incredibly amusing, but not in a good way.

*I didn't look at her enough to see whether she was reciprocating his glances, because she was menacingly staring me down before asking me very matter of factly and pitifully "where do you see yourself?"....I felt I was been pitied and mocked simultaneously.

I cnat say what the experience was because I wasnt there. Any chance you were being oversensitive due to stress?

Yes you cna get rubbish untrianed interviewers whose objective they think is to catch you out.

What you need to do if you arenta natural is to practiceamd prepare for all situations, in this case interviewers who arent interested and you need to leanr how to take control of the interview, guide them if they are inexperienced amd move yourself towards making them seeing you as an ideal candidate.

Doing mock interviews helps and that way you cna practice how to dela with a rude or disinterested interviewer. Try and leanr from the experience so you na improve or not get caught out the next time. Getting an interview is 50% towards geting a job, so you just need more and you will be home and dry.
Original post by Anonymous

What was the title of the job ?
Contact them by email asking for feedback on how you did in the inteview so you can try to improve from what they said
I never prepare for interviews because there's no point. I will only forget evrything because of nerves but i do have a list of questions and replies already written and even read on the train but i will still forget and maybe remember only 3
I don't bother with role plays either but i have always been forced to participate in role plays when the job centre sent me on work programmes
I hate interviews with 2 peole at the same time.
Sign up with lots of different agencies on the high street and further afield like thecity or west end agencies because they have better jobs.
Type on google employment agencies and ring them all for an interview because you have a better chance of getting a job with an agency

On a work programme i went to last year the advisor told us all a story about how he thought an interview was going very well because there were 2 people interviewing him at the same time but one man kept nodding and smiling everytime he answered their questions so he thought he will definitely get the job but he found out later that the man nodding and smiling told the others not to employ him so he got it completely wrong as it was the other person who was stern and cold that did really like him so maybe that's the case for you too but you won't know until you ask for feedback on your interview
Reply 3
Original post by Judge Jules
What was the title of the job ?
Contact them by email asking for feedback on how you did in the inteview so you can try to improve from what they said
I never prepare for interviews because there's no point. I will only forget evrything because of nerves but i do have a list of questions and replies already written and even read on the train but i will still forget and maybe remember only 3
I don't bother with role plays either but i have always been forced to participate in role plays when the job centre sent me on work programmes
I hate interviews with 2 peole at the same time.
Sign up with lots of different agencies on the high street and further afield like thecity or west end agencies because they have better jobs.
Type on google employment agencies and ring them all for an interview because you have a better chance of getting a job with an agency

On a work programme i went to last year the advisor told us all a story about how he thought an interview was going very well because there were 2 people interviewing him at the same time but one man kept nodding and smiling everytime he answered their questions so he thought he will definitely get the job but he found out later that the man nodding and smiling told the others not to employ him so he got it completely wrong as it was the other person who was stern and cold that did really like him so maybe that's the case for you too but you won't know until you ask for feedback on your interview

The title of the role was Creative Artworker.

I haven't actually heard back about the outcome of the interview just yet and so I am awaiting a response before I ask for any feedback.

Perhaps your right, perhaps that guy just didn't like me and the lady did.
Doesn't sound like they did a whole lot wrong tbh. Giving you funny looks is subjective and my guess is that you may have imagined a lot of it. That said, I have found that people who are friendly and approachable in the interview tend to be more enjoyable managers so it might be you've dodged a bullet there as they obviously weren't friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending