The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool Medicine 2017 Entry [A100]

I couldn't see one so here it is!
Congrats folks, you've chosen an amazing uni. I was an offer holder here last year and am reapplying so feel free to ask me any questions. Introduce yourselves, we are in for a roller coaster ride this year :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Millie-3
I couldn't see one so here it is!
Congrats folks, you've chosen an amazing uni. I was an offer holder here last year and am reapplying so feel free to ask me any questions. Introduce yourselves, we are in for a roller coaster ride this year :biggrin:

Hi Millie how did you find the interview last year?
Reply 2
Original post by alittlejell
Hi Millie how did you find the interview last year?

Hey :smile:
I found the interviews to be very reasonable actually! I don't know if this was true for everyone but mine were in The Crypts which is a really gothic church basement they've turned into an exam hall. Personally, it was hard to get to, so I'd leave extra time for getting to the venue.
Liverpool had amazing public transport and the people are super friendly so the actual getting around part was totally fine
I will say this, there is a lot of waiting with this one. I mean there's waiting for all of them but Liv took the crown. At first you get there and wait for all the interviewees to get there. Then you wait while they check each person's papers. Then you wait for the interviewers to set up (it's MMI). When it's all done you have to wait again. I'm not so concerned about waiting personally but if you're bringing someone along, tell them to bring their phone/iPad/book.
Liv are really secretive about their questions, far more than any other uni I knew so watch out for that.

That's it really :biggrin: I say that's it but I've written a manuscript.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey :smile:
I found the interviews to be very reasonable actually! I don't know if this was true for everyone but mine were in The Crypts which is a really gothic church basement they've turned into an exam hall. Personally, it was hard to get to, so I'd leave extra time for getting to the venue.
Liverpool had amazing public transport and the people are super friendly so the actual getting around part was totally fine
I will say this, there is a lot of waiting with this one. I mean there's waiting for all of them but Liv took the crown. At first you get there and wait for all the interviewees to get there. Then you wait while they check each person's papers. Then you wait for the interviewers to set up (it's MMI). When it's all done you have to wait again. I'm not so concerned about waiting personally but if you're bringing someone along, tell them to bring their phone/iPad/book.
Liv are really secretive about their questions, far more than any other uni I knew so watch out for that.

That's it really :biggrin: I say that's it but I've written a manuscript.

Was there a team challenge or activity as part of the MMI?
Reply 4
Original post by alittlejell
Was there a team challenge or activity as part of the MMI?

Nope, not with us
Reply 5
:bump:
Any grads applying here?
Reply 7
Original post by NafNaf39
Any grads applying here?

Not yet :/ I'm hoping the thread will be a little more full by the end of today! Maybe there's a GEM thread already? Or are you applying through A100?
Not yet :/ I'm hoping the thread will be a little more full by the end of today! Maybe there's a GEM thread already? Or are you applying through A100?

I hope so too.

No GEM thread :?

Both :smile:
I applied last year but didn't get an interview. I think my ukcat wAs too low. I am better this year. WAs there a maths/quantitive reasoning station. I hate those!
Original post by BadLashes
I applied last year but didn't get an interview. I think my ukcat wAs too low. I am better this year. WAs there a maths/quantitive reasoning station. I hate those!

There was a maths station but it was extremely straightforward. There were only 5 short questions and multiple choice, with a calculator. That was last year though, so it may not be the same this time around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Original post by Aleveltimes
There was a maths station but it was extremely straightforward. There were only 5 short questions and multiple choice, with a calculator. That was last year though, so it may not be the same this time around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, I don't agree there. I thought the maths station was hands down the hardest station in my interview. I came out of it thinking "yup, not getting an offer here" (although I did which just shows how awesome MMI is in terms of compensating performance). Yeah I had a calculator but no working out paper. I guessed all the answers (it was multiple choice). I wouldn't say I'm weak at maths, I've got an A at AS and got 740 in QR.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ooh, I don't agree there. I thought the maths station was hands down the hardest station in my interview. I came out of it thinking "yup, not getting an offer here" (although I did which just shows how awesome MMI is in terms of compensating performance). Yeah I had a calculator but no working out paper. I guessed all the answers (it was multiple choice). I wouldn't say I'm weak at maths, I've got an A at AS and got 740 in QR.

I am fine at them too but under pressure and on the spot I am likely to mess up on that. Why do they do they find the need to do it when we have the ukcat to do! Surely that us enough!
Reply 13
I am fine at them too but under pressure and on the spot I am likely to mess up on that. Why do they do they find the need to do it when we have the ukcat to do! Surely that us enough!

All I will say is that the calculations were very...course appropriate. I'm reluctant to give away any more information, but it was something I see us doing in the future. I just figured they would teach it to us in uni :P
All I will say is that the calculations were very...course appropriate. I'm reluctant to give away any more information, but it was something I see us doing in the future. I just figured they would teach it to us in uni :P

Not applying here but they made you do maths!?!? I thought MMI at most would be an actor with a scenario for the HARDEST station!!!?!

I'm scared now for my other choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Jeff458(#17)
Not applying here but they made you do maths!?!? I thought MMI at most would be an actor with a scenario for the HARDEST station!!!?!

I'm scared now for my other choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be! Every med school works differently. And also, I am proof that even if you can't get a single answer, you can still get an offer if you compensate with the others.
As with actors, maybe the first two stations you ever do are awkward. But once you get used to the awkwardness of acting, the real challenge is in what you should say and do, just like the non actor stations.
Hey! How long did it take for you to get a reply back from Liverpool?
Reply 17
Original post by polly.holden9
Hey! How long did it take for you to get a reply back from Liverpool?

Still waiting :/

I suppose it's just different with everyone. I do agree the actual station was hard due to the fact there was no working out paper and text to read but the actual maths involved was straightforward it was just getting to the right answer that was the challenge!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I too was an offer-holder last year and re-applying this year as a resitter. :-) thanks for setting up the thread.

I am also applying for Anatomy & Human Biology BSc at Liverpool, I live in the city & love it here :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending