The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's good enough for Cambridge?

Ok, so to start with, yes I am prepared for the inevitable answer of no, you're too stupid, your GCSE's are terrible, you'll be lucky to get into any University. Though hopefully put slightly more politely aha. So, my GCSE results are as follows: *note, I am not particularly proud of these.
Religious Studies - A*
English Literature - A
English Language - A
Mathematics - A
History - A
Applied History - B
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
Media Studies - D
Product Design - E
I am extremely embarrassed about my two fails, especially considering one is a grade so unimaginably poor, I felt I was in a dream when I saw it; the other bring moved down from a B to a D due to one line of text taken from Wikipedia which I failed to credit, meaning by the textbook I had plagiarised, and so received a D instead of a B.
My subjects for A level are as follows:
Religious Studies
English Literature
History
And I am targeted ABB respectively.
I hear that Cambridge do not really care for GCSE's, more so for A levels in which I aim for AAA or A*AA, I want to study Law, and the Cambridge requirements for this cause are A*AA; however, will my GCSE's hinder me? Are my goals realistic/(more likely) unrealistic, and what would be a good University to study at? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for reading. (Please try not to be too harsh to me aha, as I said, I am not proud of my GCSE's).
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cambridge are not really fussed about your GCSEs as much as Oxford is. If you make a good personal statement saying about how you aren't proud and It has motivated you to do better (Your AS grades must reflect this), then you should have no problem getting through to the interview stage.
Original post by Drunq
Cambridge are not really fussed about your GCSEs as much as Oxford is. If you make a good personal statement saying about how you aren't proud and It has motivated you to do better (Your AS grades must reflect this), then you should have no problem getting through to the interview stage.

Ok thanks. Surely they will have qualms about a letting a student enter who had failed not one, not two subjects, one particularly horribly though.
Reply 3
Original post by AnonymousEric
Ok thanks. Surely they will have qualms about a letting a student enter who had failed not one, not two subjects, one particularly horribly though.

You would most likely get through to the interview stage if you get AAA, and you would have your time to explain yourself then. However, you have to show them that you're dedicated and have the potential to do really well within the chosen subject you choose for the 2018 applications.
Original post by Drunq
You would most likely get through to the interview stage if you get AAA, and you would have your time to explain yourself then. However, you have to show them that you're dedicated and have the potential to do really well within the chosen subject you choose for the 2018 applications.

And how would I convince them of that, if I may ask?
I'm pretty sure the requirements are A*AA?/

Your GCSE's will be well below the average applicant, so you'll need to smash AS to show a big improvement.
Reply 6
And how would I convince them of that, if I may ask?

convincing them is up to you if you get your interview. Each interview is different and I can't really talk on behalf for you. First of all, SMASH your AS levels, AAA or AAB. Get your teachers to give you good predicted grades for your A2 A*A*A* - A*A*A . If you get an interview it'll be talking about how you were inspired and it was your dream to go to Cambridge. You showed mental strength just after your GCSEs finished. You were too young to know what you wanted, and you motivated yourself. Things like that, but obviously, more personal - because I don't know you well. If you know what I mean.
Original post by Drunq
convincing them is up to you if you get your interview. Each interview is different and I can't really talk on behalf for you. First of all, SMASH your AS levels, AAA or AAB. Get your teachers to give you good predicted grades for your A2 A*A*A* - A*A*A . If you get an interview it'll be talking about how you were inspired and it was your dream to go to Cambridge. You showed mental strength just after your GCSEs finished. You were too young to know what you wanted, and you motivated yourself. Things like that, but obviously, more personal - because I don't know you well. If you know what I mean.

Thanks man, but I find it nigh on impossible for my teachers to give me good predicted grades, they never have, and I doubt ever will. Plus many do not like me as it is.
Reply 8
Thanks man, but I find it nigh on impossible for my teachers to give me good predicted grades, they never have, and I doubt ever will. Plus many do not like me as it is.

That's why you prove yourself with very good AS grades. They will have to give you good predicted grades, because, if you manage to get to Cambridge, it will reflect on their success as well as yours.
Original post by Drunq
That's why you prove yourself with very good AS grades. They will have to give you good predicted grades, because, if you manage to get to Cambridge, it will reflect on their success as well as yours.

Unfortunately I'm part of the new course where we do not do any AS, only two year, A level courses.
I most certainly hope so haha. Thanks.
Original post by HopelessMedic
I'm pretty sure the requirements are A*AA?/

Your GCSE's will be well below the average applicant, so you'll need to smash AS to show a big improvement.

Indeed you are correct, I just misremembered, thanks.
Reply 12
Unfortunately I'm part of the new course where we do not do any AS, only two year, A level courses.

Yes but you get an AS grade. Universities use those. AS grades predict your A level grades.
Reply 13
My subjects for A level are as follows:
Religious Studies
English Literature
History
And I am targeted ABB respectively.
I hear that Cambridge do not really care for GCSE's, more so for A levels in which I aim for AAA, I want to study Law, and the Cambridge requirements for this cause are AAA;

Your A-levels are more important than your GCSEs.

And the requirement for Law is A*AA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drunq
Yes but you get an AS grade. Universities use those. AS grades predict your A level grades.

How can I get any AS levels, if I'm not doing any exams in year 12?
Original post by jneill
Your A-levels are more important than your GCSEs.

And the requirement for Law is A*AA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right, I misremembered, thanks.
Reply 16
Original post by Drunq

Many schools have stopped sitting AS-levels in the reformed/linear subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You never know whether you'll get an offer or not! I applied to Oxford with 6 A*s at GCSE, AAAB at AS level, and a prediction of A*A*A* at A level (which I later acheived) and AA at AS level (I took two extra AS levels in year 13) and was rejected! I know people who applied with a lot "worse" grades who got offers. They're looking for a lot more than just your grades!

At the end of the day, you get 5 different applications on your UCAS form. If you don't use one of those applying to Cambridge, you'll always end up wondering "what if I had applied and...?". Just don't get too hung up on the result - there are more than two universities in the UK. I didn't get into Oxford, and I love the university I ended up at and the degree I am on :smile:

Summary: You definitely won't get a place if you don't apply!

Good luck x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by loveire&song
You never know whether you'll get an offer or not! I applied to Oxford with 6 A*s at GCSE, AAAB at AS level, and a prediction of A*A*A* at A level (which I later acheived) and AA at AS level (I took two extra AS levels in year 13) and was rejected! I know people who applied with a lot "worse" grades who got offers. They're looking for a lot more than just your grades!

At the end of the day, you get 5 different applications on your UCAS form. If you don't use one of those applying to Cambridge, you'll always end up wondering "what if I had applied and...?". Just don't get too hung up on the result - there are more than two universities in the UK. I didn't get into Oxford, and I love the university I ended up at and the degree I am on :smile:

Summary: You definitely won't get a place if you don't apply!

Good luck x

Ok thanks, and wow, your results are amazing. And what do you mean by 5 different applications of UCAS form? I'm sorry, but I know next to nothing about these lol.
Ok thanks, and wow, your results are amazing. And what do you mean by 5 different applications of UCAS form? I'm sorry, but I know next to nothing about these lol.

Thank you very much!

And also, you get to apply to five different courses (unless you're applying to medicine, then it's slightly different). So for mine, I applied for Physics (MPhys) at Oxford, Durham, Exeter, Lancaster and York. I was pretty sure I'd get offers from Durham, Exeter, Lancaster and York , so I didn't mind using the fifth one to apply to Oxford :smile: It didn't matter that I probably wouldn't get a place because I knew I'd end up with at least three other offers, so it was worth taking the gamble.

Quick Reply

Latest