The Student Room Group

Do Universities lie about their entry requirements?

^thats it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by APersonYo
^thats it

What do you mean ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard that a few unis ask for higher grades than they really expect but I think it's uncommon
^thats it

No, but (a) they sometimes change them in mid-season and (b) people often don't know how to interpret the range that is given and (c) people are often deceived by the use of the words "normal", "average", "usual" and "standard", none of which mean "100% guaranteed in all cases".
Well, I definitely think they inflate them a lot - at least the official ones they publish online. One example would be the AAA offer I got from Lancaster, on the open day I chatted to someone else on the course who'd got in with Bs and Cs, and after receiving my AAA offer on UCAS they sent me a letter saying that if I put them as my firm but then missed my offer they'd still give me the place if I got ABB or something like that. Also, if you look up the average entry tariff online it's much lower than the offer of AAA they supposedly give everyone...

Also, when we went to Bath uni to attend a talk about the course, one of the other students asked why they'd put their entrance requirements up that year to A*AA and they said "because Cambridge is now asking A*AA" - essentially they just wanted to look good and imply that they had good students by having the highest entrance requirements online.
they're generally surprisingly vague.
From what i've learnt/expect there are many factors as to the true entry requirements.
For a start if you're a grade or two below but your personal statement is fantastic they may still accept you.
If you have something useful to the degree that they dont ask for (e.g. having further maths a level despite not being required) shows ur enjoying the subject and make lower offers.
The sooner you send the application the softer they'll be on you.
There are many factors, dont know if the first ones correct though bare in mind but i fairly sure about the rest
^thats it

I'm aware that Cambridge and Imperial are bad offenders of raising the entry requirements to A*A*A*A*/A*A*A*/A*A*A, as well as some unis accepting people who missed their offer on results day by 1/2/3 grades. So yeah, you could make the arguement that what you need for entry isn't true.
Reply 7
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I'm aware that Cambridge and Imperial are bad offenders of raising the entry requirements to A*A*A*A*/A*A*A*/A*A*A, as well as some unis accepting people who missed their offer on results day by 1/2/3 grades. So yeah, you could make the arguement that what you need for entry isn't true.

it just makes me doubt where I should apply if all these universities lie about what they want
Reply 8
Original post by RossB1702
What do you mean ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick lies about their entry requirements for physics. They ask for A*AA but my cousin got in with AAB
Reply 9
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Well, I definitely think they inflate them a lot - at least the official ones they publish online. One example would be the AAA offer I got from Lancaster, on the open day I chatted to someone else on the course who'd got in with Bs and Cs, and after receiving my AAA offer on UCAS they sent me a letter saying that if I put them as my firm but then missed my offer they'd still give me the place if I got ABB or something like that. Also, if you look up the average entry tariff online it's much lower than the offer of AAA they supposedly give everyone...

Also, when we went to Bath uni to attend a talk about the course, one of the other students asked why they'd put their entrance requirements up that year to A*AA and they said "because Cambridge is now asking A*AA" - essentially they just wanted to look good and imply that they had good students by having the highest entrance requirements online.

Asking A*AA for what course? Oh wow, really? That's crazy. Im thinking of applying to Bath for an A*AA course
Warwick lies about their entry requirements for physics. They ask for A*AA but my cousin got in with AAB

How long ago was this?
Reply 11
Original post by Ze Witcher
How long ago was this?

this was 2016 entry.
Reply 12
Original post by Toasticide
they're generally surprisingly vague.
From what i've learnt/expect there are many factors as to the true entry requirements.
For a start if you're a grade or two below but your personal statement is fantastic they may still accept you.
If you have something useful to the degree that they dont ask for (e.g. having further maths a level despite not being required) shows ur enjoying the subject and make lower offers.
The sooner you send the application the softer they'll be on you.
There are many factors, dont know if the first ones correct though bare in mind but i fairly sure about the rest

I wish they told the truth ahah
this was 2016 entry.

Dang, I knew universities could let in students below their grades but by 2 grades , especially Physics at Warwick.
Reply 14
Original post by Ze Witcher
Dang, I knew universities could let in students below their grades but by 2 grades , especially Physics at Warwick.

Yeah I know crazy

Oh okay got ya. I think a lot of unis do that because not all applicants meet the entry requirements and they have places left so why not just let the people who were the closest in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it just makes me doubt where I should apply if all these universities lie about what they want

Do not let this be the basis of where you apply. Apply to places at and around your predicted grades (that you like etc obviously) and leave it at that. Don't over complicate it and let it distract you from what's actually important...
Universities don't want to be your insurance. Also applicants assume that a course/university asking for higher grades in publications equates to a higher quality university/course.

"Standard " and published offers are therefore pitched at a level to optimise a university's reputation and flexibility around hitting target admissions numbers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Asking A*AA for what course? Oh wow, really? That's crazy. Im thinking of applying to Bath for an A*AA course

Natural Sciences
I spoke to an admissions tutor a few weeks ago about my course at my aspirational uni and he mentioned to me last year people applied for an ABB with BCC and still got offers.

Quick Reply

Latest