The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fizzel
Problem with managed investments is the charges. You have to have a substantial amount of money before those charges don't wipe out and of the gains potentially made. Not to mention the stats on actual long term performance.

Trackers and other passive funds are the best way to go for the small investor.

Financial advisors are potentially more important later in life when you need to start considering risk and reward as you are approaching pension age. Not to mention taxes and such. Early on pretty simple, wrap it in an ISA and leave it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea the one I was invested in was passive fund in a Stocks and Shares ISA wrapper.

Interest rates are so bad now I'm not sure ISAs or general savings in bank accounts is worth it now..
Bloody hell. Bournemouth doing bits.
Need Atlético to beat a bottom of the table Granada at home for £134. Herculean Granada defensive performance incoming.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Bloody hell. Bournemouth doing bits.

It's all because of the Jack Wilshere influence srs.
Need Atlético to beat a bottom of the table Granada at home for £134. Herculean Granada defensive performance incoming.

You always seem to be winning big amounts. Do you put on 30 accumulators every week and post about whichever does best :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by difeo
You always seem to be winning big amounts. Do you put on 30 accumulators every week and post about whichever does best :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I bet large sums of money on low-risk bets.
Reply 9526

Lel.
Original post by Rk2k14
Lel.

It was for the first 20 minutes or so anyway.
If you're investing for the long term then go for a stocks & shares ISA. Even putting away 30 quid a month over the course of 10-20 years is going to make a substantial difference. You don't need an IFA until you're approaching pension age.

I'm very loyal to Neil Woodford as his funds (Invesco High Income and now Woodford Equity Income) have always given me an excellent return over the long term. I also have holdings in Legal & General UK Index tracker and Blackrock Emerging Markets tracker as well as a small holding in Fundsmith Equity.

Really annoyed I haven't found a job yet because I had planned to invest at least 50% of my redundancy payout, but i'm not going to do that right now when I don't know how long it has to last me for :colonhash:
Original post by swirly
Why are there Nissan Jukes everywhere.

It's like the vajazzle of motoring.

bob's burgers bangs.
Original post by sr90
If you're investing for the long term then go for a stocks & shares ISA. Even putting away 30 quid a month over the course of 10-20 years is going to make a substantial difference. You don't need an IFA until you're approaching pension age.

I'm very loyal to Neil Woodford as his funds (Invesco High Income and now Woodford Equity Income) have always given me an excellent return over the long term. I also have holdings in Legal & General UK Index tracker and Blackrock Emerging Markets tracker as well as a small holding in Fundsmith Equity.

Really annoyed I haven't found a job yet because I had planned to invest at least 50% of my redundancy payout, but i'm not going to do that right now when I don't know how long it has to last me for :colonhash:

Is it really worth the 5% entry charge though? What if I want to invest a bigger lump than say 1k?
Original post by Fizzel
Problem with managed investments is the charges. You have to have a substantial amount of money before those charges don't wipe out and of the gains potentially made. Not to mention the stats on actual long term performance.

Trackers and other passive funds are the best way to go for the small investor.

Financial advisors are potentially more important later in life when you need to start considering risk and reward as you are approaching pension age. Not to mention taxes and such. Early on pretty simple, wrap it in an ISA and leave it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. You're best off investing the majority into an index tracker fund and ensuring what you have keeps up with inflation over the years.

However, I think if you are young and have some money lying around it is fair game to try and hit some home runs. I mean if you are paying a 1% in overall charges a year and the rest is pure profit then it is not so bad. But obviously you would have to know about which fund managers you trust your funds with.
Original post by sr90

Yeah totally agree, got a couple of thousand on the woodford capital patent trust on my trading isa, really steady and rode the fluctuations quite well. A great sign was how many people were trying to buy in at the ipo, got just over 90% but was a shame that a further issue was released.
Considering to go for more trusts but finding it difficult to get the time to find the correct ones with a right balance of risk and reward. Have mainly stuck to stocks atm though.
(edited 7 years ago)
I went down an internet rabbithole and this is where I ended up before I realised I'm wasting my youth

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1twh0p_tottenham-hotspunk-one-club_fun
^ I just caught cancer, HIV, AIDS, leprosy from watching that, thanks.
Original post by James.Carnell
Is it really worth the 5% entry charge though? What if I want to invest a bigger lump than say 1k?

5% initial charge is ridiculous! To avoid any initial charges just invest via an invest platform like Hargreaves Lansdown. I think there are better managed funds available than that one nowadays though, I pulled my money out of it a while ago. It's not performing at the level it was when Neil managed it.

Look at HL's Wealth 150 for tracker funds & managed investments, that's a decent starting point. There's some excellent ones on here:

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/index-tracker-funds/wealth-150
Original post by Jimmy Seville
I went down an internet rabbithole and this is where I ended up before I realised I'm wasting my youth

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1twh0p_tottenham-hotspunk-one-club_fun

Can tell what that is just by the link :lol: Still not as bad as this for me

heavy D is the human embodiment of a pork pie

:biggrin:
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
bob's burgers bangs.

Did you get to the episode in Greys when the hospital goes on shut down?

Absolute mad scenes like when Jimmy loses it at Tree Hill.

Latest