The Student Room Group

Missed Oct. 15 deadline

I'm an international student so I've been trying to apply to medicine independently. I completed all the sections on my application but I didn't realize that when it said that my reference must be completed it meant that I needed to have my reference letter submitted as well. (In North America, applications go in on one date and then reference letters are submitted by a later deadline.)
As a result, I couldn't submit my payment or anything. I feel awful and I've messaged UCAS on facebook (but of course, they're off for the weekend). Is there any hope for me?
no lol
Reply 2
Original post by Austera
I'm an international student so I've been trying to apply to medicine independently. I completed all the sections on my application but I didn't realize that when it said that my reference must be completed it meant that I needed to have my reference letter submitted as well. (In North America, applications go in on one date and then reference letters are submitted by a later deadline.)
As a result, I couldn't submit my payment or anything. I feel awful and I've messaged UCAS on facebook (but of course, they're off for the weekend). Is there any hope for me?

No, sorry. They don't accept late applications. Not realising isn't a good excuse, because you should have read the instructions
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
No, sorry. They don't accept late applications. Not realising isn't a good excuse, because you should have read the instructions

I did read the instructions. I read the instructions on the page and in the help section. Nowhere did it say that I had to have my reference LETTER submitted before the deadline.
Original post by Austera
I did read the instructions. I read the instructions on the page and in the help section. Nowhere did it say that I had to have my reference LETTER submitted before the deadline.

The reference is part of the online application,it's not a letter.
Reply 5
Original post by Austera

It says you have to submit the application. Obviously a reference is part of the application.

You've learnt a valuable lesson for the future. If you're not sure, ask before something has to be done and not after. This time, your mistake didn't kill anyone.
Reply 6
If you can't submit your bloody UCAS on time who is going to trust you to do a heart or brain operation?
Reply 7
As everyone else has said, in terms of getting into medicine now, you're screwed. However you could potentially do Biomedical Science at somewhere like Newcastle and if you are very good they may let you transfer over to Medicine after the 1st year, but it is very competitive. Besides applying next year, this could be an option I guess if you really really want medicine.
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
It says you have to submit the application. Obviously a reference is part of the application.

You've learnt a valuable lesson for the future. If you're not sure, ask before something has to be done and not after. This time, your mistake didn't kill anyone.

I did ask someone. And they neglected to mention it.
Reply 9
Original post by bigwang
If you can't submit your bloody UCAS on time who is going to trust you to do a heart or brain operation?

Yes, please insult the person who has never applied to university before and is attempting to do so for a foreign country with no provided support or example to go by. By all means, judge my intelligence and ability with no information about me other than that I made a mistake.
Reply 10
Original post by emduck
As everyone else has said, in terms of getting into medicine now, you're screwed. However you could potentially do Biomedical Science at somewhere like Newcastle and if you are very good they may let you transfer over to Medicine after the 1st year, but it is very competitive. Besides applying next year, this could be an option I guess if you really really want medicine.

Thank you. I'll have to talk to my parents and figure out our options, I guess.
Original post by Austera

Eh, there's always next year.
Oh, I'm so sorry! You must feel awful. Sadly, I don't think there's anything you can do, but definitely message UCAS.

Maybe try and see this as the universe telling you something? I don't know if you believe in that stuff, but maybe a gap year would do you a world of good or you'll be happier at a university in your country. You never know!

This is a simple mistake with sadly a large consequence but don't blame yourself for it.
Original post by Austera
Yes, please insult the person who has never applied to university before and is attempting to do so for a foreign country with no provided support or example to go by. By all means, judge my intelligence and ability with no information about me other than that I made a mistake.

Great response! I'm really sorry for what happened, and what is obvious to some people is not for students applying from other countries. As you said, in the US an application is considered complete to submit without the references completed or attached--so that is what is obvious to us. My daughter is a US applicant and the same thing happened to her. She put in her reference contact info as an "individual" and hit the button for UCAS to send the email, assuming that would "complete" that page to enable her to submit. It didn't. She had to wait for her teacher to actually submit the reference to UCAS directly, and only then could she submit the app on her side. Fortunately, she had time as it took her teacher a while. It is very difficult navigating a completely different application system without any help. The counselors at her school know nothing about the UK system--nothing. I spent hours researching things so I could help out, and there were still things that came up. It's very easy for people to make flip comments when they haven't done it. At times, it felt like learning a different language, LOL. TSR is usually really helpful with questions. Anyway, I hope things work out for you.
I'm afraid that the lack of sympathy is because UCAS are very clear in their introductory pages that the reference is required before submitting: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

As an international applicant for medicine places are already severely restricted- there's unlikely to be any university willing to compromise and accept an application days after the deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending