The Student Room Group

I can't stand anyone with a needle coming near me! but i want to be doctor..?!

i hate needles.. i always have. i got better at them, i can go for a blood test(i'll cry and mabye make a scene but at least i'll go through with it unlike before, also i now donate blood whenever i can but i have to have people around for support.
now the problem is i want to be a doctor its my ambition and dream from elementry school, i think i can use a needle on someone else but how can i be sure? i don't cringe when i see a needle put into someone else, and i watch operations and stuff like that all the time and actually love it so much!! i learn something new about the human body each day, everything about the human body gets my attention regardless of what i'm doing.
what do you guys think ? can i be a doctor?
Yeah you can definitely be a doctor. I've talked to some med students and they've all basically said that if you're afraid of needles/blood/whatever, after the first year you won't be. The start might be tougher for you but I'm sure you'll get over it pretty quick. :smile:
Original post by RawanH
i hate needles.. i always have. i got better at them, i can go for a blood test(i'll cry and mabye make a scene but at least i'll go through with it unlike before, also i now donate blood whenever i can but i have to have people around for support.
now the problem is i want to be a doctor its my ambition and dream from elementry school, i think i can use a needle on someone else but how can i be sure? i don't cringe when i see a needle put into someone else, and i watch operations and stuff like that all the time and actually love it so much!! i learn something new about the human body each day, everything about the human body gets my attention regardless of what i'm doing.

You can't be sure, until you actually give it a go. But I am willing to say with almost complete certainty that you'll be fine. You'll find that the more you progress through medical training, fewer and fewer things faze you, especially if you're doing it to someone else (which is where all that empathy stuff comes in!).
Reply 3
You are aware that students have to practices a lot on each other before they are let lose on patients?
Original post by Hallon
You are aware that students have to practices a lot on each other before they are let lose on patients?

Some medical students choose to practice venepuncture and cannulation on eachother. This is (as far as I am aware, and certainly was the case at my medical school), completely optional and not at all mandatory.

Getting signed off for venepuncture/cannulation involved practicing on plastic arms in the clinical skills labs and then getting signed off on the wards by the junior doctors.
Reply 5
Original post by Hallon

yeah i know, thats why i asked if you think i can get over it
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
Some medical students choose to practice venepuncture and cannulation on eachother. This is (as far as I am aware, and certainly was the case at my medical school), completely optional and not at all mandatory.

Getting signed off for venepuncture/cannulation involved practicing on plastic arms in the clinical skills labs and then getting signed off on the wards by the junior doctors.

thank you i hope that the case in the medical school i have in mind .
Taking blood from someone else is completely different to having it done on yourself. Very common to be scared that it will be a problem, very rare that it is.

Original post by RawanH
thank you i hope that the case in the medical school i have in mind .

No one is going to force you to have an unnecessary blood test I assure you.

You will have to have one or two blood tests as part of occupational health testing, but by a professional in the normal setting.
Original post by RawanH

That makes no sense whatsoever.
Reply 9
Original post by Mvine001
That makes no sense whatsoever.

what doesn't make since to you?? maybe i can help you understand myy situation better. i am pretty good at english but in the end its not my native language.. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
Taking blood from someone else is completely different to having it done on yourself. Very common to be scared that it will be a problem, very rare that it is.

No one is going to force you to have an unnecessary blood test I assure you.

You will have to have one or two blood tests as part of occupational health testing, but by a professional in the normal setting.

Thank you so much. that really gave me a peace of mind. i'm more relaxed and excited now .:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by StationToStation
Yeah you can definitely be a doctor. I've talked to some med students and they've all basically said that if you're afraid of needles/blood/whatever, after the first year you won't be. The start might be tougher for you but I'm sure you'll get over it pretty quick. :smile:

i think so too, thank you so much. i don't really know any real life med students so i was a little bit worried but i'm more relaxed now. :smile:
Original post by RawanH
what doesn't make since to you?? maybe i can help you understand myy situation better. i am pretty good at english but in the end its not my native language.. :wink:

Oh. *he looks down sheepishly*
Original post by RawanH

you will 100% have to get over your fear by the time you graduate and take OSCEs as you will be required to take blood, insert cannulas etc. on a regular basis. We in second year have to take blood from eachother and inject eachother to allow us to learn.

you just need to weigh up whether your willing to go in head first and just do it.
You'll be fine in that respect if you can watch. I have an utterly irrational fear of needles too. Without fail, I faint when I have an injection, yet I've been taking blood for about four years as an HCA now (as well as seeing procedures involving needles a lot at work) and am now a first year medical student. It's absolutely fine when I'm watching/doing, but it's so different when it's happening to you!
Reply 15
Original post by LilithSternin
You'll be fine in that respect if you can watch. I have an utterly irrational fear of needles too. Without fail, I faint when I have an injection, yet I've been taking blood for about four years as an HCA now (as well as seeing procedures involving needles a lot at work) and am now a first year medical student. It's absolutely fine when I'm watching/doing, but it's so different when it's happening to you!

oh thank you so much you just made relax. everyone who know me and know my fear of needles are now encouraging me, but i always said i don't mind doing on others so that must mean there's hope!!!
thank you so much again :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Natalierm2707
you will 100% have to get over your fear by the time you graduate and take OSCEs as you will be required to take blood, insert cannulas etc. on a regular basis. We in second year have to take blood from eachother and inject eachother to allow us to learn.

you just need to weigh up whether your willing to go in head first and just do it.

i'll try my best to just do it. maybe if someone i know and trust does it?
do you think that would help??
Original post by RawanH
i'll try my best to just do it. maybe if someone i know and trust does it?
do you think that would help??

that may help, but we were just allocated partners and had to suck it up. some people chose not to do it alltogether but bear in mind its either have it done to you and do it on your partner or get no practice at all until 3rd year for us.
Reply 18
Original post by Natalierm2707
that may help, but we were just allocated partners and had to suck it up. some people chose not to do it alltogether but bear in mind its either have it done to you and do it on your partner or get no practice at all until 3rd year for us.

i'll just suck it up then,i prefer being practiced and ready. thank you :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending