The Student Room Group

Missing entry requirements?

The course I want to apply requires at least 3 three As at A level, my predicted grades are 1 A* and 2 As.
Furthermore it also asks for B and above in (I)GCSE math and English. Problem being I got A in math but only C in English. It was my most disappointing and worst grade 1-2 years ago, considering it had up until then been one of my strongest subjects. Unfortunately I didn't realize its importance and did thus not re-sit it. I will be doing it again this summer if that is any consolation.However will the university simply right me off, upon seeing the C grade in English?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Heck me
The course I want to apply requires at least 3 three As at A level, my predicted grades are 1 A* and 2 As.
Furthermore it also asks for B and above in (I)GCSE math and English. Problem being I got A in math but only C in English. It was my most disappointing and worst grade 1-2 years ago, considering it had up until then been one of my strongest subjects. Unfortunately I didn't realize its importance and did thus not re-sit it. I will be doing it again this summer if that is any consolation.However will the university simply right me off, upon seeing the C grade in English?

Yes, they might do. Basic GCSE qualifications are often used as a 'first sort' to weed out applicants. I would check directly with the department concerned and get any answer in writing.
Reply 2
Original post by Heck me

Universities do tend to be strict with their minimum GCSE requirements. All you can do is ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heck me

Your A levels are fine.
Which english board did you take?
Are you applying for medicine?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Theplace
Your A levels are fine.
Which english board did you take?
Are you applying for medicinal?

I took Cambrdige IGCSE English and no I am not applying for medicinal. The course is politics, international studies and global sustainable development.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes, they might do. Basic GCSE qualifications are often used as a 'first sort' to weed out applicants. I would check directly with the department concerned and get any answer in writing.

What would be the best way to do that?
Original post by Heck me
What would be the best way to do that?

Either phone (but ask for a follow-up reply in an email if the response is favourable) or email.

BTW which course are you applying for, what are your A-levels, and which uni(s) are you worried about?
Original post by Heck me
I took Cambrdige IGCSE English and no I am not applying for medicinal. The course is politics, international studies and global sustainable development.

I had a feeling it was Cambridge IGCSE. It is a problematic exam and there is much about it online. You also sat it in a year with a lot of lower than expected grades. Try to mention that in your reference or PS or both. It should work. GL
Reply 8
Either phone (but ask for a follow-up reply in an email if the response is favourable) or email.

BTW which course are you applying for, what are your A-levels, and which uni(s) are you worried about?

I am applying to politics, international studies and global sustainable development at Warwick. This is my top choice however the only one requiring B at (I)GCSE English! My A levels are German, Geography and Economics. And thank you!
Original post by Heck me
I am applying to politics, international studies and global sustainable development at Warwick. This is my top choice however the only one requiring B at (I)GCSE English! My A levels are German, Geography and Economics. And thank you!

If you are resitting then they'll usually just include the GCSE grade in your offer conditions.

If you weren't resitting then they will normally just reject you outright.
Original post by Heck me

Warwick have no need to be charitable, so you need to check. If they want a B and you want to go there, your only choice is to resit.

Good luck.
Original post by Heck me

You or your teachers must emphasis that you work above C level GCSE in English , as evidenced by your geog, French and economics.
IGCSE English was in the courts for failing students. It is a well known fact. Many state school switched to it, yet their teachers could not adequately teach it.
CIE is a million pound diploma machine for schools who are happy to get C grades, but they ration A* to four percent and also As. The have a policy that two different examiner should can award different marks, and they have no external review process because the are international. The uk god has now banned all IGCSEs from the league tables.
(edited 7 years ago)
You or your teachers must emphasis that you work above C level GCSE in English , as evidenced by your geog, French and economics.
IGCSE English was in the courts for failing students. It is a well known fact. Many state schoolmswithed to it yet their teachers could not adequately teach it.
CIE is a million pound dipllmammachine for school who are happy to get C grades, but they board rations A* to four percent and also As. The have a policy that two different examiner should can award different marks, and they have no external review process because the are international. The uk god has now banned all IGCSEs from the league tables.

There's no need to mention it in the PS or reference. OP is resitting so it will be clear from the education section.
Original post by PQ
There's no need to mention it in the PS or reference. OP is resitting so it will be clear from the education section.

Unis I have spoken with prefer it taken sooner. And as a part of an offer it's a lot of pressure to just do it then, rather than November.
(edited 7 years ago)
Unis prefer it taken sooner. And a second part of an offer it's a lot of,pressure to just do it then.

How do you know what universities prefer?

An offer with a GCSE condition is better than a rejection. No amount of begging in a reference will avoid a rejection for failing to meet GCSE conditions. The only situations where GCSE conditions are overlooked is for mature applicants or applicants from a different education system where GCSE wasn't taken.
Original post by PQ
How do you know what universities prefer?

An offer with a GCSE condition is better than a rejection. No amount of begging in a reference will avoid a rejection for failing to meet GCSE conditions. The only situations where GCSE conditions are overlooked is for mature applicants or applicants from a different education system where GCSE wasn't taken.

I know because I inquired. Who said beg?
The unis stated it should be referenced in the PS and reference....so why not take their advice?
Love the way some people go back and edit their posts to make them seem more coherent, perhaps not realising that their original, less clear, version has been quoted and there for all to see.
I know because I inquired. Who said beg?
The unis stated it should be referenced in the PS and reference....so why not take their advice?

You asked warwick? Specifically about GCSE grades? For the course OP is applying for?

I'm surprised they're answering the phone on a Friday night/Saturday morning.

Anything in a PS about how terrible teaching/exams were sounds like excuses. It's more convincing in a reference but GCSE requirements are generally non negotiable - ie if you don't meet them and you're not resitting (and you're not mature or in a system that GCSE isn't part of) then it's highly unlikely your PS or reference will be looked at.
Love the way some people go back and edit their posts to make them seem more coherent, perhaps not realising that their original, less clear, version has been quoted and there for all to see.

That's what the edit button is for. 🐴
Original post by PQ
You asked warwick? Specifically about GCSE grades? For the course OP is applying for?

I'm surprised they're answering the phone on a Friday night/Saturday morning.

Anything in a PS about how terrible teaching/exams were sounds like excuses. It's more convincing in a reference but GCSE requirements are generally non negotiable - ie if you don't meet them and you're not resitting (and you're not mature or in a system that GCSE isn't part of) then it's highly unlikely your PS or reference will be looked at.

You are easily surprised. Absolutely these matters should be referenced briefly in the PS. There are many schools who cannot teach the subject, omots entering coursework for exams etc. GCSE requirements are generally non negotiable unless you address them....in the PS, reference and also in advance with supporting evidence. Especially so for the less competitive programmes and even for the competitive ones. Generally these issues arise in applications from students from areas or schools that require assistance and the unis are obliged to give come consideration, especially to unis and programmes in the headlines, i.e. Oxford, med school etc...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending