The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by munchkin1212
Thank you, that's reassuring!

Out of interest, how does the offer system work? I'm pretty clueless tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They know from previous years how many applications are likely to arrive at any given time. Some universities then offer the best students as and when the applications arrive and hold back the "possibles" a bit longer.

Others use a gathered field and wait until the end to make their offers.

They all give out more offers than they have places. They know that not all their offers will be Firmed, and they also know that not all Firms will achieve the requirements.

It's a supply and demand balancing act that they have years of experience juggling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by APersonYo
Should I bother applying to Bath, if I have average-ISH GCSEs and I'm a resit student?

I got 6 As 1A* 4Bs and a B in Additional Further Maths FSMQ

Last year results: ABCCD( A was in epq)
This years: AAB
Predicted: A*AA

I dunno what Baths' entry requirements are, but if you meet them then I'd say go for it.
Original post by Smack
I dunno what Baths' entry requirements are, but if you meet them then I'd say go for it.

A*AA
Original post by Ali A-R
Do you guys think UCL will accept a medicine personal statement if I apply for chemical engineering for my fifth option? I have already achieved A*A*A* in maths, biology and chemistry. I tried calling them them but got no reply. Does anyone have any information that might help me? Thank you

I dunno about UCL but Birmingham might let u give them an alternate ps if u email them. Birmingham is better than ucl for chemeng btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone submitted to ucas and recieved any offers.

This wait is si fruustrating for me, especially coz ppl from other subjects hav gotten offers already.
Original post by Angeltiger59

This wait is si fruustrating for me, especially coz ppl from other subjects hav gotten offers already.

Yeah I have from Surrey. Still waiting for Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham and Sheffield though.
Original post by Angeltiger59

Nope but it's still early days. The wait is a pain but you must remember that apart from Cambridge, the usual deadline is January and so unis aren't obliged to give handing out offers already. It completely depends on the uni and the department.
Original post by Smack
Have you read any of Sean Moran's posts on LinkedIn?

https://www.linkedin.com/today/author/sean-moran-979b5414?trk=prof-sm

He has written a lot of really excellent stuff, including some tips on how to secure a job as a chemical engineer. I think that anyone considering studying, studying or recently graduated in engineering (particularly chemical engineering) should read his stuff. It's the best that I have found, so far, that explains the differences between academia and industry.

A lot of what he writes is applicable to all disciplines of engineering, with a chemical engineering slant.

Just finished reading through this posts, cheers Smack. Why the hell did I choose to study ChemEng hahaha, what a waste.
Original post by ChemEngGrad
Just finished reading through this posts, cheers Smack. Why the hell did I choose to study ChemEng hahaha, what a waste.

We all know you do a ChemEng degree to go into Finance...it's what the top dawgs do :wink::wink:
What's the deal with Scottish unis and their entry requirements. There is the option of year 1 or year 2 entry and the year 1 entry requirements are lower. Would this be a good idea as an insurance? eg Heriot Watt is BBB for year 1 and AAB for year 2. I'm predicted A*AA so would they be likely to make me an offer of BBB
Original post by mikeread
What's the deal with Scottish unis and their entry requirements. There is the option of year 1 or year 2 entry and the year 1 entry requirements are lower. Would this be a good idea as an insurance? eg Heriot Watt is BBB for year 1 and AAB for year 2. I'm predicted A*AA so would they be likely to make me an offer of BBB

Where else are you applying to? Yeah, heriot watt is so low yet such a good uni. You're probably have to ask the uni but you'd might get alternative offers, such as you get both options and you'll choose depending on what grades you get
Where else are you applying to? Yeah, heriot watt is so low yet such a good uni. You're probably have to ask the uni but you'd might get alternative offers, such as you get both options and you'll choose depending on what grades you get

Thanks. I'm still trying to narrow down my shortlist and struggling. I'm predicted A*AA so I'm probably going to choose 3 courses with A*AA and one with AAA-AAB if i decide I don't think I can quite achieve A*AA and then ABB-BBB for my insurance.
I liked Birmingham and Bath but I haven't visited any other unis so I'm finding it hard to pick 5 courses.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks. I'm still trying to narrow down my shortlist and struggling. I'm predicted A*AA so I'm probably going to choose 3 courses with A*AA and one with AAA-AAB if i decide I don't think I can quite achieve A*AA and then ABB-BBB for my insurance.
I liked Birmingham and Bath but I haven't visited any other unis so I'm finding it hard to pick 5 courses.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Manchester is really good, the department is great. I've personally visited manchester, their classrooms are really modern too. I'm also thinking of applying to Bath? Do you think I have a shot? I' a resit student but Ive been predicted A*AA and I have an A in epq. But, I achieved 6As, 1A* and 4Bs and a B in FSMQ at GCSE so I'm not sure if they'll reject me over GCSEs. What do you think? I've looked at the course for sheffield and it looks pretty good too. Apparently UCL is quite bad for chemical engineering.

Scottish pupils typically finish school and go to university a year earlier than in England & Wales so the Scottish university courses are a year longer. Alternatively they can stay at school and do a further qualification called Advanced Highers which gets them into Year 2 of a Scottish course, or Year 1 of an equivalent English course.
Manchester is really good, the department is great. I've personally visited manchester, their classrooms are really modern too. I'm also thinking of applying to Bath? Do you think I have a shot? I' a resit student but Ive been predicted A*AA and I have an A in epq. But, I achieved 6As, 1A* and 4Bs and a B in FSMQ at GCSE so I'm not sure if they'll reject me over GCSEs. What do you think? I've looked at the course for sheffield and it looks pretty good too. Apparently UCL is quite bad for chemical engineering.

Those GCSEs sound fine, it would be preffered if the As and A*s were in maths and science probably but yeah I don't see why it's not worth a shot. The A in epq means you can get in with AAA instead of A*AA I think so there's that. Idk if resits will affect you though.
Is Swansea good
Those GCSEs sound fine, it would be preffered if the As and A*s were in maths and science probably but yeah I don't see why it's not worth a shot. The A in epq means you can get in with AAA instead of A*AA I think so there's that. Idk if resits will affect you though.

All my As are in maths and science, yeah. Hence why I took maths and science subjects ahaha, my A* is in RE
Is Swansea good

Swansea is average I suppose. The university is very lively and fun though.
Swansea is average I suppose. The university is very lively and fun though.

For insurance
For insurance

Swansea is neither good nor bad. It's not amazing for chemical engineering, but its not terrible either. It's just average really.

Quick Reply

Latest