The Student Room Group

Oxbridge deadline panic

It wouldn't be an Oxbridge application without a healthy dose of extreme last-minute chaos.

I'm a gap year applicant applying through my school centre - who I assume are for the most part reusing my references from last year. I submitted my UCAS application on the evening of the 13th and breathed a sigh of relief. I also received an email from my school centre the morning of the 14th, saying they had it, and I'd get my references draft emailed to me though they would be sending the form to UCAS after pasting those in. I had work at 2, and let the school take it from there.

Returning from work at 9 this evening I saw that the school emailed me around 3 after bouncing my application back to me, because I'd make a small error that would take 5 minutes to fix. But now, of course, school is closed and will be tomorrow so no one will be around to push it through to UCAS before the deadline in spite of the fact that I'll have submitted it in time. I've desperately emailed the head of sixth form but it's his professional email which I doubt he'll be seeing now. I also never got my references emailed to me so I cannot paste them within an independent application.

So this is a conundrum.

I plan to phone UCAS when lines open at 10 to explain the situation and then all my five choice unis.

I know I can submit the application without references and contact Oxford to ask if it's alright to give them the references on Monday, but this really is throwing myself on their mercy and doesn't reflect well on me as a candidate!

I've gone to all this effort to make an Oxbridge application and it feels like this might fall apart at the last (well - last of this stage) hurdle.

If there are any other, possibly better options I'd really appreciate hearing them. Thank you :getmecoat:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by elen90
It wouldn't be an Oxbridge application without a healthy dose of extreme last-minute chaos.

I'm a gap year applicant applying through my school centre - who I assume are for the most part reusing my references from last year. I submitted my UCAS application on the evening of the 13th and breathed a sigh of relief. I also received an email from my school centre the morning of the 14th, saying they had it, and I'd get my references draft emailed to me though they would be sending the form to UCAS after pasting those in. I had work at 2, and let the school take it from there.

Returning from work at 9 this evening I saw that the school emailed me around 3 after bouncing my application back to me, because I'd make a small error that would take 5 minutes to fix. But now, of course, school is closed and will be tomorrow so no one will be around to push it through to UCAS before the deadline in spite of the fact that I'll have submitted it in time. I've desperately emailed the head of sixth form but it's his professional email which I doubt he'll be seeing now. I also never got my references emailed to me so I cannot paste them within an independent application.

So this is a conundrum.

I plan to phone UCAS when lines open at 10 to explain the situation and then all my five choice unis.

I know I can submit the application without references and contact Oxford to ask if it's alright to give them the references on Monday, but this really is throwing myself on their mercy and doesn't reflect well on me as a candidate!

I've gone to all this effort to make an Oxbridge application and it feels like this might fall apart at the last (well - last of this stage) hurdle.

If there are any other, possibly better options I'd really appreciate hearing them. Thank you :scared:

Make sure you call them at 9 tomorrow. They open earlier than usual due to the fact it is the final day for Oxbridge applications.
https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/contact-us

They will be able to see the drafted reference that was probably made last year. If they do not have this, you can still send it off without a reference (If no one replies to your email / your reference is not done). Either way your application will be sent off, let us just hope you get your reference.
Try the school number at 9:00 tomorrow, although it is unlikely they may have someone in due to it being deadline day.
Does the head of sixth form or even any of the teachers that knew you have a twitter account they use for work purposes? If so they will probably have the app on their phone and be alerted if you tweeted them.
Also possible that he has his emails come through to his mobile and that he will see your email in time, or that he'll be checking his emails tomorrow because he is aware of the deadline and knows he still has applications to send off.
Original post by elen90

So this is a conundrum.

If there are any other, possibly better options I'd really appreciate hearing them. Thank you :getmecoat:

Try calling any teacher at your school as they all have access to the ucas website
Reply 4
Original post by AlexS101
Try the school number at 9:00 tomorrow, although it is unlikely they may have someone in due to it being deadline day.
Does the head of sixth form or even any of the teachers that knew you have a twitter account they use for work purposes? If so they will probably have the app on their phone and be alerted if you tweeted them.
Also possible that he has his emails come through to his mobile and that he will see your email in time, or that he'll be checking his emails tomorrow because he is aware of the deadline and knows he still has applications to send off.

Honestly, he has a very good idea. Spam every email you know of, every teacher, and just have your fingers crossed. Also what I recommend is you call UCAS at around 3pm as a last resort and just send the UCAS with no reference.
Reply 5
Original post by AlexS101

My old geography teacher has an account so I'll tweet them and hope for the best. Also hoping against hope that the head of sixth will check his email. Cheers!
Reply 6
Original post by elen90
My old geography teacher has an account so I'll tweet them and hope for the best. Also hoping against hope that the head of sixth will check his email. Cheers!

Wake up early tomorrow. Send emails out. Tweet your school / teachers. Call UCAS at 9, hopefully they have a copy of the reference. If they don't, hang up. Keep trying to get in contact with someone until 3pm. If nothing works call UCAS again, and send that application with no reference.
Reply 7
Original post by Drunq
Wake up early tomorrow. Send emails out. Tweet your school / teachers. Call UCAS at 9, hopefully they have a copy of the reference. If they don't, hang up. Keep trying to get in contact with someone until 3pm. If nothing works call UCAS again, and send that application with no reference.

Yep, will do. Although will have to have my UCAS form definitely sent in the morning because - yet again - I have work in the afternoon. And they're inflexible so I absolutely can't miss it. :rip:
Reply 8
Original post by elen90
Yep, will do. Although will have to have my UCAS form definitely sent in the morning because - yet again - I have work in the afternoon. And they're inflexible so I absolutely can't miss it. :rip:

good luck. keep us updated!
Reply 9
Original post by Drunq

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know what comes of it! :h:
Reply 10
Original post by Drunq

My head of sixth replied this morning. I submitted the UCAS application and he's pasted in the reference and sent it off.

And breathe.

All's well that ends well. Thanks again!
Reply 11
Original post by elen90
My head of sixth replied this morning. I submitted the UCAS application and he's pasted in the reference and sent it off.

And breathe.

All's well that ends well. Thanks again!

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!! Happy for you, let's just hope you get an interview now : )
Reply 12
Original post by Drunq
Yes, yes, yes!!!!!! Happy for you, let's just hope you get an interview now : )

PRSOM :h:
Lesson being - don't be so stupid! If you'd have missed the deadline I'd have blamed you, not them. So many last minute things can go wrong.

Submit at least a couple of days early next time!

Lecture over.
Original post by nexttime
Lesson being - don't be so stupid! If you'd have missed the deadline I'd have blamed you, not them. So many last minute things can go wrong.

Lecture over.

Agree
Reply 15
Original post by nexttime

Lecture over.

Did you read the OP? I submitted on the 13th to make way for things going wrong. My personal statement was practically ready on the 10th. My school said they'd get to it in the morning and give me my references. They didn't until the afternoon, nor did I receive references. It's a good thing I did submit it ahead of time.

I also have a hell of a lot on my plate right now besides Oxbridge: work, fundraising, amongst other deadlines to meet. So I really can be spared the sermon.

To clarify - I'm not blaming the school here. A set of unfortunate circumstances led to this debacle, but I did everything I could reasonably do to get this in on time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by elen90
Did you read the OP? I submitted on the 13th to make way for things going wrong. My personal statement was practically ready on the 10th. My school said they'd get to it in the morning and give me my references. They didn't until the afternoon, nor did I receive references. It's a good thing I did submit it ahead of time.

I also have a hell of a lot on my plate right now besides Oxbridge: work, fundraising, amongst other deadlines to meet. So I really can be spared the sermon.

To clarify - I'm not blaming the school here. A set of unfortunate circumstances led to this debacle, but I did everything I could reasonably do to get this in on time.

So which university did you go for? Oxford or Cambridge?
Reply 17
Original post by Drunq
So which university did you go for? Oxford or Cambridge?

Oxford :dance:
Reply 18
Original post by elen90
Oxford :dance:

Keep us updated on potential interviews / emails and offers!!!
MY LAST MINUTE APPLICATION WAS GOING WELL RIGHT UP UNTIL PEOPLE STARTED TALKING ABOUT THE "IN PREPARATION TO HIGHER EDUCATION" SECTION, A SECTION I CAN'T FIND YET HAVE A LOT TO WRITE FOR.

rip me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending