The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Course applying: Maths
AS/A2 Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Religious Studies, History(AS only)
GCSE Grades:3A* 4A 2B 1C
AS Predicted:ABBBB
AS Grades:AABBB
A2 Predicted:A*AAA
Supra-curricular-choir, musicals, week long STEP course, Maths lecture at Lancaster, a lot of wider reading, an EPQ on the history of complex number, CSM in combined cadet force, volunteering
Other Unis: Warwick, York, Leeds, Liverpool
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Lauren1498x
Another Scottish applicant 👋🏽
Course applying: modern history and economics
Nat5s AAAAAAAA
Highers AAAAA (maths, English, history, modern studies, economics)
Predicted AAA advanced highers (modern studies, economics, history)
Extra curriculars: debating, public speaking, model un, general reading stuff
Other unis applying to: Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Edinburgh

Cool! What course are you applying to at Edinburgh?
Original post by Kraken713
Cool! What course are you applying to at Edinburgh?

Politics and economics!
Will they not accept extra ones in S6? I know if you don't meet the minimum requirements at S5 at Glasgow for some courses they give out on AAAAAA

Thanks for the reply. I was at a UCAS exhibition where I asked the lady working for St Andrews about this saying I'm doing an additional higher so will in S6 meet entry requirements for international relations ( the subject I was interested in at the time ) but she said "that doesn't matter, AAAB are S5 requirements." And I was thinking WHY IS THAT NOT ON THE WEBSITE ANYWHERE OR IN THE PROSPECTUS? I'm going to contact admissions, it's very confusing.
Also, I'm applying to Glasgow too! Glasgow's entry requirements are so varied and confusing. Can't wait for the open day but a bit put off by night and big city life, it's all about clubbing and all that there but I'm really not the type. :redface:
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Thanks for the reply. I was at a UCAS exhibition where I asked the lady working for St Andrews about this saying I'm doing an additional higher so will in S6 meet entry requirements for international relations ( the subject I was interested in at the time ) but she said "that doesn't matter, AAAB are S5 requirements." And I was thinking WHY IS THAT NOT ON THE WEBSITE ANYWHERE OR IN THE PROSPECTUS? I'm going to contact admissions, it's very confusing.
Also, I'm applying to Glasgow too! Glasgow's entry requirements are so varied and confusing. Can't wait for the open day but a bit put off by night and big city life, it's all about clubbing and all that there but I'm really not the type. :redface:

Hope you get it sorted out! I was so close to applying to Glasgow but thought my course was way too focused on Scottish history / politics:frown:
Hope you get it sorted out! I was so close to applying to Glasgow but thought my course was way too focused on Scottish history / politics:frown:

Hopefully so! :smile:
Ah I see, I like Scottish history because it covers a lot of different times in history when modern or medieval history means I have to learn one or the other but I'd rather learn both? And also I am particularly interested in Uk history more than any so Scottish is good enough aha.
But completely agree on Scottish politics, QUITE dull.
Applying for economics
10A* GCSE, AAA at AS and predicted A*A*A*+A in Maths, Econ, Geog and AS Further Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering whether anyone knows when St.Andrews begin to send out offers or the earliest they have given out offers in past years
Hey guys, I've applied for English.

AS Levels: A A A A (Eng Lit, History, Politics and Economics)

Predicted: A* A* A*

Also applying to: Cambridge, Durham, York (offer already) and Sussex.

From a north London state comprehensive btw. Where is everyone else from?
Original post by Oh the Byrony!
Hey guys, I've applied for English.

AS Levels: A A A A (Eng Lit, History, Politics and Economics)

Predicted: A* A* A*

Also applying to: Cambridge, Durham, York (offer already) and Sussex.

From a north London state comprehensive btw. Where is everyone else from?

Wow you have amazing grades! I'm from Scotland so they have a cap on Scottish students :/ so hope I still get an offer! Applying for history and economics
Applied for Maths here!
Scottish applicant-
Nat5's: AAAAAAAA
Highers-AAAAA
Predicted Ah's:AAA
Haven't applied yet or done my personal statement 😂

GCSE grades: 2 A*'s, 8 B's, 1 C
A Levels already achieved: A*AA
A Levels taken: Art and Design (photography), Psychology and History.
Gap Year: UAL Art Foundation (in photography)
Subject of study: History of Art
Extra-Curricular: 60hours+ volunteer work at a national trust historic house, Sussex summer school in history, college visual art trip to Barcelona (visiting the home places & museum of major artists), read many History of art books and documentaries, live near London so visited many major galleries, history of art talk at the Tate Britain, enrolled in a 30 week French language course for beginners. Amsterdam art trip this week (💃🏼)
Other: customer assistant at TESCO -work skills (lol).
Other places i'm applying: Edinburgh, Birmingham, Bristol, 5th place unsure (maybe UEA or Warwick) l

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow you have amazing grades! I'm from Scotland so they have a cap on Scottish students :/ so hope I still get an offer! Applying for history and economics

Thanks so much! I'm actually 1/4 Scottish (lol, what a clichéd, English thing to say). It's weird that they'd put a cap on people from their own country, isn't it? Where about is it, percentage wise?
Original post by Oh the Byrony!
Thanks so much! I'm actually 1/4 Scottish (lol, what a clichéd, English thing to say). It's weird that they'd put a cap on people from their own country, isn't it? Where about is it, percentage wise?

I don't think it's like a set cap... But because we get it for free they're not going to want everyone being From Scotland and not paying anything
I don't think it's like a set cap... But because we get it for free they're not going to want everyone being From Scotland and not paying anything

Oh, of course, my bad. I thought it was because they're so international. They talked for ages about that at all the open day.
Can someone shed some light on this? My Director of Sixth Form said last year that Scottish unis were 'weird' sometimes about giving offers to applicants from England. I was a bit miffed tbf last year. Got 4 pretty good offers for maths last year, places that rank above Edinburgh, yet they rejected me. Obviously I could have just been unlucky, but what my DOS said made me wonder. Don't mean to sound arrogant. X
Original post by polymath98
Can someone shed some light on this? My Director of Sixth Form said last year that Scottish unis were 'weird' sometimes about giving offers to applicants from England. I was a bit miffed tbf last year. Got 4 pretty good offers for maths last year, places that rank above Edinburgh, yet they rejected me. Obviously I could have just been unlucky, but what my DOS said made me wonder. Don't mean to sound arrogant. X

Well surely they'd prefer English students over Scottish applicants since English pay fees... However there is a lot of demand for places from international studies a especially from the US. I don't think there is any truth in this? Edinburgh is really popular though, despite being 'the lowest ranking' uni I looked at out of the ones I was applying in Scotland it has the highest grade requirements. I think it's just very popular
Well surely they'd prefer English students over Scottish applicants since English pay fees... However there is a lot of demand for places from international studies a especially from the US. I don't think there is any truth in this? Edinburgh is really popular though, despite being 'the lowest ranking' uni I looked at out of the ones I was applying in Scotland it has the highest grade requirements. I think it's just very popular

Yeah. Thanks that helps. Will apply to St Andrews, was just a bit unsure about Scotland all together for a while 😂 Would love to go to uni there tho.
A little late to the party but here goes...

Course Applying: Economics (MA)
AS/A2 subjects: Maths (AS), Economics, History and Politics
GCSE grades: 7A* 3A 1B 1C
AS grades: AAAA (History was a B, but went up 13 marks in a remark - seems a bit insane)
A2 Predicted: A*A*A*
Supra-curriculars: Debating, Royal Economics Society essay entrant (unfortunately unsuccesful), Vellacott History Essay (same as RES), lots of church work and a lot of economics reading (from Smith to Marx, Keynes and Sedlacek).
Other: English applicant - a proud native of God's own county (Yorkshire). :smile:
Other unis considering/applying to: Oxford (not big on it but worth a shot), Lancaster (wrong side of the Pennines but loveable nonetheless), Glasgow and Heriot Watts
I didn't realise how many english people applied to scottish unis..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending