The Student Room Group

Manchester University A100 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

How's everyone finding the additional online form? Do we have any idea how much emphasis is put on that vs your UKCAT score?
Original post by greenfeather
How's everyone finding the additional online form? Do we have any idea how much emphasis is put on that vs your UKCAT score?

When did you get the form?
I applied on Wednesday and havent had any confirmation yet
Original post by DibbyDabby
When did you get the form?
I applied on Wednesday and havent had any confirmation yet

The form is online on the manchester uni med applications page; you just have to enter your UCAS ID so that it links to your profile. Or theyll send you a link to it on the 15th when everyones applied :smile:
Hi all, under the application process section on the website, it talks about the "UCAS form". What do they mean by that exactly? If it's the personal statement, I'm confused because they said they didn't really assess it. It says they require evidence of knowledge/experience in the UK healthcare system. Again, where do they want to see this information? Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by kayasparkles
Hi all, under the application process section on the website, it talks about the "UCAS form". What do they mean by that exactly? If it's the personal statement, I'm confused because they said they didn't really assess it. It says they require evidence of knowledge/experience in the UK healthcare system. Again, where do they want to see this information? Thanks

Although it says UCAS form, they're actually talking about the non academic form that you'll have to fill out after you've applied to them.

'For 2017 entry, we will use our non-academic information form to obtain most of this information and will only read a small number of personal statements.'

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi does anybody know if graDuate applicants can receive contextual flags based on the school they went to.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but on the website it states if your under 21 then your eligible. I'll be 20 at the time of applying so really hoping this will apply to me!
Reply 86
Jeremy Hunt needs to go!

He's after you and wants a show

to dishearten everyone in his control

and make us doctors cry and fall

until we give in and give him his private goal!

When I say 'us doctors', I mean to be of course :tongue:
Does anyone know when does Manchester start sending out interview invites?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does Manchester treat achieved grades different to predicted grades???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moshe015
Does Manchester treat achieved grades different to predicted grades???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not just for Manchester - I'm not sure if any university treats it differently to be honest!! I'm an international applicant and I'm using achieved grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by Miloinmyblood
Not just for Manchester - I'm not sure if any university treats it differently to be honest!! I'm an international applicant and I'm using achieved grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They treat it exactly the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by Miloinmyblood
Does anyone know when does Manchester start sending out interview invites?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think around November/December. With the first interviews in early January

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhoDaresWins
I got 653.33 Band 2, reckon I should give it a shot?

Hey did you end up applying? I got the exact same score as you, but band 1 but that doesn't even matter as Manchester don't look at SJT anyway!
Our score may JUST about reach the cutoff score but I think I meet both of the contextual/WP flags so it should be fine hopefully!

I'm just worried about the non-academic form!!!!! Has anybody started writing it yet?
Original post by salllllllly
Hey did you end up applying? I got the exact same score as you, but band 1 but that doesn't even matter as Manchester don't look at SJT anyway!
Our score may JUST about reach the cutoff score but I think I meet both of the contextual/WP flags so it should be fine hopefully!

I'm just worried about the non-academic form!!!!! Has anybody started writing it yet?

If you get a WP+ flag then your UKCAT sounds good for Manchester! I've not started writing it yet 😭 I want to ring them up and double check if it's okay to use some parts from my PS or if they'd prefer that I didn't. I was super worried about the form but last time I rang them they said they aren't looking for a checklist of skills etc and the form doesn't cut many people out at all after the UKCAT cut off. So as long as it's good and reflective then it should be fine for both of us (hopefully)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
If you get a WP+ flag then your UKCAT sounds good for Manchester! I've not started writing it yet 😭 I want to ring them up and double check if it's okay to use some parts from my PS or if they'd prefer that I didn't. I was super worried about the form but last time I rang them they said they aren't looking for a checklist of skills etc and the form doesn't cut many people out at all after the UKCAT cut off. So as long as it's good and reflective then it should be fine for both of us (hopefully)

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! What are your general stats and where else have you applied?:-)
Ah, me neither! I need to hurry up though but also got to balance revising for A Levels & BMAT hahahaha!
& I found this link https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/media/mhs/mhswebteam/documents/course-files/medicine/NonAcademicInformationForm_copy.pdf which basically says that you can use your PS as this is what they'll mainly be looking at but not to copy and paste, so I'm gunna elaborate further and provide more detail as I did read somewhere that in certain borderline cases they may look at PS!
That's great! What are your general stats and where else have you applied?:-)
Ah, me neither! I need to hurry up though but also got to balance revising for A Levels & BMAT hahahaha!
& I found this link https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/media/mhs/mhswebteam/documents/course-files/medicine/NonAcademicInformationForm_copy.pdf which basically says that you can use your PS as this is what they'll mainly be looking at but not to copy and paste, so I'm gunna elaborate further and provide more detail as I did read somewhere that in certain borderline cases they may look at PS!

5 A*'s, 3 A's, 1B
Predictions of A*A*A
667 average band 1
Liverpool, st George's and Plymouth!
What are your other stats?
Oooo thank you! Yeah that's a good idea then! I think I'll get started on mine end of next week then! I hated doing my PS so hopefully since I've been through doing that, it'll make this form a little easier (so I'm hoping anyway 😛)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
5 A*'s, 3 A's, 1B
Predictions of A*A*A
667 average band 1
Liverpool, st George's and Plymouth!
What are your other stats?
Oooo thank you! Yeah that's a good idea then! I think I'll get started on mine end of next week then! I hated doing my PS so hopefully since I've been through doing that, it'll make this form a little easier (so I'm hoping anyway 😛)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow they're some amazing stats!!!!
2A*, 9A,1B
ABBC in AS (A in psych, B in maths/chem & C in bio - was 2 marks off a C and got a remark but grade didn't change unfortunately )
Predicted AAA
As I dropped Biology, couldn't apply to Liverpool as I wanted to!
So Sheffield (get a reduced ABB offer because on an access scheme), Leeds (hopefully also reduced offer if I do the A2L scheme), & Bristol!
What a levels do you do?

& yeah exactly, we managed that hurdle and this is just expanding on what we wrote there so can't be too bad!

Applied more than 2 weeks ago now, if you get a WP+ flag then you'll be as right as rain! :smile:
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Applied more than 2 weeks ago now, if you get a WP+ flag then you'll be as right as rain! :smile:

Woo that's great! Where else have you applied?
Woo that's great! Where else have you applied?

Liverpool, Leicester and HYMS.

Manchester I knew was a big risk, I'm expecting a rejection anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest