The Student Room Group

I want to be a Shepard, give me tips

I have a yearning to guide sheep in grassy hills.
Issue is I don't know where to start. No farms around West London, I think.
I'll do my own research however I wanted some of that "Student Room" exclusive guidance.
Who can help me fulfil my dream?!

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by WoodyMKC
Don't shag and/or eat them and you'll probably be fine.

Spot on.
Original post by Rohan187
Spot on.

Lamb curry though :coma:
Reply 3
Learn to spell "shepherd" for starters.
Reply 4
Original post by UWS

Who said spelling was a necessity?

Lamb curry though :coma:

Surprisingly, I've never had it.
Surprisingly, I've never had it.

Two words - Missing. Out.
Original post by UWS

Just what I was thinking. LOL.
Practice your German.
And your barking.
Replace your arms with legs and you're good to go!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Who said spelling was a necessity?.

There's no such thing as a shepard.

But if you want to be a shepherd, then perhaps move out of London, live by the countryside, own some land and rear some animals.
I'll do my own research however I wanted some of that "Student Room" exclusive guidance.

Spoiler

Apparently theres a national sheep association

http://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/news/1302/how-do-i-become-a-shepherd/
http://www.careersearch.com/shepherd/
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/apr/10/how-become-shepherd
(edited 7 years ago)

Spoiler

If you are being serious, apart from learning to spell your future occupation correctly, I think the best course of action would be to apply to an Agricultural College. There is one in Cirencester, or there used to be. I'm assuming you or your family are not from a farming background and therefore have no land? If this is the case after training you would probably need to be a tenant farmer ,which is where a landowner rents out a portion of his land to people for them to use. But you would need to thoroughly look into it,with a business plan etc, to see if it would be economically viable for you.
Reply 11
Original post by UWS
There's no such thing as a shepard.

But if you want to be a shepherd, then perhaps move out of London, live by the countryside, own some land and rear some animals.

Sir, I am taking the piss.
Why UK? How much land is left?

Original post by 04MR17
Practice your German.
And your barking.
Replace your arms with legs and you're good to go!

Spoiler

Always can count on your wisdom, Mandela.

Two words - Missing. Out.

Don't believe it is that good. Tuna sandwiches satisfy me greatly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by markova21
If you are being serious, apart from learning to spell your future occupation correctly, I think the best course of action would be to apply to an Agricultural College. There is one in Cirencester, or there used to be. I'm assuming you or your family are not from a farming background and therefore have no land? If this is the case after training you would probably need to be a tenant farmer ,which is where a landowner rents out a portion of his land to people for them to use. But you would need to thoroughly look into it,with a business plan etc, to see if it would be economically viable for you.

This is actually very helpful.
My father has land back in the African lands, but he's new to this. My mother and father both had family members who were farmers. I remember visiting when I was a young'n and being told to stay away from the donkeys.
Nevertheless, thank you greatly. I am some what seriously interested in becoming some sort of farmer-guy, because why not?
Original post by markova21

Can confirm there is one in cirencester. Might also be one in Lackham but I'm not sure.

Just go somewhere near wiltshire and you'll find lots.
Follow the shining star in the sky
Reply 16
All jokes aside, how difficult do you gents/ladies believe it is to become an archaeologist, as a hobby, without getting a Masters or a PHD?
I'm going through all my career options since "artist" is out the window.
Reply 17
Original post by retro_turtles
Follow the shining star in the sky

I was told as a child that shooting stars were thrown by angels towards the devil whenever he wanted to cause trouble at night.
Reply 18
Original post by Inexorably
Can confirm there is one in cirencester. Might also be one in Lackham but I'm not sure.

Just go somewhere near wiltshire and you'll find lots.

Anywhere away from London basically.
hows about a mushroom tip?

Quick Reply

Latest