The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing 2017

Scroll to see replies

Got an email last night about having an interview at Surrey! Ahh, so nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by elise68
Got an email last night about having an interview at Surrey! Ahh, so nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow massive congratulations and good luck, when is the interview?
Original post by MDouglas
Oh wow massive congratulations and good luck, when is the interview?

Thank you! Not until 17th November so plenty of time to prepare!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by elise68
Thank you! Not until 17th November so plenty of time to prepare!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good then 😊 you'll have to keep us updated on how you get on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Congratulations! I didn't realise they sent out interviews so early? Good luck :smile:
Original post by emilyyou
Hi, I will be applying for child nursing this year after dropping out of a primary PGCE. How much experience does everybody have? I've worked in a nursery for two years, as well as an after school club for primary age children. I've shadowed a social worker for two days and I've also started volunteering at a Mums and tots group.

I don't have much experience of caring for sick or disabled children as it's so hard trying to get work experience in hospitals! With only 20 or so places per provider, I'm really worried it won't be enough!

Hi!

I have four years experience working with children and I got a few offers from universities this year. TBH I think they're looking for transferable skills too. Like most of my experience was in the baby room but whilst in the baby room I learnt how to effectively read children. This then meant I could kind of communicate with them in a different way which was useful and will be when I'm a nurse. What you have will be enough, you just have to show how what you've learnt is relevant to nursing and how that will help you in your career as a nurse. They're also looking for how you interact with people and what your personality is like. Like you can have all of this experience but then a stone cold heart which obviously isn't very good for nursing especially children's nursing.

Hope it helps. :smile:
All ready to send off my personal statement today :biggrin:!!
Hello, this is my second time applying for children's nursing, I didn't get in last time because my grades were abysmal. I went to uni last year doing early childhood studies however, I didn't enjoy it at all, I knew it was nursing I wanted to do. Although, the course did give me lots of experience with children, so that's a positive.
I'm now doing an Access course for nursing and so far I seem to be getting on better than A levels.
I'm applying for Anglia ruskin, Northumbria, Nottingham, Oxford Brookes and Sheffield Hallam, although Nottingham is my favourite.
I am hoping guiding and my primary placements are enough experience, as I still haven't heard back from my local hospital about volunteering.

Good luck to everyone else applying.
Original post by beckyusher
Hello, this is my second time applying for children's nursing, I didn't get in last time because my grades were abysmal. I went to uni last year doing early childhood studies however, I didn't enjoy it at all, I knew it was nursing I wanted to do. Although, the course did give me lots of experience with children, so that's a positive.
I'm now doing an Access course for nursing and so far I seem to be getting on better than A levels.
I'm applying for Anglia ruskin, Northumbria, Nottingham, Oxford Brookes and Sheffield Hallam, although Nottingham is my favourite.
I am hoping guiding and my primary placements are enough experience, as I still haven't heard back from my local hospital about volunteering.

Good luck to everyone else applying.

I did the access course. Was the best thing I ever did. If I could give you one bit of advice it's work hard from day one as there were a few on my course who lost their uni place by 3 credits not being at merit/distinction. Good Luck!
Original post by ShanSmith
I did the access course. Was the best thing I ever did. If I could give you one bit of advice it's work hard from day one as there were a few on my course who lost their uni place by 3 credits not being at merit/distinction. Good Luck!

I'm loving it so far! My first few units are ungraded (achieved or not achieved) but I'm hoping my tutors will give me an indication of what my assignments would be graded if they were.
Thanks for the advice! :smile:
I'm loving it so far! My first few units are ungraded (achieved or not achieved) but I'm hoping my tutors will give me an indication of what my assignments would be graded if they were.
Thanks for the advice! :smile:

They should do if you ask them. If you need any other advice then I'm only a PM away. The best thing I ever did was buy the book they use at your college. For us it was Human Biology by Boyle and Senior. That really helped me with Biology. For the other subjects I just raided the Library. :smile:
Original post by ShanSmith
They should do if you ask them. If you need any other advice then I'm only a PM away. The best thing I ever did was buy the book they use at your college. For us it was Human Biology by Boyle and Senior. That really helped me with Biology. For the other subjects I just raided the Library. :smile:

Thank you that's very sweet of you! They said they don't have a book they use in particular but every unit they release a list of books they suggest for us to use, most being in the library or cheap on amazon. Already got a mountain from the library which I'm trying to get through, thank god I've got half term to get ahead of myself haha!
Thanks again!
Original post by kmjm
Hi Im applying for childrens nursing in a couple of weeks! Does anyone know when we would get invited for interviews? My friend sent her PS in at the weekend and has 2 offers for history already, is Nursing that quick?!

I sent my application 4 days ago and have already been offered 2 interviews, so yes they seem to be pretty quick with replying as it's quite a long process to get through! :smile:
Thank you that's very sweet of you! They said they don't have a book they use in particular but every unit they release a list of books they suggest for us to use, most being in the library or cheap on amazon. Already got a mountain from the library which I'm trying to get through, thank god I've got half term to get ahead of myself haha!
Thanks again!

Ahhhh, yeah. Always ask for feedback too and take on any feedback that they give you. Boundless also became my best friend as it went into depth - something needed for the higher grades. Also I found that watching YouTube videos really helped when it came to more in depth things such as the endocrine system etc. Good luck!
Original post by georgiapettitt
I sent my application 4 days ago and have already been offered 2 interviews, so yes they seem to be pretty quick with replying as it's quite a long process to get through! :smile:

hi,congratulations on the interviews! What unis are they?

:smile: x
Original post by futurechildnurse
hi,congratulations on the interviews! What unis are they?

:smile: x

thanks! they're for Surrey and Anglia Ruskin but not until the end of November x

good luck,I'm also applying for Anglia Ruskin. When you've had the interview could you help me with a few tips please? My top two are Bournemouth and Anglia Ruskin. X
thanks! they're for Surrey and Anglia Ruskin but not until the end of November x

Hi, is your Surrey interview on 17th November?xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elise68
Hi, is your Surrey interview on 17th November?xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was invited to one next week but I've asked if i can change it because it's rather late notice but I'll let you know when they get back to me xx
I was invited to one next week but I've asked if i can change it because it's rather late notice but I'll let you know when they get back to me xx

Ohh okay, I got to choose between the 2nd Nov and 17th but I went for 17th. Let me know if yours is the same day as mine! Where are you travelling from?xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending