The Student Room Group

Exeter Uni nightlife

I'm thinking of applying to the University of Exeter. The university itself looks great, but part of my choice is based on the nightlife.

Could any Exeter Uni students tell me what the nightlife is like, please? It doesn't appear to be loaded with clubs and bars.
Reply 1
When I was there and it was 6 years ago, it was nothing special and interesting with two or three clubs being popular among the students. The things might have changed now, but I doubt it.
Original post by IRoranth
I'm applying to Exeter for 2017 entry!

tbh the nightlife does look dead, but I thought with the right group of people and if you're just a fun person in general, you can make fun for yourself. I'm a bit worried about the music selection, lmao- if they start playing like, Madonna in the club... I'll just leave and make my own party. (Lols.)

Haha Madonna at a club I'd be gone the moment I hear the first word lmao.
Reply 3
I'm a fresher at Exeter, been here a few weeks now, though I've not been out that much as I'm not a huge partying person.

But you will find like-minded people here, I know lots of people who really enjoy going out almost every night, my flatmate stumbled in at 7am this morning somehow.. so she obviously found fun things to do last night. Pres are where most of the fun happens in halls, so you can look forward to that. With a good group of friends you can have a good night anywhere really!
Most nightclubs are in the town centre region, so expect a 20 min walk from halls. Exeter obviously doesn't have the clubbing scene of a place like Manchester, it can be quite quiet. Places generally don't stay open past 2-3am ish? sometimes earlier. If you're from a large city you'll probably be disappointed in exeter's nightlife, but if you're from a rural area then it'll be better!

As for clubs, we don't have that many:
There's Unit 1 - formally Arena, which is busy on Monday, Tuesday (cheesy tuesdays) and Thursdays, generally has chart music. It's generally where you might end up on a night out and is alright.
There's Timepiece - this is where all the crazy sports socials happen on Wednesday nights, it will be jammed with students. It has 2 floors with bars and dancing space and is generally a good night.
There's Mozaic or Mozzers, which is now called Rosies, never been really.
And also Rococco, also never been.
The student club on campus is called the Lemon Grove, or the Lemmy. Typical student bar, bit of a school disco feel but is busy on saturdays for 'saturday lemmy' as the clubs in town are busier with locals.
There's one gay club, the Vaults. Never been but my straight friend went in and came out alive
The Cavern was recently in a fire, but this was the resident indie club with a big focus on the music scene.

As for pubs, you'll often find yourself in the local wetherspoons: The imperial (or impy) which is 10 mins from campus, 2nd biggest weatherspoons in the country and it's an impressive building.
There's the old firehouse, which is a pub with very good food, massive pizzas and cheap booze! It has a lovely cozy atmosphere with live music and is perfect for a chilled night with friends.
There's Monkey Suite which is like a crossover between a bar and club, whatever you make of it!
Then there's a few other bars and pubs like Walkabout, Hole in the Wall, John Gandys, Cellardoor and a lot more that I can't remember

I'm not sure I'd pick Exeter for its nightlife
With over 100,000 people in Exeter, I suspect there will be a vibrant nightlife there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by agrew
When I was there and it was 6 years ago, it was nothing special and interesting with two or three clubs being popular among the students. The things might have changed now, but I doubt it.

why are you still on tsr if u were there 6 yrs ago?
unit 1 = they don't do stamps but there's a smoking area where you can go outside and inside whenever you want. the drink prices are okay. the club itself is quite good - a circular dancefloor with the bars around the sides. there's also usually a black dude in the toilets who sells things.

lemon grove = they do stamps. the drink prices here are probably the best. the club itself is all right - just a long room with a bar at one end.

timepiece = they do stamps, the drinks aren't priced greatly but the club itself is pretty good - multiple floors. they have a big smoking area outside - you don't even need to pay to get there, just queue

the cavern = they do stamps. the drink prices aren't great. the place is essentially a relatively small basement club but it's actually my favourite - it's smaller so you can get a bit more personal with people you meet there, and there are sofas all around.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ambera
I'm a fresher at Exeter, been here a few weeks now, though I've not been out that much as I'm not a huge partying person.

But you will find like-minded people here, I know lots of people who really enjoy going out almost every night, my flatmate stumbled in at 7am this morning somehow.. so she obviously found fun things to do last night. Pres are where most of the fun happens in halls, so you can look forward to that. With a good group of friends you can have a good night anywhere really!
Most nightclubs are in the town centre region, so expect a 20 min walk from halls. Exeter obviously doesn't have the clubbing scene of a place like Manchester, it can be quite quiet. Places generally don't stay open past 2-3am ish? sometimes earlier. If you're from a large city you'll probably be disappointed in exeter's nightlife, but if you're from a rural area then it'll be better!

As for clubs, we don't have that many:
There's Unit 1 - formally Arena, which is busy on Monday, Tuesday (cheesy tuesdays) and Thursdays, generally has chart music. It's generally where you might end up on a night out and is alright.
There's Timepiece - this is where all the crazy sports socials happen on Wednesday nights, it will be jammed with students. It has 2 floors with bars and dancing space and is generally a good night.
There's Mozaic or Mozzers, which is now called Rosies, never been really.
And also Rococco, also never been.
The student club on campus is called the Lemon Grove, or the Lemmy. Typical student bar, bit of a school disco feel but is busy on saturdays for 'saturday lemmy' as the clubs in town are busier with locals.
There's one gay club, the Vaults. Never been but my straight friend went in and came out alive
The Cavern was recently in a fire, but this was the resident indie club with a big focus on the music scene.

As for pubs, you'll often find yourself in the local wetherspoons: The imperial (or impy) which is 10 mins from campus, 2nd biggest weatherspoons in the country and it's an impressive building.
There's the old firehouse, which is a pub with very good food, massive pizzas and cheap booze! It has a lovely cozy atmosphere with live music and is perfect for a chilled night with friends.
There's Monkey Suite which is like a crossover between a bar and club, whatever you make of it!
Then there's a few other bars and pubs like Walkabout, Hole in the Wall, John Gandys, Cellardoor and a lot more that I can't remember

I'm not sure I'd pick Exeter for its nightlife

Thank you for going into so much detail, I really appreciate it! What's the consensus from those you mentioned that do enjoy going out a lot, are they disappointed with the nightlife?
Reply 8
Original post by sleepysnooze
unit 1 = they don't do stamps but there's a smoking area. the drink prices are okay. the club itself is quite good - a circular dancefloor with the bars around the sides

lemon grove = they do stamps. the drink prices here are probably the best. the club itself is all right - just a long room with a bar at one end.

timepiece = they do stamps, the drinks aren't priced greatly but the club itself is pretty good - multiple floors. they have a big smoking area outside - you don't even need to pay to get there, just queue

the cavern = they do stamps. the drink prices aren't great. the place is essentially a relatively small basement club but it's actually my favourite - it's smaller so you can get a bit more personal with people you meet there, and there are sofas all around.

Thank you for the info! Generally, would you say you're disappointed with the nightlife or is it satisfactory?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
It's well known for being a pretty laid back, boozy place.

Clearly not going to compete with Manchester or Leeds for nightlife. But probably much better than Durham or St Andrews for example.

Ultimately it will come down to how lucky you are with flatmates and making friends etc

With great people you can have fun anywhere.
Original post by eyeezy
Thank you for the info! Generally, would you say your disappointed with the nightlife or is it satisfactory?

I wouldn't really be able to tell you - the nightclub back in my home town was pretty dead so exeter is at least better than that - it's not as good as, say, london, but it's not so bad that it makes going out a negative experience
i do not do much at night but there are lots of student events happening, and the Ram serves very good food, and drink at affordable prices.
Reply 12
Original post by YouHaveProblems
why are you still on tsr if u were there 6 yrs ago?

Why not?
Original post by agrew
Why not?

This site mainly consists of teenagers and some university students, unless you are still a student (technically) it isn't really befitting of you to be on here is it?
Original post by YouHaveProblems
This site mainly consists of teenagers and some university students, unless you are still a student (technically) it isn't really befitting of you to be on here is it?

lolol this guy nearly in his thirties and still be on tsr couldn't you find any other websites like tsr that would fit your age.
No offence.
Original post by H_Capone_F
lolol this guy nearly in his thirties and still be on tsr couldn't you find any other websites like tsr that would fit your age.
No offence.

That's not me its @agrew.
But yeah I just find it kinda weird how a grown up is on a younger kids forums where it mainly consists of young people talking about their problems or school or inexperienced sex etc. Like it's quite a immature website for a grown up in my opinion.
Honestly I love going to uni at Exeter, as the campus is top, there are great people, good societies, and a really good surf scene. However, im from Mnachester, and i find the nightlife absolutely crap. There are two average clubs, Unit 1 and Timepiece, but everyone seems to thing they are amazing. Has a seriously small town feel to the nightlife. If youre looking for nightlife, go to Manchester, its absolutely brilliant, and why I save my money and go huge when Im home
Heya! Sorry for the awfully late reply but hopefully other people will see this reply! I have just finished my first year at exeter uni and I remember when I was a student with an offer, watching as many youtuber videos as I could to really know what exeter uni night life was like! I would say there's actually so much you can gain from just a person sitting and ONLY talking about it, it's good to see a day in a life vlogs! This very helpful youtuber called francesca michaud does a lot of student life vlogs at exeter uni and she did one titled "Student Life Vlogs: reason why I don't drink, vlogging at exeter uni, day in a life uni experience" which is really worth checking out as it helped me a lot when i was in your shoes! Hopefully this helps xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest