The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unis applied to: Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Exeter and Kings
GCSES: 9A* and 1A
IB predicted score: 44 (777 at HL)
No offers yet, but all have acknowledged except Oxford

Reading all the posts about LNAT are so worrying, I have mine in like an hour and now I'm scared to mess up, plus 4/5 of my unis are LNAT unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Heheboy
I just got an unconditional offer from QMUL 5 minutes ago! :biggrin:

When did you send off your UCAS?
Reply 62
Original post by OSP97
When did you send off your UCAS?

Hey there! I sent off my UCAS application on the 26th of September.
Original post by iman305
Reading all the posts about LNAT are so worrying, I have mine in like an hour and now I'm scared to mess up

Y-You're doing your LNAT at 3 in the morning?
Original post by Abstract_Prism

Probably an international student
But that's not true though.

Source: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2017/law.pdf

I assume that they score each aspect of the application, then the total score has to meet an overall threshold for them to make you an offer.

I mean, you're surely not claiming that they're outright lying, are you?

In any case, if what you say is true about the MCQ being more important than the essay then I'm slightly relieved, because I felt my MCQ went a lot better than the essay. But then again, I've heard the contrary, that the MCQ is not paid much attention and the essay is the most important part.

I think it's all just baseless speculation really.

do a simple search on this forum. you will get the answers you were looking for. LNAT score means everything if you have yet to sit for your A2 or you do not have achieved/completed results. That's how the LNAT uni filters the students and lessens the pool. But if you have already scored A*A*A*, A*A*A, A*AA or A*AB, and are applying in your gap year yet you did badly for your LNAT then they make an exception. They may very well look at your personal statement and referee testimonial.

When I was rejected by the LNAT unis in my first UCAS application I called up the unis and asked them why I had been rejected. They told me the LNAT score of 18 was low for their benchmark that year. I also asked them if they read my personal statement or referee testimonial. They did not answer me but merely repeated the mantra of my low LNAT score of 18.

Original post by Heheboy
Hi Risobelle! I'm from Malaysia. Thanks for the heads up :biggrin: I took Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Econs . I'm quite worried of my LNAT apparently as I didn't score well in my MCQ practice.... :frown:

you have excellent results. even if you did not do well in your LNAT, the uni may very well take you in because

you fall under the exception of an applicant applying post results with excellent grades

you are an international student.

UK unis know that international students pay their fees upfront so these students won't disappear after they graduate and default on the student loans. But the tendency of UK and EU students doing that is very high but the British government is so kind to write off their loans. I have British friends whose sibling have done degrees, masters and phds all for free without having to fork out a cent. After graduation they then disappeared to USA, Hong Kong, Brunei or Singapore. So no worries. I think you'll get into your chosen uni.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10747315/Six-in-10-students-will-have-their-debts-written-off.html

https://www.ft.com/content/13aefac0-fed4-11e4-84b2-00144feabdc0

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-26688018
Original post by emwanza
Thanks Risobelle for the input. I visited the U.K in the summer and had an opportunity to do a self-guided tour of the University of Liverpool. Liked the university and the city! Liverpool and Sheffield are my top two choices.
Enala

liverpool, sheffield, leicester, manchester, leeds are just some of the unis which is not difficult to get into for law. they may pretend to be all high and mighty but in the end its a numbers game. so don't worry too much. sheffield was a nice place. their theme is the colour blue. they have excellent sports facilities. their student bars are ok. sheffield and liverpool are cheap as compared to other parts of UK. if you know you're not the smart type then aim for these unis and try to get first class honours. i have friends in both those unis. the exams are not difficult and they always hold 'revision classes' before exams where they actually hint to you what may be coming out for the exam.

Original post by dontcallmesammy
Except for where they do. Bristol, for example: 15% weighting is towards the personal statement. Yes, the LNAT carries 25% weighting, but that's still 75% of other things to consider that aren't the LNAT.

They're not mutually exclusive. Poor wording.

Again, smells like BS. What would be the point in making you do an essay that didn't count for anything? The point of the essay is for individual Universities to see your writing style. It also filters out people who may have just guessed in the MC section and got lucky. The essay absolutely counts - maybe not towards your score, but certainly towards the decision of the Uni you apply to.

Nottingham better than Bristol? Hahaha, okay. This would make more sense if you compared say, LSE to Oxford, but Bristol is better than Nottingham, if anything the difference is marginal enough that people who did try for Nottingham over Bristol in Adjustment would do so for reasons other than "it's a better uni". Which it's not.

Almost everything you said is hearsay. And nobody has said that LOADS of people get into LNAT unis with a lower score; saying it may be true but that there should only be a few cases is precisely true.

'its not about which uni u graduate from but what you can do with that degree'. i do agree with this statement but only to an extent. but thats not important now. you need to understand that law jobs in UK are practically scarce. so you need to look at emerging markets which welcomes foreigners into their countries to do legal work such as Hong Kong, Brunei, Singapore. These countries have only heard of oxbridge, the 5 london unis, nottingham and warwick. so you have to play it safe.

you want to be a law student but you must be able to listen to other people's opinions first and then research on it before you conclude whether to entertain it or dismiss it. what you're doing now is simply dismissing everything because

your circle of friends have no clue about whatever i've mentioned so far

your teachers have not breathed about a word of whatever i've mentioned so far

you did not practice for the LNAT (my friends who scored 30 and above for the LNAT practiced everyday for a month before they sat for it)

Original post by teenhorrorstory
Update: I have substituted UCL for Birmingham

no worries. birmingham will give u an offer. not many people actually plan on going there anyway.

Original post by Heheboy
I just got an unconditional offer from QMUL 5 minutes ago! :biggrin:

precisely what i told u. your case is special cos you already have achieved grades. even if you did badly for the LNAT, your LNAT choices might very well take you in.

I did practice and I feel it made a big difference to how I performed in the multiple choice section. But I don't think any more practice would have made much difference.

well when your lnat results are released please screenshot them here and then we'll discuss more hence after.
Reply 67
Original post by Risobelle
precisely what i told u. your case is special cos you already have achieved grades. even if you did badly for the LNAT, your LNAT choices might very well take you in.

Yeah I was shocked when i received the offer yesterday! But will prestigious universities such as UCL and KCL treat me slightly lenient for LNAT results as well? I heard that they KCL puts a lot of emphasis on the MCQ while on the contrary, UCL puts a lot of emphasis on the essay. :frown: Anyway, thanks for all the advice given as i find them very helpful! :biggrin: All the best to u too!
Reply 68
so you need to look at emerging markets which welcomes foreigners into their countries to do legal work such as Hong Kong, Brunei, Singapore. These countries have only heard of oxbridge, the 5 london unis, nottingham and warwick. so you have to play it safe.

Utter crap. Outside Oxbridge and possibly LSE no university is widely known on an international level.

Nottingham is a very good law school, but that's it really. Warwick is not on the same level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
I did not have to compose this post but I want to because this forum has helped me a lot albeit only a handful of forum members (i'm thinking 4 or 5 people? :curious:)

I scored 18 in my first LNAT, LSE rejected me, I called them up, the person said sorry to me and to apply elsewhere so I took a gap year and scored 35 for my second LNAT.

You don't have to believe me. But i repeat this again for those who are unaware of this but are willing to hear me out and then do their own research before deciding if i'm speaking sense or not.

Personal statements don't matter one bit if you're applying to LNAT unis. If you score below a certain score which the LNAT uni has agreed by itself within its department to be the minimum mark for that application year then all applicants that have scored below that mark will be automatically rejected. You will be notified of that rejection via the personal portal (separate from UCAS) which all LNAT unis will create for you, provide the user ID and password to you for you to log in. It is in this portal where you can ask the tutor questions, they will reply to you or send them PDF copies of your results etc. Do a simple search on this forum and you will see so many who score 10, 11, 13, 15 etc for the LNAT and the LNAT unis rejected them outright. We will never ever know what the cut-off mark for the LNAT for that year is for a particular uni unless a Freedom of Information request is made.

Look at this link below. UCL first said that there is no benchmark score for the LNAT but then further down it says 'The average LNAT score for offer holders for 2014-15 was 27 (to the nearest whole number). For 2015-16 it was 28 (to the nearest whole number).
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lnat_statistics_3

Admission tutors may say publicly that the entire LNAT and the personal statement is looked at as a whole. But i was told on good authority by those who know that the essay component of the LNAT doesn't count for anything. It's only the LNAT MCQ that matters. The function of the LNAT is to filter those who cannot think logically from those who can, under timed exam conditions. Although I disagree with this thinking behind the unis that have adopted the LNAT, it's their decision and you have to abide by it. If you had bothered to do a simple search on this forum, you will see many students from the past as far back as 2011 who have shared their horrible experiences such as computer malfunction, noisy candidates in the room, failure to prepare for the LNAT MCQ and so much more. All of them were rejected by the LNAT unis and they had to settle for the Russell Group unis.

Anyways for those who scored above the mark set by the uni for the LNAT score, they will then be given conditional offers they must meet in order to gain a place for the law degree. On results day if you miss the offer given, then your conditional offer will lapse but it depends on how much you have missed the offer by. So you will have to contact the admissions team in that uni and practically beg them to take you in. Chances of this are virtually slim.

The conditional offers that were lapsed will then be tallied so that when Clearing comes along, these places will be given to deserving students who FIRSTLY scored high for the LNAT and have done well for the exams by scoring AAA or A*AA or A*AB. Once the Clearing exercise is over, places will also be given to those who have exceeded their offers and wish to go to a better uni.

For example if Joe scored 35 on the LNAT and A*AA and his firm choice was Nottingham who had asked for AAA, he would now want to apply to LSE instead which he can now do so under Adjustment. Once again when he calls up LSE, the admission tutor will first ask him how much he scored for the LNAT and then his A level grades. (If he did not do the LNAT then he will have to take a gap year and do the LNAT and reapply the following year.)

But suppose Joe did the LNAT and scored 35 on it, he will then have to email the LSE admissions team and they will make him an offer over the phone. Joe will then call up his firm choice Nottingham to release him, he will call up LSE to inform them that Bristol has released him, LSE will then make an offer to him via ucase and he will then accept it. This entire exercise in this paragraph is normally done within a few hours.

Joe will not be silly to ask Nottingham to release him unless his place at LSE has been confirmed. Once Joe gets a place at LSE, his place at Nottingham will then be given to someone else who for example had applied to Bristol with an LNAT score of 30 and A*AA but now wants to go to a better uni. So the cycle is such where most people who exceeded their offers will want to go to a better uni. There will be some who are contented with the firm choice because he stays near that uni or he's someone who has lived near that uni all his life and doesn't want to relocate elsewhere etc.

So as a recap for those applying to LNAT unis

personal statements doesn't matter one bit

LNAT score is what gets you a conditional offer

low LNAT score will see the LNAT uni reject you outright via notification in UCAS portal

Lower ranked unis will be lenient on both results days and during Clearing because they are heavily undersubscribed. You'll have to monitor a couple of the online newspapers who will update available places on courses in real-time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/clearing/

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/clearing/clearing-2016-what-do-do-after-a-level-gcse-exam-results-applying-to-university-a7174126.html

It doesn't matter if you've stated in your personal statement that you've done charity work or helped out at the food bank or gone out to the real world to stack shelves at Waitrose. Ace the LNAT and everything will fall into place. They have been cases in the past where people scored 13 in the LNAT and got a place at LSE but it's only hearsay. It may very well be true but those cases should number very few.

LSE doesn't look at LNAT scores, so it's entirely possible that "people scored 13 in the LNAT and got a place at LSE". You got 18 in your LNAT but that does not factor into LSE's decision to reject you. I see on your other post in this forum that you criticise others for not doing research, but I find that so hypocritical since you don't even know LSE doesn't use the LNAT. To be brutally honest, you're just another bum that can't accept the fact that your application wasn't good enough, and hence you blame your LNAT for all your failures.
I did not have to compose this post but I want to because this forum has helped me a lot albeit only a handful of forum members (i'm thinking 4 or 5 people? :curious:)

I scored 18 in my first LNAT, LSE rejected me, I called them up, the person said sorry to me and to apply elsewhere so I took a gap year and scored 35 for my second LNAT.

You don't have to believe me. But i repeat this again for those who are unaware of this but are willing to hear me out and then do their own research before deciding if i'm speaking sense or not.

Personal statements don't matter one bit if you're applying to LNAT unis. If you score below a certain score which the LNAT uni has agreed by itself within its department to be the minimum mark for that application year then all applicants that have scored below that mark will be automatically rejected. You will be notified of that rejection via the personal portal (separate from UCAS) which all LNAT unis will create for you, provide the user ID and password to you for you to log in. It is in this portal where you can ask the tutor questions, they will reply to you or send them PDF copies of your results etc. Do a simple search on this forum and you will see so many who score 10, 11, 13, 15 etc for the LNAT and the LNAT unis rejected them outright. We will never ever know what the cut-off mark for the LNAT for that year is for a particular uni unless a Freedom of Information request is made.

Look at this link below. UCL first said that there is no benchmark score for the LNAT but then further down it says 'The average LNAT score for offer holders for 2014-15 was 27 (to the nearest whole number). For 2015-16 it was 28 (to the nearest whole number).
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lnat_statistics_3

Admission tutors may say publicly that the entire LNAT and the personal statement is looked at as a whole. But i was told on good authority by those who know that the essay component of the LNAT doesn't count for anything. It's only the LNAT MCQ that matters. The function of the LNAT is to filter those who cannot think logically from those who can, under timed exam conditions. Although I disagree with this thinking behind the unis that have adopted the LNAT, it's their decision and you have to abide by it. If you had bothered to do a simple search on this forum, you will see many students from the past as far back as 2011 who have shared their horrible experiences such as computer malfunction, noisy candidates in the room, failure to prepare for the LNAT MCQ and so much more. All of them were rejected by the LNAT unis and they had to settle for the Russell Group unis.

Anyways for those who scored above the mark set by the uni for the LNAT score, they will then be given conditional offers they must meet in order to gain a place for the law degree. On results day if you miss the offer given, then your conditional offer will lapse but it depends on how much you have missed the offer by. So you will have to contact the admissions team in that uni and practically beg them to take you in. Chances of this are virtually slim.

The conditional offers that were lapsed will then be tallied so that when Clearing comes along, these places will be given to deserving students who FIRSTLY scored high for the LNAT and have done well for the exams by scoring AAA or A*AA or A*AB. Once the Clearing exercise is over, places will also be given to those who have exceeded their offers and wish to go to a better uni.

For example if Joe scored 35 on the LNAT and A*AA and his firm choice was Nottingham who had asked for AAA, he would now want to apply to LSE instead which he can now do so under Adjustment. Once again when he calls up LSE, the admission tutor will first ask him how much he scored for the LNAT and then his A level grades. (If he did not do the LNAT then he will have to take a gap year and do the LNAT and reapply the following year.)

But suppose Joe did the LNAT and scored 35 on it, he will then have to email the LSE admissions team and they will make him an offer over the phone. Joe will then call up his firm choice Nottingham to release him, he will call up LSE to inform them that Bristol has released him, LSE will then make an offer to him via ucase and he will then accept it. This entire exercise in this paragraph is normally done within a few hours.

Joe will not be silly to ask Nottingham to release him unless his place at LSE has been confirmed. Once Joe gets a place at LSE, his place at Nottingham will then be given to someone else who for example had applied to Bristol with an LNAT score of 30 and A*AA but now wants to go to a better uni. So the cycle is such where most people who exceeded their offers will want to go to a better uni. There will be some who are contented with the firm choice because he stays near that uni or he's someone who has lived near that uni all his life and doesn't want to relocate elsewhere etc.

So as a recap for those applying to LNAT unis

personal statements doesn't matter one bit

LNAT score is what gets you a conditional offer

low LNAT score will see the LNAT uni reject you outright via notification in UCAS portal

Lower ranked unis will be lenient on both results days and during Clearing because they are heavily undersubscribed. You'll have to monitor a couple of the online newspapers who will update available places on courses in real-time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/clearing/

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/clearing/clearing-2016-what-do-do-after-a-level-gcse-exam-results-applying-to-university-a7174126.html

It doesn't matter if you've stated in your personal statement that you've done charity work or helped out at the food bank or gone out to the real world to stack shelves at Waitrose. Ace the LNAT and everything will fall into place. They have been cases in the past where people scored 13 in the LNAT and got a place at LSE but it's only hearsay. It may very well be true but those cases should number very few.

LSE isn't even an LNAT university....

Lmfao I'm an international applicant it was at 10 in the morning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone,
Sent of my application Wednesday to Oxford, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol and Exeter, and have received acknowledgements from all.
Got 6A*, 4As and 1B at GCSE
Got 2As at AS (my other subjects follow the new system of doing it all at the end of the 2 years)
Predicteds are A*A*A (also did my Spanish A Level in one year so Ive already got a B :s-smilie: there)
LNATs on the 20th but feeling alright about it, just a bit worried about the essay section
Reply 73
Hey guys,
I just sent my application for Law off yesterday
GCSES: 6A*s, 5A,
AS Levels: AAAB
A Level Predictions: A*AA
Universities: Oxford, Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick and KCL
My LNATs on Monday 17th, so I'm kind of freaking out, haven't had much time to practice

'its not about which uni u graduate from but what you can do with that degree'. i do agree with this statement but only to an extent. but thats not important now. you need to understand that law jobs in UK are practically scarce. so you need to look at emerging markets which welcomes foreigners into their countries to do legal work such as Hong Kong, Brunei, Singapore. These countries have only heard of oxbridge, the 5 london unis, nottingham and warwick. so you have to play it safe.

you want to be a law student but you must be able to listen to other people's opinions first and then research on it before you conclude whether to entertain it or dismiss it. what you're doing now is simply dismissing everything because

your circle of friends have no clue about whatever i've mentioned so far

your teachers have not breathed about a word of whatever i've mentioned so far

you did not practice for the LNAT (my friends who scored 30 and above for the LNAT practiced everyday for a month before they sat for it)

For a start, Bristol is in the top 50 unis worldwide for law. Warwick is not.

Secondly, I already am a law student. I've been studying for two years and I'm transferring to Bristol. My grades for the past two years have been 83%.

My teachers? Kiddo, I haven't been to school for a long time. Like I said, I'm an adult with a career already. I've worked both in the military and on civvie street. I don't need a 17 year old kid telling me how things are.

No, I didn't practice for the LNAT, and yet I still scored 32.

I sincerely hope you're not planning a career in law; you're cocksure and over-opinionated, as well as a liar (as one other poster pointed out - the uni you supposedly got into after resitting your LNAT doesn't actually require the LNAT soooo...)

And lastly, law jobs in the UK have competition, yes. That doesn't mean one has to "play it safe" at all. That's a ridiculous sentiment. If I wanted a career in law (not everyone who studies it does), the way to get ahead in such a competitive market is absolutely not being a carbon copy of every other law student out there and "playing it safe". I'm hoping it's just immaturity and lack of real-world experience causing your ignorance. When you've grown up a tad and stop - to be frank - chatting out of your arse - people may start to take you seriously :smile: :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sxm
Hey guys,
I just sent my application for Law off yesterday
GCSES: 6A*s, 5A,
AS Levels: AAAB
A Level Predictions: A*AA
Universities: Oxford, Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick and KCL
My LNATs on Monday 17th, so I'm kind of freaking out, haven't had much time to practice

Having my LNAT on the same day as you! I'm kind of freaking out too haha. Where are you taking it?
Reply 76
Original post by thirdcultureteen
Having my LNAT on the same day as you! I'm kind of freaking out too haha. Where are you taking it?

I'm taking it at 12 in England, don't feel as prepared as I thought I would be. Honestly, I find both sections hard, but the essay section is the WORST!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sxm
I'm taking it at 12 in England, don't feel as prepared as I thought I would be. Honestly, I find both sections hard, but the essay section is the WORST!

Haha I'm taking mine at 8:15 in England!

I also don't feel that prepared, and also find the essay section a lot worse. But on the bright side, most unis focus more on the MCQ score! KCL doesn't even actually look at the essay, from what I've heard!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do well :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by thirdcultureteen
Haha I'm taking mine at 8:15 in England!

I also don't feel that prepared, and also find the essay section a lot worse. But on the bright side, most unis focus more on the MCQ score! KCL doesn't even actually look at the essay, from what I've heard!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do well :smile:

Thanks I hope you do well too.:smile:
I guess the only reason I'm worried for the essay section is because Oxford take it seriously, plus I don't do essay based subjects (apart from Law which doesn't count:biggrin:) so my essay writing is not great.
Also, what other unis have you applied for? (if you've already said this I'm sorry I'm just too tired and lazy to find the post :colondollar:)
Original post by sxm
Thanks I hope you do well too.:smile:
I guess the only reason I'm worried for the essay section is because Oxford take it seriously, plus I don't do essay based subjects (apart from Law which doesn't count:biggrin:) so my essay writing is not great.
Also, what other unis have you applied for? (if you've already said this I'm sorry I'm just too tired and lazy to find the post :colondollar:)

Oh, I see what you mean. As long as you come off as logical and intelligent (which I'm sure you are), you should be fine :smile:

I've applied for Cambridge, UCL, KCL, LSE and Nottingham. What about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending