The Student Room Group

Hardest part of M1?

I've started M1 this year and I'm enjoying it so far, it's so much more logical and simpler than S1. But we haven't covered a huge deal yet, just suvat, resolving, N2/N2 on a slope, pulleys and I covered vectors myself. I'm finding it easy and I'm just wondering what you found the hardest in M1. My friend said she thought pulleys on a slope were the worst.

Please tell me your humble onions.

Scroll to see replies

people tend to find the suvat questions where you form simultaneous equations tricky...

also projectile questions.*
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
people tend to find the suvat questions where you form simultaneous equations tricky...

You mean the ones where one particle is fired after the other and collide and you have to use: t-1 for one of them and then solve the simeqs?
Original post by Qinge
You mean the ones where one particle is fired after the other and collide and you have to use: t-1 for one of them and then solve the simeqs?

i was thinking about

"a car passes point A at p m/s and point B at q m/s 8 seconds later...." *
Original post by Qinge
I've started M1 this year and I'm enjoying it so far, it's so much more logical and simpler than S1. But we haven't covered a huge deal yet, just suvat, resolving, N2/N2 on a slope, pulleys and I covered vectors myself. I'm finding it easy and I'm just wondering what you found the hardest in M1. My friend said she thought pulleys on a slope were the worst.

Please tell me your humble onions.

May God help you. Just kidding but I found M1 to be the hardest out of all of the Maths exams I had. I got through the textbook quite fast but when I tried applying it to exam papers that where I struggled but over time got use tot them. Yes the pulleys is difficult and I think the Vectors one can also get tricky.
Reply 5
Original post by Raizelcadres
May God help you. Just kidding but I found M1 to be the hardest out of all of the Maths exams I had. I got through the textbook quite fast but when I tried applying it to exam papers that where I struggled but over time got use tot them. Yes the pulleys is difficult and I think the Vectors one can also get tricky.

The thing I find most annoying about M1 is that the textbook is so badly laid out, personally, I think that vectors should be chap.2 rather than the last as, well, forces are vectors.

I haven't had too much experience with past papers as when I try to do questions many contain elements which I haven't cover yet.

I found S1 the hardest, I know this may sound like a dumb reason: but there were too many numbers.
I thought the mechanics involving slopes and pulleys was the hardest part. Took quite a while to click for me.
Original post by the bear

Projectiles are the best tho :love:

Original post by Plagioclase
I thought the mechanics involving slopes and pulleys was the hardest part. Took quite a while to click for me.

Ditto
Reply 8
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Projectiles are the best tho :love:

Ditto

Ironically I find slope questions the easiest, it's always the same 'formula' which is good.
Reply 9
It was all quite nice but i remember having a problem understanding those dynamics lift questions at first. They've come up in the past couple of years.
Original post by Qinge
The thing I find most annoying about M1 is that the textbook is so badly laid out, personally, I think that vectors should be chap.2 rather than the last as, well, forces are vectors.

I haven't had too much experience with past papers as when I try to do questions many contain elements which I haven't cover yet.

I found S1 the hardest, I know this may sound like a dumb reason: but there were too many numbers.

Which exam board are you doing? Don't worry the reason why S1 is "hard" is because its so uninteresting however S2 is the complete opposite and many people I know find S1 harder than M1 so don't sweat it.
I found vectors and moments to be the hardest.

However, I weirdly found the pulley and slope questions easy! (Except the last parts to the question lmao, like find the time between x and y)
Reply 12
Which exam board are you doing? Don't worry the reason why S1 is "hard" is because its so uninteresting however S2 is the complete opposite and many people I know find S1 harder than M1 so don't sweat it.

I do edexcel I think almost everyone does, all my friends regardless of school do edexcel but hey maybe it's just a London thing.

No offense to my teacher he would be like S1 is great and not shut up but I found his lessons boring.

My M1 teacher is literally an angel, love her. But I think I might also find M1 easier as I do Physics so quite a lot of what was in Mechanics part of physics comes up in M1.

I do want to be a Mechanical Engineer so I got to like this stuff haha
Reply 13

I do edexcel I think almost everyone does, all my friends regardless of school do edexcel but hey maybe it's just a London thing.

No offense to my teacher he would be like S1 is great and not shut up but I found his lessons boring.

My M1 teacher is literally an angel, love her. But I think I might also find M1 easier as I do Physics so quite a lot of what was in Mechanics part of physics comes up in M1.

I do want to be a Mechanical Engineer so I got to like this stuff haha
Reply 14
Original post by jamestg
I found vectors and moments to be the hardest.

However, I weirdly found the pulley and slope questions easy! (Except the last parts to the question lmao, like find the time between x and y)

But isn't the last part just using suvat?

as they tend to give you v, u is usually 0 as it's at rest, a is calculated from the slope and s is given or you have to calculate same with t.
Original post by Qinge
But isn't the last part just using suvat?

as they tend to give you v, u is usually 0 as it's at rest, a is calculated from the slope and s is given or you have to calculate same with t.

Yes but it's using SUVAT multiple times (usually three times) and each time the variables change (some changes are obvious, others less so). But the questions are formulaic so you'll be able to answer them come the exam.
I never understood the questions lol

Original post by Qinge
Ironically I find slope questions the easiest, it's always the same 'formula' which is good.
Reply 17
Original post by jamestg
Yes but it's using SUVAT multiple times (usually three times) and each time the variables change (some changes are obvious, others less so). But the questions are formulaic so you'll be able to answer them come the exam.

Yeah, I haven't done loads of exam questions as it's hard doing an exam when you can't do every other question, as we haven't learnt all of the M1 yet and a lot of it does mix various chapters in one question.

I should probably find some student slayer questions to practice.
Reply 18
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I never understood the questions lol

But was that due to the weird wording or another factor?
Original post by Qinge
But was that due to the weird wording or another factor?

That could be me being excessively stupid :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest