The Student Room Group

Paramedic and nursing help.

I need help. I'm a third year student nurse. I don't know what to do. I managed to go out with the paramedics and absolutely LOVED it, I loved being the first point of call and going to different situations and different people all the time. I know this was a one of occasion but I now think I probably should've picked paramedic science. Since starting nursing I've always wanted to work in A&E (dunno if its hard to get a job on there) or somewhere with emergency care, then leading onto an ECP and eventually (after yrs) a nurse practitioner. I would like to know three separate things. ANY COMMENTS WELCOME
ONE: can you become an ECP after about 2-3 years as a nurse?
TWO: can you avoid ward work on wards you don't like (for example I didnt like endocrine surgery, colorectal surgery and urology)
THREE: if I wanted to become a paramedic would I have to start all over? or can nurses either go out as a nurse with the paramedics or have a role on an ambulance etc?
THANK YOU :smile: :smile:
Original post by Chaaleey
I need help. I'm a third year student nurse. I don't know what to do. I managed to go out with the paramedics and absolutely LOVED it, I loved being the first point of call and going to different situations and different people all the time. I know this was a one of occasion but I now think I probably should've picked paramedic science. Since starting nursing I've always wanted to work in A&E (dunno if its hard to get a job on there) or somewhere with emergency care, then leading onto an ECP and eventually (after yrs) a nurse practitioner. I would like to know three separate things. ANY COMMENTS WELCOME
ONE: can you become an ECP after about 2-3 years as a nurse?
TWO: can you avoid ward work on wards you don't like (for example I didnt like endocrine surgery, colorectal surgery and urology)
THREE: if I wanted to become a paramedic would I have to start all over? or can nurses either go out as a nurse with the paramedics or have a role on an ambulance etc?
THANK YOU :smile: :smile:

Whether you can become an ECP really depends whether there is any demand for that role in your trust and at that time whether you are the best qualified person, or, if you relocate, whether they believe you have enough experience at that point. It isn't a prescriptive thing, it's impossible to say after X amount of years you will definitely be able to be an ECP. You would need to do additional qualifications to work in this role so it really depends whether your employer is willing to put you through them.

Yes, you can, but I would urge you not to rule it out altogether. Often students don't enjoy ward work until their management placement when they have a lot more experience and feel more like one of the team. You can, however, work in areas such as A&E or acute assessment as a newly qualified nurse as long as you have a strong interest in the area and can demonstrate that. It's easy to spend one day in an area and think it's fantastic, but it can easily lose its novelty when you're doing it every day.

You would need to show competence in all of the relevant areas so would likely need to start over. You could work as an ambulance technician as these do not have a paramedic degree but you would have less clinical responsibility and lower pay. *

Quick Reply

Latest