The Student Room Group

Is this an Orthodontic Emergency

I have braces and where I had teeth extracted, there are permanent elastic bands on the bottom, between the gaps, to pull the teeth closer together. Today, the glue on one of the brackets no longer worked and the elastic band was pulling the back bracket closer to the bracket next to it, it was pushing up against it. I removed the elastic band but the bracket is still sliding on the back of the wire and the other elastic band on the other side is still in place. Should I call the Orthodontist out of hours? They are closed until Monday morning and I'm worried. Any advice?
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
I have braces and where I had teeth extracted, there are permanent elastic bands on the bottom, between the gaps, to pull the teeth closer together. Today, the glue on one of the brackets no longer worked and the elastic band was pulling the back bracket closer to the bracket next to it, it was pushing up against it. I removed the elastic band but the bracket is still sliding on the back of the wire and the other elastic band on the other side is still in place. Should I call the Orthodontist out of hours? They are closed until Monday morning and I'm worried. Any advice?

It should be okay :smile: call them first thing Monday and try and get an appointment for next week but it shouldn't be a problem. Just means your teeth won't have moved as far (or gone back a bit) but they'll have seen hundreds of people like you and it's really not a problem. Good luck!
Original post by furryface12
It should be okay :smile: call them first thing Monday and try and get an appointment for next week but it shouldn't be a problem. Just means your teeth won't have moved as far (or gone back a bit) but they'll have seen hundreds of people like you and it's really not a problem. Good luck!

Thank you! Need to make sure I get an appointment on/before Tuesday as I will be on a school trip for like 2 weeks after.
Thank you! Need to make sure I get an appointment on/before Tuesday as I will be on a school trip for like 2 weeks after.

Make sure you tell them that and hopefully they'll be able to fit you in! Enjoy your trip :smile:
Reply 4

Call 111 and there is an option for dental issues. They can tell you how urgently to see somebody. Also if you're unsure you can always call the after hours to ask.
I don't know much about braces, but I would say that unless it gets worse you can just be careful with them and call first thing monday. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest