The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nu7
Where to apply with a ukcat of 617?

Don't worry, you can revise hard for the BMAT (2nd Nov, so you have half-term :biggrin:) and apply to them if you think you can do well.

Also have a look at the following links:

http://theukcatblog.com/which-universities-do-not-require-the-ukcat/

https://www.pastest.com/blog/applying-to-medical-school/what-to-do-if-you-didnt-get-a-great-ukcat-score/

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-to-apply-to-with-a-low-ukcat-score/

Also, just to let you know your score puts you into the 4th decile (in other words, you did better than ~40% of everyone who took the BMAT :smile:
Original post by nu7
Where to apply with a ukcat of 617?

Not the UKCAT heavy ones obviously- places like Newcastle, Glasgow, Qmul etc but like Gogregg said more info is required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Not the UKCAT heavy ones obviously- places like Newcastle, Glasgow, Qmul etc but like Gogregg said more info is required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

QMUL weight academic ability with UKCAT 50:50, so unless your GCSEs, AS grades and predicted A2s are mostly A*s, maybe it would be risky applyin to QMUL
Original post by University of East Anglia
That's correct, pre-interview we look at two thirds academic grades and one third UKCAT score

Please let us know if we can assist :smile:

is my ukcat of 637 good enough? :smile:
Original post by imogenr
QMUL weight academic ability with UKCAT 50:50, so unless your GCSEs, AS grades and predicted A2s are mostly A*s, maybe it would be risky applyin to QMUL

QMUL don't look at your GCSEs beyond asking for AAABBB to include maths, English and sciences
The rest of what you said rings very true though :smile:
QMUL can be risky unless you have a high UCAS tariff :u:
Original post by Gogregg
QMUL don't look at your GCSEs beyond asking for AAABBB to include maths, English and sciences
The rest of what you said rings very true though :smile:
QMUL can be risky unless you have a high UCAS tariff :u:

Ok, wasn't sure what "academic ability" was exactly referring to :tongue:
Although I suppose it's necessary (for medicine) to more than just meet minimum requirements...?
Original post by imogenr
Ok, wasn't sure what "academic ability" was exactly referring to :tongue:
Although I suppose it's necessary (for medicine) to more than just meet minimum requirements...?

In most cases, definitely!
Although i think, like a few other medical schools (i.e Newcastle, Plymouth), they don't look at GCSEs once you've surpassed the minimum and will just invite to interview based on UCAS tariff and UKCAT :smile:
Original post by mj14097
Hi, I would like some advice please

I am on a second gap year A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths, A at AS Further Maths (on my gap year I done A2 further maths and got an A*, i know this does not count).
723 UKCAT7A*s and 4 A's GCSE
Work Experience at Hospital, GP Surgery, Pharmacy, Tanzanian Hospital, Care Home, I tutor GCSE Student and Coach Martial Arts

Last year I got rejected with 685 Band 3 from Kings(interview) Queen Mary(interview) SGUL(interview) Notts(no interview)

Is it worth while to reapply to kings. i'm planning to apply to Leicester and Manchester. Not sure about the 4th, Glasgow, keele, uea, exeter?

Southampton!! They only select candidates for Interview by ranking UKCAT scores

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone,

I need help to decide whther i should apply to these unis or whther i should hav any safe choices

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
A level predictions - A*A*A*
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool
Original post by Nevergiveup123
Hello everyone,

I need help to decide whther i should apply to these unis or whther i should hav any safe choices

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool

Your choices really don't give you the best chance of interview. With your UKCAT alone you could guarantee 4 interviews, similarly with your GCSE's. But its your decision
Hello everyone,

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool

Your GCSEs would look really good for Cardiff and you should try QMUL. Liverpool and Manchester imo is not the best choice for you
Hello everyone,

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool

You could've got a guaranteed interview at queen mary and newcastle, you didn't really apply well to your strengths if i'm honest.
Original post by nihil_nimis
You could've got a guaranteed interview at queen mary and newcastle, you didn't really apply well to your strengths if i'm honest.

Quaranteed Interviews for you would be at Sheffield, Newcastle, Southhampton for sureee!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone,

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool

Replied above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At Birmingham, when applicants receive the same pre-interview score (out of 10), which academic and non-academic factors do they give the most consideration to when deciding who to interview?

Do they produce a ranking of all candidates and interview the top 1000, for example? ie can it be assumed that every applicant with a very high score, say 9 and above will be interviewed? Or is it possible that an applicant with a 10 score isn't invited to interview as their other features weren't good enough?

ps my score is 8 and I'm trying to decide if I have the best chances of an interview here... I saw that 73% of those interviewed had a score of 8 AND ABOVE :/

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nihil_nimis

Yh but my personal statement is very very good. Ive got plenty of reflection. Ive shown my ps to a past cambridge admissions tutor cuz they came to my college. He really liked it.
Yh but my personal statement is very very good. Ive got plenty of reflection. Ive shown my ps to a past cambridge admissions tutor cuz they came to my college. He really liked it.

But how do you know that? The ps is very subjective and there'll be plenty of people on gap years/mature students who have far more work experience and voluntary work than you - like the others have said, you really should've applied to at least 1 if not 2 safe unis like Newcastle and QMUL because of your high UKCAT score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
But how do you know that? The ps is very subjective and there'll be plenty of people on gap years/mature students who have far more work experience and voluntary work than you - like the others have said, you really should've applied to at least 1 if not 2 safe unis like Newcastle and QMUL because of your high UKCAT score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

His profile seems too good to be true, given the weak logic he's used when choosing those universities.
Forgot to write an "and" in my personal statement between two words, my application was sent off on Thursday, called UCAS and they told me to contact the universities with my edited version (with the and), do you think me contacting them before the deadline will give me a chance of them replacing the incorrect personal statement? :frown:
Hello everyone,

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool

Hi there,

Im gunna be honest and say you couldve guaranteed interview at other unis however if you like your choices then definitely apply because your application looks really good for any university.

The risk is that if you screw up the bmat your stuck with two unis where you're not totally guaranteed interview due to the subjectiveness of both your personal statement (for liverpool) and the NAI form (for manchester).

But then again its your decision and i hope you the very best. 😎👍🏿
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending