The Student Room Group

BM6 Southampton Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Neostigmine
I've moved this to the 2017 thread instead of 2016.

Your qualifications are fine. They don't use the UKCAT. It's all personal statement for interview so just make sure that's good.

Offer is BBC for everyone!

Shout if you have any questions.

On the bm6 website, it says:
"For BM6, the UKCAT score is used alongside all other information as part of the selection process"
Original post by baboy14
On the bm6 website, it says:
"For BM6, the UKCAT score is used alongside all other information as part of the selection process"

The UKCAT gets used if, after interview, they have 2 really really similar candidates to chose between, and then they will consider it. It's not used very often.

Most people ask in terms of whether it is a big consideration as for our other courses we use UKCAT to determine interviews.
Next step: Eligibility Forms

What is this?
A form you'll be sent by the uni asking for evidence to support your widening access status

How will they send it?
It used to be mailed but recently they've moved to emailing it so check your junk mail.

What is my widening access status?
You need to prove you meet 3 or more of the criteria listed below:

First generation applicant to higher education

Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

Young people looked after by a Local Authority

In receipt of a 16-19 bursary or similar grant

In receipt of free school meals at any point in Years 10-13

Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

When will I get it?
Before Christmas if last year is anything to go by. I think it was Nov last year.

What evidence do I need?
This varies with what critria you meet.

Will I be more likely to get a place if I meet more than 3 criteria?
No.

How can I prove I live in an area of deprivation?
You don't need to prove this one. They have a way to check it but if you google "area of deprivation" there are methods of checking it yourself if you're curious. These are complicated though and the result is not guarunteed to match what the uni thinks.

How can I prove first generation to higher educaton?
This seems to be done on a trust basis and requires no formal proof.
Reply 43
Next step: Eligibility Forms

What is this?
A form you'll be sent by the uni asking for evidence to support your widening access status

How will they send it?
It used to be mailed but recently they've moved to emailing it so check your junk mail.

What is my widening access status?
You need to prove you meet 3 or more of the criteria listed below:

First generation applicant to higher education

Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

Young people looked after by a Local Authority

In receipt of a 16-19 bursary or similar grant

In receipt of free school meals at any point in Years 10-13

Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

When will I get it?
Before Christmas if last year is anything to go by. I think it was Nov last year.

What evidence do I need?
This varies with what critria you meet.

Will I be more likely to get a place if I meet more than 3 criteria?
No.

How can I prove I live in an area of deprivation?
You don't need to prove this one. They have a way to check it but if you google "area of deprivation" there are methods of checking it yourself if you're curious. These are complicated though and the result is not guarunteed to match what the uni thinks.

How can I prove first generation to higher educaton?
This seems to be done on a trust basis and requires no formal proof.

Were you emailed these forms?
I have applied and haven't received anything but a welcome email from Southampton.
Reply 44
I've moved this to the 2017 thread instead of 2016.

Your qualifications are fine. They don't use the UKCAT. It's all personal statement for interview so just make sure that's good.

Offer is BBC for everyone!

Shout if you have any questions.

So if someone has already achieved BBC, but retaking, would they get an unconditional??
Original post by Mkbear
Were you emailed these forms?
I have applied and haven't received anything but a welcome email from Southampton.

Read the rest of my post! It says when you will get them.

A welcome email is all you should have received.

I am not an applicant by the way. I am a final year BM6 student.

Original post by Yahya1997
So if someone has already achieved BBC, but retaking, would they get an unconditional??

Unconditional means an offer on ucas that doesn't require you to prove any more grades (either through sending certificates or through doing exams). You will still need to do all of the interview process but if you have already met the requirements and have proved it then your offer could be unconditional.
Reply 47
Thanks or that. I still haven't received an email, is that normal?
Original post by Yahya1997
Thanks or that. I still haven't received an email, is that normal?

Check your junk etc. If it is on your ucas then it is sent. They were having trouble with welcome emails so give it time. Some people were getting emails daily!

If you haven't heard by the end of the week and it isn't in spam then perhaps check with them via email.
Reply 49
Check your junk etc. If it is on your ucas then it is sent. They were having trouble with welcome emails so give it time. Some people were getting emails daily!

If you haven't heard by the end of the week and it isn't in spam then perhaps check with them via email.

Hey, just wanted to ask you know how you said they score your reference + personal statement, how does the scoring go?

e.g. is it equal weighting>>> /15 for ps and /15 for ref and total = 30

or

ps > /30
ref > /15

total 45?
Original post by baboy14
Hey, just wanted to ask you know how you said they score your reference + personal statement, how does the scoring go?

e.g. is it equal weighting>>> /15 for ps and /15 for ref and total = 30

or

ps > /30
ref > /15

total 45?

Sorry where is it that I've said the reference is scored because I need to change that. I'm pretty certain it is just the personal statement that is scored based on the non academic entry requirements and that is the decider for interview. Interview score + personal statement = offers within the context of your whole application.
Reply 51
Sorry where is it that I've said the reference is scored because I need to change that. I'm pretty certain it is just the personal statement that is scored based on the non academic entry requirements and that is the decider for interview. Interview score + personal statement = offers within the context of your whole application.

Oh right, so what is the PS score out of, do you know? And so is it true that this year there is a diff scoring system eg its out of a higher number? Also when i called up soton med admissions, they said it depends all on ps + reference. I get the fact that they give your ps a score but then how would they go around assessing the reference?
Has anyone heard back anything from Southampton yet about interviews or eligibility forms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MIST_123
Has anyone heard back anything from Southampton yet about interviews or eligibility forms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my acknowledgement email they said they would send the eligibility forms in November.
Original post by Fleuves
In my acknowledgement email they said they would send the eligibility forms in November.

I wanted to ask same question when will they sent eligibility form,because last year they sent it in November and closing date was end of November to be submitted.little worried because my son is going on Gap year to another country for 4 weeks to volunteer in a village hospital.His flight is on 29th November so hoping it comes before that.
Original post by Fleuves

Hi my son has just now received his eligibility form by an email from Southampton its asks same information as it states on the website.So good luck everyone.
Original post by S1966
Hi my son has just now received his eligibility form by an email from Southampton its asks same information as it states on the website.So good luck everyone.

I did not apply for the BM6 due to eligibility but my freind did and she has just received her eligibility form by email
I've received mine today too.

Good luck everybody.
Anyone know for eligibility criteria under mean tested benefits,as parent I get child tax credits does my son need to scan child tax credits award letter which I got date from April 2016 to April 2017 as a documented proof.My son already has letter from school that he had a bursary while he was in sixth form he is now on a gap year.It also mentioned that you have to get signed by school as a proof of the criterias.Also how do you proof parents not attended university.
Any information appreciated.
Original post by S1966
Anyone know for eligibility criteria under mean tested benefits,as parent I get child tax credits does my son need to scan child tax credits award letter which I got date from April 2016 to April 2017 as a documented proof.My son already has letter from school that he had a bursary while he was in sixth form he is now on a gap year.It also mentioned that you have to get signed by school as a proof of the criterias.Also how do you proof parents not attended university.
Any information appreciated.

Hi love, yes to your first question. Yeah, the signature is a pain, I'm in a similar boat - I have the letter, but the signature requires a 50 mile drive! I have emailed to ask if it's fully necessary given the letter is stamped and printed on official stationary. I'll let you know when they get back to me.

I don't think parental education level can be proven, they just have to take that one at face value,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending