The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YouHaveProblems
Lmao is is like McDonald's handing out flyers in Nandos

Hahaha. Incredible line.
Original post by mj14097
Hi, I would like some advice please

I am on a second gap year A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths, A at AS Further Maths (on my gap year I done A2 further maths and got an A*, i know this does not count).
723 7A*s and 4 A's GCSE
Work Experience at Hospital, GP Surgery, Pharmacy, Tanzanian Hospital, Care Home, I tutor GCSE Student and Coach Martial Arts

Last year I got rejected with 685 Band 3 from Kings(interview) Queen Mary(interview) SGUL(interview) Notts(no interview)

Is it worth while to reapply to kings. i'm planning to apply to Leicester and Manchester. Not sure about the 4th, Glasgow, keele, uea, exeter?

Yes it's worthwhile.
I know that this has nothing to do with KCL, but KCL was one of my options. I made a mistake on my personal statement, I misread something and forgot to delete the letter 'a.' I'm so annoyed I was nervous about it towards the end and made this silly mistake. Do you think this stupid mistake will reduce my chances of receiving an interview at all? I would appreciate any help, thanks!
Original post by j4mil417
I know that this has nothing to do with KCL, but KCL was one of my options. I made a mistake on my personal statement, I misread something and forgot to delete the letter 'a.' I'm so annoyed I was nervous about it towards the end and made this silly mistake. Do you think this stupid mistake will reduce my chances of receiving an interview at all? I would appreciate any help, thanks!

A minor mistake like that won't hinder your chances lol don't worry. As long as the rest of your statement is well written and grammatically correct, it's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
A minor mistake like that won't hinder your chances lol don't worry. As long as the rest of your statement is well written and grammatically correct, it's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply, I really hope not. I have given my best shot at everything and really hope everything goes well. Lets say I don't receive any offers, will I have a chance at clearing? Or was this year with St Georges an one off?
Original post by plutojupitermars
Thanks :smile: So you think it's a good idea applying even though I will be competing against 1st class degrees? I'm just worried since KCL explicitly state that UKCAT is not the sole indicator for interview selection.

for the 4 year or 5 year?
Thanks for the reply, I really hope not. I have given my best shot at everything and really hope everything goes well. Lets say I don't receive any offers, will I have a chance at clearing? Or was this year with St Georges an one off?

You should be able to apply to St George's through clearing. Maybe even more universities will offer medicine in clearing than last year because the number of applicants to medical school is decreasing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a really strong ps and am predicted really good a level grades as well as having really good grades in my o levels. Its just my ukcat score thats worrying me. I had 650 in one, 620 in the other, band 1 in the SJT but had a low score in the third. What are my chances with KCL?Its just that one part of my application that I'm worried about.
Original post by ASTK98
You should be able to apply to St George's through clearing. Maybe even more universities will offer medicine in clearing than last year because the number of applicants to medical school is decreasing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for helping me out with that as well. Oh really?! I didn't think that was the case, I honestly thought it was increasing. But I guess it is getting harder and harder for applicants.
Original post by ZainabBaber
I have a really strong ps and am predicted really good a level grades as well as having really good grades in my o levels. Its just my ukcat score thats worrying me. I had 650 in one, 620 in the other, band 1 in the SJT but had a low score in the third. What are my chances with KCL?Its just that one part of my application that I'm worried about.

Well they use all aspects of the application. What was your score in the other subtest? They use the average. As long as the rest is exceptional then it shouldn't be a worry.
Original post by ZainabBaber

They look at your application holistically, so as long as other bits are good you still stand a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for helping me out with that as well. Oh really?! I didn't think that was the case, I honestly thought it was increasing. But I guess it is getting harder and harder for applicants.

Think more people are being put off by what they see in the news about the NHS/junior doctors tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE: 5A* 6As
A Level Predictions: A*AA
UKCAT: 757 average (but band 3 in SJ)
Strong personal statement
(Work experience and volunteering in a care home, geriatrics ward and Great Ormond Street Hospital)

Do I have a chance of being interviewed?
I'm really worried about my situational judgement score!
I applied to kings college medicine A100!!!
My stats are
IB 40
Ukcat 726.7 band 3(I know, slim chance)
Strong PS
Strong resume/exp.

Wish me luck comrades!
Original post by lumosbludger183
Lol to baby girl. So from reading their website 100x, and emailing admission (though admittedly not about the 2.1 Q), I believe, while obviously having a first is great, a 2.1 with a high UKCAT (we have the same score btw!) and a solid PS/ reference will be enough. What King's means by the UKCAT not being the sole indicator is that they like to take a holistic approach in looking at your app - so they'll use UKCAT first most likely and make some cuts and then make sure we're not complete idiots my looking at our degree (also 2.1 haha) and PS/ref. At least that's what I got from all their info and reading a bunch of TSR threads!

Best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did not think they differentiated between 2:1 and 1:1.
Original post by Lostperson

ay cuz where are you applying?
Original post by YouHaveProblems
ay cuz where are you applying?

Babygirl I'm applying to kings , Glasgow , Newcastle and Oxford
Babygirl I'm applying to kings , Glasgow , Newcastle and Oxford

hahahahahahaha everyone always ignores when i call it them. We applied to two of the same unis :five:

I'm not sure if they do! I've never seen it explicitly stated that they prefer 1.1 over 2.1, I just figured it's probably worth more since it's a higher degree classification. I don't know though, they can just as easily see the minimum degree classification is met and then move on to look at UKCAT...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lumosbludger183
I'm not sure if they do! I've never seen it explicitly stated that they prefer 1.1 over 2.1, I just figured it's probably worth more since it's a higher degree classification. I don't know though, they can just as easily see the minimum degree classification is met and then move on to look at UKCAT...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amen to that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending