The Student Room Group

Reverse Racism

Scroll to see replies

how can you even ask this? of course
Original post by 999tigger
Just saying an article has no credibility unless you reference it so we can verify it and people can assess its merits

ok my bad, i was lazy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b07addcb45da97
http://www.dailydot.com/via/reverse-...-doesnt-exist/
its the second link thats more important
Reply 23

The problem is you have visited sites with a clear agenda who are trying to redefine words to help them, they can not accept that maybe groups like BLM may be racist by attacking white people so much so they define people by the colour of there skin so even when blmuk go around attacking homeless men it's ok so he must be privileged.

Even if you go by the power+privilege idea that does not mean a black person cant be racist as you would be an idiot to think a white person has more power or privilege than someone like dianne abbott
Reverse racism doesn't exist because it doesn't have the weight of institutional oppression behind it. Period.
Original post by CraigBackner
i wasn't 'fooled' into agreeing with it because of the reputation or 'authority' of the source, i already had that view, before I found out the website which helped source my view

I didn't say you were fooled into agreeing with the article. I said you were fooled into using a fallacial argument. I suggest you google "argument from authority fallacy".

You did a particularly bad job of it as your authority turned out to be articles speaking specifically about the situation in the USA which, in terms of race relations, is poles apart from the UK.
I think some of the replies are playing with words here but the key issue is the same:
Can a non-white be a racist>?

Obvious answer: YES!

I usually laugh in the face of some dimwitted white liberal trying to "curry favour" with me by telling me racism can only be exhibited by white people. However, I've seen a LOT of racism against whites and blacks by Indians, Pakistanis and Arabs, but the hate is more directed towards blacks/Africans than against whites.

Anyone with skin is susceptible to having notions of racial supremacy, it's nothing new, it's been existence for centuries. At least on the amusing side I could always laugh at how Indians have an obsession with skin-whitening products, whereas whites are after sun tans- I have plenty of melanin for anyone that needs it!
Original post by joecphillips
The problem is you have visited sites with a clear agenda who are trying to redefine words to help them, they can not accept that maybe groups like BLM may be racist by attacking white people so much so they define people by the colour of there skin so even when blmuk go around attacking homeless men it's ok so he must be privileged.

Even if you go by the power+privilege idea that does not mean a black person cant be racist as you would be an idiot to think a white person has more power or privilege than someone like dianne abbott

racism

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

well it depends on your interpretation and veiw: read the two articles and tell me if it changes your vewi

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/reverse-racism-isnt-a-thing_us_55d60a91e4b07addcb45da97
http://www.dailydot.com/via/reverse-racism-doesnt-exist/

No, it still doesn't change my view. I still think power has nothing to do with racism.
Also, technically, white people are the minority since there are less of us than there are people from other races (not put together) but it is true that most of the powerful people in this world are white, but right now, I don't think racism has anything to do with it.

I still think that nowadays anyone can be racist, no matter what your backgrounds are. Two articles that some people wrote don't make entirely true what they are saying.

Stop trying to redefine words to suit your agenda.
racism

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Superior, in this context, means better. It does not mean dominant.
Original post by Good bloke
Superior, in this context, means better. It does not mean dominant.

the two terms are not mutally exclusive
the two terms are not mutally exclusive

No, but you can't infer "domination" from use of "superior". It is simply, here, used to mean "better".
So lets put this situation out there for those who cant accept the definition of Racism.

A white redneck who has lived his life in a trailer supported by welfare and his whole family have been like this and poor for a very very long time.

He goes up to a Wealthy Black man and calls him a dirty N*****.
by your definition that isnt racist as the black man clearly has more power
Original post by AperfectBalance
So lets put this situation out there for those who cant accept the definition of Racism.

A white redneck who has lived his life in a trailer supported by welfare and his whole family have been like this and poor for a very very long time.

He goes up to a Wealthy Black man and calls him a dirty N*****.
by your definition that isnt racist as the black man clearly has more power

No, no, no. Institutionalized.

Thought I'd chime in and use institutionalized early on before it gets used here.

Institutionalized is a great word, because it's essentially meaningless. It means that no matter the situation, hatred of the establishment is justified. Black man gets shot by a black cop in a black community with a black mayor? That's clearly the fault of institutional racism created by centuries of oppression.

It's a 'get out of jail free' card that withdraws all responsibility from (insert group of choice here). Essentially, it treats said group as children incapable of making intelligent and moral decisions thanks to some vague thing that happened to someone at some point..

So, to answer your question: He can still say it's not racist because it's institutional.

Great word, that.
Original post by ThatOldGuy

Thought I'd chime in and use institutionalized early on before it gets used here.

Institutionalized is a great word, because it's essentially meaningless. It means that no matter the situation, hatred of the establishment is justified. Black man gets shot by a black cop in a black community with a black mayor? That's clearly the fault of institutional racism created by centuries of oppression.

It's a 'get out of jail free' card that withdraws all responsibility from (insert group of choice here). Essentially, it treats said group as children incapable of making intelligent and moral decisions thanks to some vague thing that happened to someone at some point..

So, to answer your question: He can still say it's not racist because it's institutional.

Great word, that.

Exactly, Racism can come from anyone and be directed at anyone
Anyone can be racist to anyone else. And anyone who is racist is irrelevant. No matter their skin colour.
Original post by ThatOldGuy

Great word, that.

Are you implying that current cases of police brutality are the fault of the predominantly, black victims?
Original post by Akamega
Are you implying that current cases of police brutality are the fault of the predominantly, black victims?

What cases of police brutality? If you are speaking of the USA then you need to say so. Their cases are the result of a nasty gun culture, frightened cops who would rather shoot first and ask questions later and armed criminals.

I don't recognise such a description as applying to Britain.
Original post by AlexS101
Reverse racism doesn't exist...
However black/asian/white people can all be (and a small percentage are) racist

You're joking right? Have you not seen what happens to black people in India.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending