The Student Room Group

Maths

Is anyone in year11 doing the new maths GCSE, if so what topics are coming from A level maths into the GCSE maths?
Original post by phillipung
Is anyone in year11 doing the new maths GCSE, if so what topics are coming from A level maths into the GCSE maths?

Try looking at the new specifications on your exam board.
i’m in year 9 doing it, and tbh a lot of unit 1 seems to be from the A-Level C1.

The big changes are shown in the attached example questions
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/teaching-and-learning-materials/GCSE-new-topics-sample-questions.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frankielogue
i’m in year 9 doing it, and tbh a lot of unit 1 seems to be from the A-Level C1.

There is no unit 1? It's a linear qualification?
Original post by BobBobson

They may mean Chapter 1/Topic 1 from a textbook.

Unit 1 in the Edexcel textbook.

Original post by _gcx
They may mean Chapter 1/Topic 1 from a textbook.

Oh okay, thanks. I don't have a textbook.

It can be quite a jump. I started with a 4/5 (due to completely flopping my chapter 1 test), but now I'm sitting on an 8/9 :teehee:, (in year 11 having started last year) so don't be too disheartened, it can take some time to get used to after KS3 Maths.

This applies to the OP too ^ (@phillipung). Iirc, Chapters 1 and 9 contain a bit of content from C1 (quadratics, surds etc.), and Chapter 10 contains venn diagrams and set notation (the former being previously S1 content). There's also some stuff like functions and iteration formula which aren't explored until later in AS, but are included as grade 7-9 topics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
It can be quite a jump. I started with a 4/5 (due to completely flopping my chapter 1 test), but now I'm sitting on an 8/9 :teehee:, (in year 11 having started last year) so don't be too disheartened, it can take some time to get used to after KS3 Maths.

I’m the opposite lol. I did **** in my end of year 8 because I didn’t try as hard as I should have, but we just did the Unit 1 test and I got 29/30, or 9, yay.

I studied in the sumer so it wasn’t that big a jump.
I’m the opposite lol. I did **** in my end of year 8 because I didn’t try as hard as I should have, but we just did the Unit 1 test and I got 29/30, or 9, yay.

I studied in the sumer so it wasn’t that big a jump.

Impressive :P It definitely helps if you have natural aptitude and/or interest in Maths :smile: (it appears you have one or the other, considering you got a 29/30 :P)
Original post by _gcx
Impressive :P It definitely helps if you have natural aptitude and/or interest in Maths :smile: (it appears you have one or the other, considering you got a 29/30 :P)

both aha. i had a natural aptidue but i hardly tried in year 8
whats the point of learning set notation even though we arent learning about set theory or group theory. Waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

I'm in year 11 and currently doing the Edexcel 9-1 Maths, My teacher told me I also will do new A-level maths as well, it will be a little bit different and harder than before.
Original post by Weiran
I'm in year 11 and currently doing the Edexcel 9-1 Maths, My teacher told me I also will do new A-level maths as well, it will be a little bit different and harder than before.

That is true. There are no options, now, in linear A-level Maths, you have to do two pure modules (P1, P2) and an applied module (which is half stats an half mechanics). Further Maths still has moule options, with a (new) fourth further pure module.
Original post by _gcx
That is true. There are no options, now, in linear A-level Maths, you have to do two pure modules (P1, P2) and an applied module (which is half stats an half mechanics). Further Maths still has moule options, with a (new) fourth further pure module.

Its scary when you think about how the content for the new A levels havent even been confirmed yet and we are going to be learning it next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its scary when you think about how the content for the new A levels havent even been confirmed yet and we are going to be learning it next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but the draft (probably more or less final) version should give a clear enough idea of what (roughly) we are learning. Luckily, if it's anything like the reformed sciences on Edexcel (not sure about the other exam boards), the (notional, for AS) grade boundaries will be quite a bit lower. It does however mean that we don't have any past papers :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest