The Student Room Group

Newcastle A101 Graduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

I have an average of 710 - is it worth me applying?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xloichan
I have an average of 710 - is it worth me applying?

The cut off was 720 last year but you never know :/
Original post by Member1995
The cut off was 720 last year but you never know :/

Thank you! In the end I took a chance :/ oh well
Original post by xloichan
Thank you! In the end I took a chance :/ oh well

As did I, good luck!
Anyone know when interviews go out?
Anyone know when interviews go out?

Last year they started to around the 24th November/around 2 weeks after the UG...you've applied to both if I remember correctly but they'll only give you one interview and judge entry to both on that...or at least that's what they told me when I asked about applying to both anyways! They don't give them out in order of ukcat either, so don't worry if you hear of people with lower than you getting ones if you haven't heard ☺️ They'll get to you eventually!
Original post by greenfeather
Last year they started to around the 24th November/around 2 weeks after the UG...you've applied to both if I remember correctly but they'll only give you one interview and judge entry to both on that...or at least that's what they told me when I asked about applying to both anyways! They don't give them out in order of ukcat either, so don't worry if you hear of people with lower than you getting ones if you haven't heard ☺️ They'll get to you eventually!

Oh thank you for that. Do you know whether they respond to those that apply to both in the UG or GEM batch? I didn't know it was one interview... I wonder what differentiates being successful on either course... Does that mean there's no chance on being accepted onto both?

Did you apply to both in the end?
Oh thank you for that. Do you know whether they respond to those that apply to both in the UG or GEM batch? I didn't know it was one interview... I wonder what differentiates being successful on either course... Does that mean there's no chance on being accepted onto both?

Did you apply to both in the end?

So, what they told me is that as it's an MMI, the applicant gets given a score at the end, let's say for example sake out of 100. The top however many get in, which means a cut off is created just like with the UKCAT. But, also like the UKCAT, the cut off will be different for the a100 and a101 courses (lets also assume the a101 is higher like with the ukcat). So maybe they're gonna assume that if you got into both you'd pick the GEM so if they offer you GEM they don't need to offer you UG so they can give that place to someone else? Who knows, maybe if you were in the top for both maybe they'd offer both, I'm just speculating here.

The one interview thing is just what they told me and it does make sense as you just get given a score which is applicable to both...I have honestly no clue how they'd contact you about that though.

I only applied to UG in the end...have a UKCAT of 727 and didn't want to risk it as we had to apply a week early so the uni could process all our applications to get them sent out on time and at that point I only had the prelim scores to go on which were a lot higher than the overall final ones. Plus, I didn't like the idea of risking two places on one interview which may go either way...

Sorry that was so long; hope it was of some help 😂
So, what they told me is that as it's an MMI, the applicant gets given a score at the end, let's say for example sake out of 100. The top however many get in, which means a cut off is created just like with the UKCAT. But, also like the UKCAT, the cut off will be different for the a100 and a101 courses (lets also assume the a101 is higher like with the ukcat). So maybe they're gonna assume that if you got into both you'd pick the GEM so if they offer you GEM they don't need to offer you UG so they can give that place to someone else? Who knows, maybe if you were in the top for both maybe they'd offer both, I'm just speculating here.

The one interview thing is just what they told me and it does make sense as you just get given a score which is applicable to both...I have honestly no clue how they'd contact you about that though.

I only applied to UG in the end...have a UKCAT of 727 and didn't want to risk it as we had to apply a week early so the uni could process all our applications to get them sent out on time and at that point I only had the prelim scores to go on which were a lot higher than the overall final ones. Plus, I didn't like the idea of risking two places on one interview which may go either way...

Sorry that was so long; hope it was of some help 😂

No no, the length is perfectly fine haha. I see, thank you for that information! That's what I was thinking too, but who knows... maybe it's worth emailing them, however I don't know how quickly they'll be in replying due to all the applications they have to process!

Where else did you apply?
No no, the length is perfectly fine haha. I see, thank you for that information! That's what I was thinking too, but who knows... maybe it's worth emailing them, however I don't know how quickly they'll be in replying due to all the applications they have to process!

Where else did you apply?

If you want I can pop by the office tomorrow and have a chat with them? They're snowed under but generally very happy to answer any questions ☺️ I've applied Newcastle, Manchester and soton UG and then Warwick GEM....as I say I didn't have the final ukcat scores to go on, plus I got a band three which eliminated a lot of choice for me 😂
If you want I can pop by the office tomorrow and have a chat with them? They're snowed under but generally very happy to answer any questions ☺️ I've applied Newcastle, Manchester and soton UG and then Warwick GEM....as I say I didn't have the final ukcat scores to go on, plus I got a band three which eliminated a lot of choice for me 😂

Yes please! That would be amazing thank you :smile: I love Soton, it would have been my first choice, but I was so scared that my UKCAT wouldn't make the cut off and they only allow a small number of grads onto the UG course :frown:
I wish I had applied for Warwick also, but my VR was my lowest score and I wasn't willing to risk it. Good luck for you and let me know how you get on :smile:

Thanks again for offering to ask those questions do me, I really appreciate it! :biggrin:
Yes please! That would be amazing thank you :smile: I love Soton, it would have been my first choice, but I was so scared that my UKCAT wouldn't make the cut off and they only allow a small number of grads onto the UG course :frown:
I wish I had applied for Warwick also, but my VR was my lowest score and I wasn't willing to risk it. Good luck for you and let me know how you get on :smile:

Thanks again for offering to ask those questions do me, I really appreciate it! :biggrin:

Honestly soton is my last choice; is my wild card and the only one I haven't visited. Plus it's the one closest to home and after being the other end of the country for 3 years I don't know if I want to move back yet...always find it interesting listening to people's different opinions on places haha

What exactly would you like me to ask? Just so I get it right ☺️
Honestly soton is my last choice; is my wild card and the only one I haven't visited. Plus it's the one closest to home and after being the other end of the country for 3 years I don't know if I want to move back yet...always find it interesting listening to people's different opinions on places haha

What exactly would you like me to ask? Just so I get it right ☺️

Oh I see haha! I loved Soton. You know when you go to a place and you get that 'feeling'? That was me with Soton, but I didn't end up applying :frown:

Whether it's possible to get both offers if one interview is used for both courses.
How do they differentiate?
Whether the invite will come with the UG batch or the GEM batch.

What is it you're studying at NCL?

Oh I see haha! I loved Soton. You know when you go to a place and you get that 'feeling'? That was me with Soton, but I didn't end up applying :frown:

Whether it's possible to get both offers if one interview is used for both courses.

Ah that's a real shame 😞 I think as far as differentiation they'll just see which cut off you meet but I'll still ask ☺️ I'm just finishing up my Biomed degree so I'm already part of the medical sciences faculty...which means I know the place like the back of my hand; warts and all 😂😂
Ah that's a real shame 😞 I think as far as differentiation they'll just see which cut off you meet but I'll still ask ☺️ I'm just finishing up my Biomed degree so I'm already part of the medical sciences faculty...which means I know the place like the back of my hand; warts and all 😂😂

Oh how are you finding it?
(edited 7 years ago)

Just went and had a chat;

You get notified by email about interviews so the email will say 'you have an interview for the A100 and A101 courses' if you meet both cut offs or just A100 if you meet UG and not GEM.

Offers; she wasn't sure as She can't remember anyone ever applying to Both and then meeting GEM threshold too, but she imagines they'd just offer you the GEM so they could then give the UG to someone else.

Hope that helps ☺️☺️
Just went and had a chat;

You get notified by email about interviews so the email will say 'you have an interview for the A100 and A101 courses' if you meet both cut offs or just A100 if you meet UG and not GEM.

Offers; she wasn't sure as She can't remember anyone ever applying to Both and then meeting GEM threshold too, but she imagines they'd just offer you the GEM so they could then give the UG to someone else.

Hope that helps ☺️☺️

Yes it does! Thanks again for asking :smile:
Has anyone that has a UKCAT under 750 been invited to interview yet?
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone that has a UKCAT under 750 been invited to interview yet?

Think you meant this for the UG chat ☺️ Someone with 747 but that's the lowest I've heard so far
Think you meant this for the UG chat ☺️ Someone with 747 but that's the lowest I've heard so far

No, I meant for this one haha!:colondollar: Just cause some of the same people in the GEM 2017 group have also received interviews :smile:

And... also to revive this chat so we can split the GEM and UG interview invites :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending