The Student Room Group

Newbie Coders Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Enginerd.
Does anyone here know which websites/books I can use to practice Java? From scratch ideally... thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

I taught myself java from there. It's the official tutorial made by Oracle.

Original post by BobBobson
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

I taught myself java from there. It's the official tutorial made by Oracle.

Thanks, appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by john2054
Thanks guys, i have now passed the course, thank hell!

Thank heaven, that is.
Of course.
Reply 346

I'm sticking with OOP and angular even if its "so 2015" jumping on every bandwagon like that will not end well.

I mean the real sad thing is your jumping through all those hoops to achieve what real languages do strait out the box.
Original post by INTit
I'm sticking with OOP and angular even if its "so 2015" jumping on every bandwagon like that will not end well.

I mean the real sad thing is your jumping through all those hoops to achieve what real languages do strait out the box.

I don't know if i can be bothered to do the last week of this course, seeing as i have now achieved a passing grade, and it is not going to go up any more?
Does anyone know if it is possible to download Linux to a USB pen in order to boot it to onto a Windows 10 laptop (without creating a partition on the laptop itself), and then being able to actually save stuff onto the USB pen too?

I have to use Fortran as a part of my degree and would like to be able to program at home too, but I don't want to have a partition on my laptop.
Thanks
Original post by l1lvink
Does anyone know if it is possible to download Linux to a USB pen in order to boot it to onto a Windows 10 laptop (without creating a partition on the laptop itself), and then being able to actually save stuff onto the USB pen too?

I have to use Fortran as a part of my degree and would like to be able to program at home too, but I don't want to have a partition on my laptop.
Thanks

You definitely can, but I would question why you wouldn't want to have an actual partition on your pc.

This is a pretty good guide:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13379/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-9.10-usb-flash-drive/

and is also has an alternative method using a virtual machine:
http://www.howtogeek.com/97177/how-to-put-ubuntu-linux-on-a-usb-thumb-drive-without-the-mess/
Original post by l1lvink

Thanks

Fortran IDEs exist on Windows, Code::Blocks is the one that pops to mind.
****. I've been doing real real real badly recently! I will get back into it from MONDAY!!! I hope!! Everyone, keep me accountable! :biggrin:
Original post by BobBobson
You definitely can, but I would question why you wouldn't want to have an actual partition on your pc.

This is a pretty good guide:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13379/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-9.10-usb-flash-drive/

and is also has an alternative method using a virtual machine:
http://www.howtogeek.com/97177/how-to-put-ubuntu-linux-on-a-usb-thumb-drive-without-the-mess/

A few reasons that I didn't want to have a partition: I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'd prefer to do a simpler/safer way, especially since some places say that creating an actual partition can cause problems if done incorrectly.
Thanks for the link. Can I still save Fortran files on the USB if I do it that way?

Original post by _gcx
Fortran IDEs exist on Windows, Code::Blocks is the one that pops to mind.

If I use code::blocks, will it be the same as if I were to be using Linux (ie, text editors, terminal etc)? And can I save stuff using that?
So, I kinda didn't hold myself to when I last posted, but I did have another side project going on, which I think is pretty much over now, so I really don't have any excuses - which is why on Monday I started properly trying to learn Java!

I've also been doing a bit of VBA just because I'm fairly comfortable with that, and thought it'd help me get my head back into the logic of it all, which it did! I took another quick look at Python too - I know the very very basics of Python, but to be honest, comparing Python and Java of what I've learnt of each, I find Java much more interesting to learn... So... yeh!!

class LearningJava{
public static void main(String[] args){
System.out.println("I'm learning Java!!!");
}
}
So I need to use VBA for work, and while so far I haven't really had problems between asking colleagues and Google I have gotten comfortable with it. But I feel like I don't really know the idea behind it. Is it worthwhile taking time to learn the concept of the language or will I just acquire all knowledge as I go along with googling?
Original post by yudothis
So I need to use VBA for work, and while so far I haven't really had problems between asking colleagues and Google I have gotten comfortable with it. But I feel like I don't really know the idea behind it. Is it worthwhile taking time to learn the concept of the language or will I just acquire all knowledge as I go along with googling?

What do you mean the concept of the language?

To be honest, when I learnt it through using it for work, I didn't go through VBA methodically... I was just like, ok, I need to do this, learnt how to do it, and expanded...
Original post by mobbsy91
What do you mean the concept of the language?

To be honest, when I learnt it through using it for work, I didn't go through VBA methodically... I was just like, ok, I need to do this, learnt how to do it, and expanded...

Well when you learn say a foreign language, you don't just learn certain phrases. You learn the grammar, rules, etc. That's what I mean, I am sure there is a certain way VBA is built up.

And yes that is what I have been doing. But was just wondering whether it would be useful to understand the language as a whole better. I mean consider Java, you could also probably just start googling and learning how to do certain things, but I am sure it would be useful to start from the basics and learn in theory what an object, etc. is.

It is worthwhile to take the time to learn the concept language because concepts are a form of abstraction. As human beings, we rely on abstractions. The benefit of abstraction is that everyone understands it and it's applicable everywhere. For example, if I tell you I have a table in my house, I don't need to describe the specifics for you because you and I have both been exposed to enough table variations in our lives to know what a table is.

Understanding why and how VBA came into existence allows you to appreciate the various paradigms of coding, which is important for every other new language you will come across. Having these foundations down mentally will provide a framework for future understanding of other languages and concepts.

An example: a guy studying for CompTIA Networking A+ versus a guy studying CISCO CCNA: the former guy will have trouble understanding and solving complicated network problems, while the CCNA guy will be able to not only adapt to varying problems, but he will also be able to help everyone in every area rather than being stuck with some basic, specific OS knowledge.

Another analogy would be a guy taking certifications versus a guy having a degree: the certifications guy will only know specific low-level knowledge, e.g. studying 'Windows 7 management' or 'Windows Server 2008/2013' versus the degree guy with high-level knowledge: knowing how computer systems function, how networks function, how mathematics function.. knowing these three areas to an expert level is sufficient to understand anything that comes your way; anything!
I can speak for this because I have a degree myself. I went the certifications route once and then I went the degree route and I can tell you, those are two intensely different worlds. Like my professor said: "We educate you to be actual professionals who have a broad range of expert knowledge versus some guy who knows a little bit of everything".

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 571122
It is worthwhile to take the time to learn the concept language because concepts are a form of abstraction. As human beings, we rely on abstractions. The benefit of abstraction is that everyone understands it and it's applicable everywhere. For example, if I tell you I have a table in my house, I don't need to describe the specifics for you because you and I have both been exposed to enough table variations in our lives to know what a table is.

Understanding why and how VBA came into existence allows you to appreciate the various paradigms of coding, which is important for every other new language you will come across. Having these foundations down mentally will provide a framework for future understanding of other languages and concepts.

A guy studying for CompTIA Networking A+ versus a guy studying CISCO CCNA: the former guy will have trouble understanding and solving complicated network problems, while the CCNA guy will be able to not only adapt to varying problems, but he will also be able to help everyone in every area rather than being stuck with some basic, specific OS knowledge.

Another analogy would be a guy taking certifications versus a guy having a degree: the certifications guy will only know specific low-level knowledge, e.g. studying 'Windows 7 management' or 'Windows Server 2008/2013' versus the degree guy with high-level knowledge: knowing how computer systems function, how networks function, how mathematics function.. knowing these three areas to an expert level is sufficient to understand anything that comes your way; anything!
I can speak for this because I have a degree myself. I went the certifications route once and then I went the degree route and I can tell you, those are two intensely different worlds. Like my professor said: "We educate you to be actual professionals who have a broad range of expert knowledge versus some guy who knows a little bit of everything".

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

Well I am not planning on a degree in computer science. I was more asking because I would have to do this on my own time, after work. I'm already learning Spanish and studying for a professional qualification, so I was thinking it probably isn't worth my time, at least right now.

As for the rest, I mean I fully agree, that is why I am considering it to begin with, but it's more, is it really necessary for VBA specifically. It seems like something with so much info online that you can solve most things you wish to do just by googling.
Well when you learn say a foreign language, you don't just learn certain phrases. You learn the grammar, rules, etc. That's what I mean, I am sure there is a certain way VBA is built up.

And yes that is what I have been doing. But was just wondering whether it would be useful to understand the language as a whole better. I mean consider Java, you could also probably just start googling and learning how to do certain things, but I am sure it would be useful to start from the basics and learn in theory what an object, etc. is.

Ohh, I see! Yep, would definitely suggest that as a good idea - what you've said for Java is pretty much what I'm doing at the moment, and I think it's helping me learn Java quicker than I learnt VBA purely because things made much more sense, than random lines of code that I'd learnt...

Also, most/all languages have slightly different syntax, and so in terms of that, it's really useful to know how they're done, because then when learning other languages, it's easier to differentiate them, and for example, I could pretty much make an if statement in Java work, from knowing the different style of Java... So yeh, definitely worthwhile! How's the learning of it going by the way?? Enjoying VBA? - When I got into it, I actually really enjoyed it, probably just because it made excel a million times better and I still use it for mini side projects which I do now and then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending