The Student Room Group

Am I screwed?

I was just out driving, I got my licence this week,

I was going down a 30 at about 35-37 and I realised I was on a speed camera, like half way down the markings, so i decided to slow down quickly and got to about 25 by the time i came out the markings. It was dark and I dont think it flashed, im sure I would have seen it wouldnt I?

Question is really:
1. how does the speed get calculated? From where to where, because by the end I was well under.
It would have probably averaged to around 30-32 from the whole thing
2. Would I have seen the flash, there was someone behind me with lights on but would I still have noticed it, I looked in my mirror.

Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
If you didn't see a flash, it's possible that it was out of storage space or film or however these cameras work. They do run out fairly frequently.

Speed is calculated different for each kind of camera. For the typical yellow-box speed cameras, it uses a radar system to judge your speed and a pair of photographs to record the car's number plate (and the pair of photographs taken a set amount of time apart is also evidence of the car's speed, based on the distance travelled between the two photos).

Police handheld speed cameras and the average speed checking machines in police cars are more complicated.

The amount of leeway given usually gets set at ten percent of the speed limit (because this is how accurate car speedometers legally have to be) and then some councils add an extra couple of mph on top of that. It depends on how fast you were going and what your average speed was between the two photographs taken, basically.

I am slightly concerned by the fact that you were both speeding (by a significant amount) and that you failed to see a speed camera (usually a huge yellow box accompanied by very obvious white stripes on the floor). I think you should really be paying more attention to your driving, because (A) you're going to get caught eventually, even if you didn't this time, and (B) you might hit somebody or something.

30mph zones are usually residential, and it only takes one person stepping out in front of you (who is likely to be a lot harder to see than a speed camera) and you could have far more problems than a speeding ticket to worry about.
If there were lines on the floor then yeah, it's an average speed camera and you speed is calculated between each line and then averaged.

At the end of the day, all you can do is wait and see if you get a letter from the police in the next couple of weeks. I believe the notice has to be issued within 14 days of the offense, so if more time than that passes then you can relax.
Reply 3
I don't think there's any point worrying about it. Its done. Its impossible to judge if you were caught because as mentioned they do offer a leeway of approximately 10% and it depends whether on average you exceeded this leeway.

Doing 37 in a 30 zone is stupid though.
Reply 4
Rule of thumb: no flash, you haven't been caught. You would know if it had!
Original post by WoodyMKC
If there were lines on the floor then yeah, it's an average speed camera and you speed is calculated between each line and then averaged.

At the end of the day, all you can do is wait and see if you get a letter from the police in the next couple of weeks. I believe the notice has to be issued within 14 days of the offense, so if more time than that passes then you can relax.

I agree
Original post by IWMTom
Rule of thumb: no flash, you haven't been caught. You would know if it had!

Not necessarily
Original post by Emma:-)
Not necessarily

Was on the way on holiday a couple years ago at about 4am, and my dad was speeding down a road, and it was thunder/lightning outside. He thought he'd been flashed by a camera, and was worrying about it for like whilst we were away, ended up it was just lightning, and no ticket xD
Reply 8
Not all cameras flash and the newer ones don't flash as obviously and you really have to look for it. So not noticing doesn't mean anything.

Source: get flashed by cameras regularly
Original post by mobbsy91
Was on the way on holiday a couple years ago at about 4am, and my dad was speeding down a road, and it was thunder/lightning outside. He thought he'd been flashed by a camera, and was worrying about it for like whilst we were away, ended up it was just lightning, and no ticket xD

That was my point.
Not all cameras flash.
Plus the fact that sometimes you think you have been caught by one and havent.
That was my point.
Not all cameras flash.
Plus the fact that sometimes you think you have been caught by one and havent.

Yeh, easier to just not even ****ing think about it... If you're caught, then that's happened... can't really change that!
Original post by mobbsy91
Yeh, easier to just not even ****ing think about it... If you're caught, then that's happened... can't really change that!

Eactly.
Once its done its done.
Best to just watch what you are doing in the first place i say.
Eactly.
Once its done its done.
Best to just watch what you are doing in the first place i say.

True true true!
Reply 13
Not necessarily

Unless you're in some really dodgy county that doesnt use Gatso's, the rest flash.
Original post by IWMTom
Unless you're in some really dodgy county that doesnt use Gatso's, the rest flash.

Put it this way- i live in south Derbyshire- near the boarders of both Staffordshire and Leicestershire, and the ones in all 3 counties near me don't flash.
Speed cameras give you quite a bit of room. A 30 speed camera will only flash you and catch you if youre going 35. And if your speedo said you were going 35... then you were probably going 32 cause speedos overestimate. you're fine.

Quick Reply

Latest