The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kirstybecs
My driving instructor just got a new car and I hate it so much, I want to cry every time I have a lesson lol

Hill starts and stops are honestly my worst enemy, I have no idea what I'm doing and end up panicking and stalling :frown:

Aw, I'm sure you'll get used to the new car :redface:! I passed my test on Wednesday, and my instructor got a new car end of last week and the first time I used it was on test day, and I was doubting whether or not I'd get used to it, which amazingly I did in the lesson before the test :colondollar:

And with hill starts and stopping, you'll get there, just need to believe in yourself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 821
Original post by ohhello92x
Aw fair enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bet you're glad you passed, third time lucky.

How was the test? Did you do anything different, what manoeuvre did you get?
Original post by fkx
Bet you're glad you passed, third time lucky.

How was the test? Did you do anything different, what manoeuvre did you get?

Yeah I'm relieved tbh, I'm glad I don't have to pay for driving lessons now :redface: :colondollar:

The test was alright, went a lot better than I thought considering it was at the end of the school day with all the traffic :colondollar:! I don't think I did anything different, apart from I think I just pretended the examiner was my instructor, and I felt I wasn't nervous. I got the parallel park :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 823
Yeah I'm relieved tbh, I'm glad I don't have to pay for driving lessons now :redface: :colondollar:

The test was alright, went a lot better than I thought considering it was at the end of the school day with all the traffic :colondollar:! I don't think I did anything different, apart from I think I just pretended the examiner was my instructor, and I felt I wasn't nervous. I got the parallel park :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This time I've booked mine for 9:27am. I had my previous test at 1:55pm, so I'm hoping by that time roads will be clear.
Original post by fkx
This time I've booked mine for 9:27am. I had my previous test at 1:55pm, so I'm hoping by that time roads will be clear.

Ah fair enough :smile:! Yeah I'd imagine the roads will be quieter/clearer for your test at that time of the day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 825
Feel bad for my mum. Remember a few weeks ago I told you about her driving instructor moving and that she might end up having to find a new instructor, well she deffo has to look for someone else now :frown:

The old instructor is only working one day a week now and she has about 20 students and told my mum she would only be able to see her maybe once every 3/4 weeks for a lesson and my mum is a carer to my stepdad and he might not have his license for much longer as his health is getting worse so she has to pass ASAP. She's feeling a bit down about it all as she had hoped to have passed by Christmas and now she is stressed about finding another instructor that she clicks with :frown:
Original post by Spock's Socks
Feel bad for my mum. Remember a few weeks ago I told you about her driving instructor moving and that she might end up having to find a new instructor, well she deffo has to look for someone else now :frown:

The old instructor is only working one day a week now and she has about 20 students and told my mum she would only be able to see her maybe once every 3/4 weeks for a lesson and my mum is a carer to my stepdad and he might not have his license for much longer as his health is getting worse so she has to pass ASAP. She's feeling a bit down about it all as she had hoped to have passed by Christmas and now she is stressed about finding another instructor that she clicks with :frown:

Oh no :frown:! That sucks :hugs:! Hopefully your mum will find someone who's just as good as the old instructor and that she passes her practical ASAP

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I have a mock test next week. If I'm nervous for this, how will I feel when it comes to the real thing???????:redface:
Original post by cherryred90s
So I have a mock test next week. If I'm nervous for this, how will I feel when it comes to the real thing???????:redface:

Just remember, keep calm and I suppose try and treat it like a lesson but not make any mistakes :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Picking my car up today guys, super excited to get it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hermitthefrog
The thing I found most difficult was looking ahead and being aware of the potential hazards (e.g a car coming towards me and a narrowing in the road, so I'd need to slow down to avoid us both reaching that point at the same time). That took a lot of time to be able to do, longer than all the technical things.

This is my issue right now:frown:
This is my issue right now:frown:

Aw, you'll get the hang of it eventually, just need lot's of practice, and more confidence in yourself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw, you'll get the hang of it eventually, just need lot's of practice, and more confidence in yourself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
I suppose I just panic when driving down a narrow road with parked cars. I can never judge if I'll fit, but my instructor has said to slow down/wait if in doubt. My mock test was a complete fail too lol, I hit the kerb many times and even stalled (which I never do) the only thing I did well was the manoeuvre (he gave me reverse around a corner) but he seems to think I should book a test within a month but I'm very hesitant now since my mock went so bad :frown:
Thank you!
I suppose I just panic when driving down a narrow road with parked cars. I can never judge if I'll fit, but my instructor has said to slow down/wait if in doubt. My mock test was a complete fail too lol, I hit the kerb many times and even stalled (which I never do) the only thing I did well was the manoeuvre (he gave me reverse around a corner) but he seems to think I should book a test within a month but I'm very hesitant now since my mock went so bad :frown:

You're welcome :smile:
Yeah you're instructor is right there, yesterday after I pulled out of my road in my car I went a hill and some muppet parked their van on one side while there was another car on the other, had to go slow as I can as I felt I'd feel more safe but my mum then complained that I was going too slow :/ :lol:

Aw bless, maybe you should get your instructor to do more mocks with you, so you get more confident on driving under test conditions, so you don't feel as nervous when you take the real thing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 834
Picking my car up today guys, super excited to get it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How you getting on with your new car? :smile:

Has it sunk in that you have passed now? :tongue:
Original post by Spock's Socks
How you getting on with your new car? :smile:

Has it sunk in that you have passed now? :tongue:

Yeah getting on pretty well with the car thanks, found I got used to the car really quickly :biggrin: but I find that I'm stalling here and there, but hopefully once I've had more practice in the car, then I'll be like I was towards the end of learning to drive and rarely stall :redface:! Plus I'm a lot more aware now that there aren't any dual controls on the passenger side, and the fact I no longer have a driving instructor sitting in teaching me :colondollar:

Yeah it's pretty much sunk in now that I've passed :colondollar: still feels slightly weird that I can drive anywhere and that I no longer need to rely on lifts/taxis/buses to get me to places :tongue: :colondollar: haha :tongue:

How's your mum getting on with lessons? Has she found another instructor yet to teach her? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on passing!! Sorry for being late - havent been on TSR for a while ;(

What car did you get?
Original post by Jack22031994
Congrats on passing!! Sorry for being late - havent been on TSR for a while ;(

What car did you get?

Thank you :smile:! Aw it's alright :smile:

And I've got a Ford Fusion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile:! Aw it's alright :smile:

And I've got a Ford Fusion :smile: