The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Yes, it would be fine to do that - it's sometimes necessary to adapt our wording for overseas systems.

Okay, thank you very much!
1) yes you can use a history essay. 2) check with your college but our general attitude is that we don't want you to write things especially for your application.

Thank you for your help :-)
Would it be ok if the history essay is from AS (last year)?
Original post by Strimpy
Hi again, I was just wondering as I'm currently practising for the upcoming HAA test how section 2 will be marked?

As there is no provided mark scheme in the specimen paper or even some sort of indication of how many marks this section is worth, or how an answer should be attempted.

Also is the actual test going to be harder than the provided specimen, as I've just done the one provided (section 1) and scored a LOT higher than the 50-60% that I was told was a good score for the average applicant. Have I been misinformed or will the actual test be harder? What sort of percentage mark are applicants expected to achieve?

Thanks again for all the help :smile:

Section 2 will be marked out of 10, with 7 being a good score. There is a description of what markers will be looking for in the specification for the assessment.

It's important that you don't think of it like an exam and how much each section is 'worth' - they aren't 'worth' anything in the sense that the assessments, individual sections of them, the interviews, public exam results etc. will all be of differing importance for different candidates. In the end a holistic judgement is made, partly on objective criteria and partly on subjective criteria which, when you are assessing the future and not just the past (as you are in an exam), is inevitable in admissions.

All the specimen papers are designed to be representative of the difficulty of the actual assessments so it's good that you are doing well in it.
Original post by Frenchspanish101
Thank you for your help :-)
Would it be ok if the history essay is from AS (last year)?

You're welcome. I can't see that being a problem, most students submit at least one essay from Year 12 I'd say.
What happens to applications which just miss the deadline? For example, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4368532.
Original post by ageshallnot
What happens to applications which just miss the deadline? For example, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4368532.

I'm afraid that they are invalid if UCAS tell us it's late.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm afraid that they are invalid if UCAS tell us it's late.

On the application does it list when the application is submitted? For example what if UCAS was lenient and just accepted some late ones ? If there is the application shows time submitted , do you just toss out all the ones after 18 uk?
(edited 7 years ago)
I am applying for History and Politics at Queens' college. When is the deadline for the admission essays to be submitted and where I could find the cover page?
Original post by Overses
On the application does it list when the application is submitted? For example what if UCAS was lenient and just accepted some late ones ? If there is the application shows time submitted , do you just toss out all the ones after 18 uk?

Interaction with UCAS is dealt with by CAO rather than the colleges directly, but I understand that there is a time stamp from UCAS which indicates whether an application is valid. CAO tells us when the last batch of valid applications have been dispatched and after that applications are invalid.
Section 2 will be marked out of 10, with 7 being a good score. There is a description of what markers will be looking for in the specification for the assessment.

It's important that you don't think of it like an exam and how much each section is 'worth' - they aren't 'worth' anything in the sense that the assessments, individual sections of them, the interviews, public exam results etc. will all be of differing importance for different candidates. In the end a holistic judgement is made, partly on objective criteria and partly on subjective criteria which, when you are assessing the future and not just the past (as you are in an exam), is inevitable in admissions.

All the specimen papers are designed to be representative of the difficulty of the actual assessments so it's good that you are doing well in it.

Thanks, really helpful! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interaction with UCAS is dealt with by CAO rather than the colleges directly, but I understand that there is a time stamp from UCAS which indicates whether an application is valid. CAO tells us when the last batch of valid applications have been dispatched and after that applications are invalid.

So do the time stamps contain the actual time or just a valid/ invalid sign? If it contains the time, does CAO throw out all the ones after 18UK even tho UCAS might deem them as valid if just a few minutes late?
Hi :smile: With regards to submitted History written work, one of the essays I'm submitting wasn't set by my teacher - I chose to do it for revision, then got it marked - what should she write for date of completion, type of essay (e.g. homework) and time given to complete?
Hi sorry to ask another question in such quick succession, it's about the HAA again

How much are applicants expected to write for section 2, I know there are 8 pages given but I'm a bit worried I won't be able to produce that much given the time limit plus the amount of points I can actually think of. Will you get penalised for not writing enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm an economics applicant for 2017 entry. I'm currently doing Alevels in England. I studied in China before coming to England so I got no GCSEs. But I submitted a high school transcripts on SAQ.
I get 3As in my AS level and didn't do AS economics as it is reformed. I'm predicted 3A*s in maths further maths and economics

Would it be a disadvantage if I didn't do any GCSEs?
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry I have one more question. How important is the economics pre-interview assessment on a scale of 1-10 ? If I do really bad at it, I'm afraid I would have no chance of being invited to an interview at all.

I get UMS300 in my maths, UMS 282 in further maths. And predicted 3 A*s in maths further maths and economics
Reply 595
What are Cambridge uni's views on people applying to do a 2nd undergrad degree?

Does this apply to at-interview assessments as well? I found the 'sample questions' for the CSAT to be quite a lot easier than the real ones when I applied last year.
Hi, sorry for bothering you again! I have a few more questions about filling in the COPA:
1) I've entered AP classes and the corresponding AP exam qualifications separately in the topics section, but (for example) my English Lit class and English Lit AP share the same topics. Would something to the effect of 'see above' be acceptable, or would it be better to copy and paste the topics?
2) Should I write about self-studying for AP exams in the A3.1 additional information section, if I've already mentioned this in my PS and the class sizes in E3.1 for those exams are 1?
3) I've recently received school awards in History and essay-writing (applying for History). Is this worth putting in additional information? It's not a particularly impressive achievement.
4) Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but is it okay to smile in the COPA/SAQ photo? I don't want to seem too happy and not serious enough..

Thanks, and all the best with the incoming applications cycle!
Would having further maths at only AS level but not A Level be a disadvantage applying for physics nat sci?

Thanks
Will answers or solutions for the specimen NSAA be released?

Thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending