The Student Room Group

Why would a guy I have never met before....

Come up to me and ask whether I need help with "ice skating". I mean he came with his "friends", and left them, and asked whether i need help. He held my both hands infront of me, and I don't know how, but I fell back.

When I came back he blanked me until i signalled to him come here... he came and asked how I was etc, then we started skating again. He was soo patient, like I was moaning and stuff that I can't do it etc.. We continued skating for at least an hour, if not longer.

This time he held one of my hands, and asked whether he could put one of his hands behind my back for support so I don't fall back again so obvs I said sure.

On one occasion I lost my balance was about to fall, he'd grab my arms. Another occasion when I got tired I let go of his hand, and looked down and he'd just stare at me and leave his hands infront as if he's offering it...

I said to him your hands are shaky and he said it is cuz I am cold, and after 10 mins I was like my hands hurt doesn't yours he was like yes my hands were shaky because my hands were hurting. I told him so many times you can leave, but he kept saying No it is okay, i am fine.

What my main q is that would a random guy do that to a stranger? considering he's a uni student at a different uni, and I am a uni student at a different uni?

ps. soz if it didn't make sense

Scroll to see replies

Did he work there? Doing community service?
Reply 2
Original post by xobeauty
Did he work there? Doing community service?

Nope, he's just a student that goes ice skating as a hobby
Reply 3
I'm also unsure whether ice skating is my thing
Reply 4
He probably fancied you
He must have liked you.
I've helped a few randos out at ice skating but only for a few mins definitely not an hour, maybe he likes you or something? Talk to him the next time you see him.
He is either very kind or he could have taken a shine to you.

The first (and last) time I went ice-skating my friends ditched me while I struggled like a newborn fawn with broken legs. I kept falling over, and at some point I was in the centre of the rink - no wall to use for support. A complete stranger kindly got me back on my feet.

More recently, I went to a roller disco for the first time (noticing a trend?) and I was again a complete disaster. A girl probably 2 or 3 years younger helped me up and patiently did her best to teach me to at least move on my feet (while I was probably the slowest student ever).

However, during a summer camp, for around a couple of days I was followed around by a guy I just met who seemed to want to help me with everything - carrying my stuff, offering me help and things like that. It was a bit suffocating (I thought he saw me as some loner who needed constant attention and waiting on to interact socially). I laughed him off with "I'm an independent woman" but it didn't really deter him. The last straw was when he offered me his own drink, seeing as I had a full water bottle in my hand. It's scary/confusing not knowing if people have an ulterior motive when they treat you with kindness, so i understand why you might be anxious.

Some people are very kind and like helping others, so there may not be anything to worry/think about. If you do meet him again, it might be a good idea to say thanks and make friendly conversation/treat him to a hot drink (I'm not sure what else to do to be honest). I don't really think things can go too wrong with that approach.:smile:

But here's a disclaimer just in case:
I really don't get into these situations much, so I can't say for sure what's going on.
Reply 8
Original post by chikane
He probably fancied you

Can you fancy someone u barely spoken to?

Original post by markova21
He must have liked you.

How is that even possible?

Original post by Gatewaymerge
I've helped a few randos out at ice skating but only for a few mins definitely not an hour, maybe he likes you or something? Talk to him the next time you see him.

That's the thing I dunno whether or not to go again, because I don't know whether I enjoyed ice skating

Original post by Keen_student
He is either very kind or he could have taken a shine to you.

The first (and last) time I went ice-skating my friends ditched me while I struggled like a newborn fawn with broken legs. I kept falling over, and at some point I was in the centre of the rink - no wall to use for support. A complete stranger kindly got me back on my feet.

More recently, I went to a roller disco for the first time (noticing a trend?) and I was again a complete disaster. A girl probably 2 or 3 years younger helped me up and patiently did her best to teach me to at least move on my feet (while I was probably the slowest student ever).

However, during a summer camp, for around a couple of days I was followed around by a guy I just met who seemed to want to help me with everything - carrying my stuff, offering me help and things like that. It was a bit suffocating (I thought he saw me as some loner who needed constant attention and waiting on to interact socially). I laughed him off with "I'm an independent woman" but it didn't really deter him. The last straw was when he offered me his own drink, seeing as I had a full water bottle in my hand. It's scary/confusing not knowing if people have an ulterior motive when they treat you with kindness, so i understand why you might be anxious.

Some people are very kind and like helping others, so there may not be anything to worry/think about. If you do meet him again, it might be a good idea to say thanks and make friendly conversation/treat him to a hot drink (I'm not sure what else to do to be honest). I don't really think things can go too wrong with that approach.:smile:

But here's a disclaimer just in case:
I really don't get into these situations much, so I can't say for sure what's going on.

Yh exactly like I wouldn't even help my friends for that long forget about a stranger! He'd make a wonderful friend. I dunno whether I'm ganna go bk. I dunno if I enjoyed ice skating / his company cause he made me feel safe
Reply 9
He probably found you physically attractive its not odd to fancy someone before you spoke to them lol.
Original post by chikane
He probably found you physically attractive its not odd to fancy someone before you spoke to them lol.

Oh I'd rather someone falls for my personality aha. I can't fancy someone based on looks
Original post by Anonymous
Can you fancy someone u barely spoken to?

How is that even possible?

That's the thing I dunno whether or not to go again, because I don't know whether I enjoyed ice skating

Yh exactly like I wouldn't even help my friends for that long forget about a stranger! He'd make a wonderful friend. I dunno whether I'm ganna go bk. I dunno if I enjoyed ice skating / his company cause he made me feel safe

You can give it as much time as you want before making a decision. At the moment it's totally normal to be confused or anxious, and your mind will probably clear up with time.
I'd say that you should try skating again at some point to avoid any potential regrets (pretty unlikely though) - this time with some very close friends or family. If you felt safe with that guy and there were no alarm bells, it should be okay (again, big disclaimer).
Gee I dunno... maybe he like you?
You can give it as much time as you want before making a decision. At the moment it's totally normal to be confused or anxious, and your mind will probably clear up with time.
I'd say that you should try skating again at some point to avoid any potential regrets (pretty unlikely though) - this time with some very close friends or family. If you felt safe with that guy and there were no alarm bells, it should be okay (again, big disclaimer).

Yeah I suppose tbh I just need a hobby.. I don't really want him to fall for me. It might make it awarks.

Yh I felt safe idk why. Well if a guy Is looking out for u, and litrally pulls u towards him when your losing balance why wouldn't u. Like I doubt my male friends would do tht
Oh I'd rather someone falls for my personality aha. I can't fancy someone based on looks

He probably approached you to get to know you more? I think you are overthinking this lol he might have felt drawn to you thats why he was spending time with you.
Original post by chikane
He probably approached you to get to know you more? I think you are overthinking this lol he might have felt drawn to you thats why he was spending time with you.

Yh I need to stop overthinking, but at time I can't help,especially if I've never experienced it before.

What's your advice
Yh I need to stop overthinking, but at time I can't help,especially if I've never experienced it before.

What's your advice

He seemed like a confident guy to approach you like that if you wanted to be friends then go back there if you arent that bothered then don't. Just feel flattered that a stranger would rather spend time with you than his friends.
Yeah I suppose tbh I just need a hobby.. I don't really want him to fall for me. It might make it awarks.

Yh I felt safe idk why. Well if a guy Is looking out for u, and litrally pulls u towards him when your losing balance why wouldn't u. Like I doubt my male friends would do tht

True...if anyone's looking out for you you generally feel safer. If I personally was losing my balance and my male friends didn't make an effort to at least save me, I would have to reconsider our level of friendship because I hold grudges like that (they do help me out so i'm not too fussed at the moment, haha).
Original post by chikane
He seemed like a confident guy to approach you like that if you wanted to be friends then go back there if you arent that bothered then don't. Just feel flattered that a stranger would rather spend time with you than his friends.

I am flattered ahaha. I'd go bk to try,but my mum found out that I went ice skating. She's not angry, but said she'd be annoyed if I went. U see I can't disobey my mum

True...if anyone's looking out for you you generally feel safer. If I personally was losing my balance and my male friends didn't make an effort to at least save me, I would have to reconsider our level of friendship because I hold grudges like that (they do help me out so i'm not too fussed at the moment, haha).

Ahah good!! well I can't go ice skating look above
I am flattered ahaha. I'd go bk to try,but my mum found out that I went ice skating. She's not angry, but said she'd be annoyed if I went. U see I can't disobey my mum

Ahah good!! well I can't go ice skating look above

That's too bad...maybe later in life you can try it out again of you really want it at that time (graduation). I also can't disobey my mum.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest