The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Today I woke up at 18:45. I looked at the time and thought 'I bet someone's missed the Oxbridge deadline.' And lo and behold...

OP, I think they may not consider your application. And here's why: back in April I competed in Cambridge's Law Essay competition. I sent my essay in 2 minutes before the deadline, then I realised I had missed a sentence out, so I put the sentence in and resent 1 minute after the deadline. I got an email back saying that they would not consider the resubmission because it was late. That could have just been because it was a resubmission though...

I think they tend to be quite strict about this sort of thing.
This is WHY you don't leave it to the last minute !
Reply 22
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Today I woke up at 18:45. I looked at the time and thought 'I bet someone's missed the Oxbridge deadline.' And lo and behold...

OP, I think they may not consider your application. And here's why: back in April I competed in Cambridge's Law Essay competition. I sent my essay in 2 minutes before the deadline, then I realised I had missed a sentence out, so I put the sentence in and resent 1 minute after the deadline. I got an email back saying that they would not consider the resubmission because it was late. That could have just been because it was a resubmission though...

I think they tend to be quite strict about this sort of thing.

But the applications themselves are not handled by cantab. According to a tutor at cam, UCAS determines if an entry is accepted or not
Original post by Overses
But the applications themselves are not handled by cantab. According to a tutor at cam, UCAS determines if an entry is accepted or not

OP has obviously missed the deadline according to UCAS, which is why his only hope would have been to plead with the university to still consider his application. Which is where my allegory came in; Oxbridge tends to be very strict on deadlines, even if it's just a minute late.
I'm a little confused. Does the deadline refer to the time by which you need to have submitted the application to UCAS, or does it refer to the time by which UCAS needs to have processed it and sent it off to Oxbridge?
Reply 25
Just why would you send off your application up to an hour before? It really wasn't a wise decision and now it's backfired on you.

Even though it was processed a minute late, Oxbridge will be able to see your application, but they'll see you as a person who can't even meet simple deadlines. So I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't make it through the interview stage.

But what's done is done. All you can do now is call UCAS Monday morning, explain the situation and hope that Oxbridge don't see the 18:01 . If they do... Bye bye
Original post by Drunq
Just why would you send off your application up to an hour before? It really wasn't a wise decision and now it's backfired on you.

Even though it was processed a minute late, Oxbridge will be able to see your application, but they'll see you as a person who can't even meet simple deadlines. So I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't make it through the interview stage.

But what's done is done. All you can do now is call UCAS Monday morning, explain the situation and hope that Oxbridge don't see the 18:01 . If they do... Bye bye

Thats the biggest BS in the history of this forum.

Oxbridge dont even look at applications before admissions test results are in.The latter determines whether you get an interview or not (top 25% for my course)
Reply 27
Ignore all the ppl who are criticising you!, whatever the case talk to UCAS on Monday and explain your circumstances. Generally they will take into account your circumstances. It is always worth a try after all!
Reply 28
OP has obviously missed the deadline according to UCAS, which is why his only hope would have been to plead with the university to still consider his application. Which is where my allegory came in; Oxbridge tends to be very strict on deadlines, even if it's just a minute late.

Yeah but UCAS is probably going to overlook a minute late submissions and mark them as valid. According to the tutor , they only look at valid applications marked by UCAS. No matter how you plead , UCas's marking is the final say, but UCAS is lenient on the submission time and will likely mark one a few minutes late as valid
Reply 29
Original post by Drunq

I don't think universities see submission time. Usually only the date but rarely the exact time. I have never ever seen in an application for anything that has a time stamp as opposed to a date stamp or no stamps at all. Because if you have time you would also have date and that is just a huge clutter on the page .
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Overses
I don't think universities see submission time. Usually only the date but rarely the exact time. I have never ever seen in an application for anything that has a time stamp as opposed to a date stamp or no stamps at all. Because if you have time you would also have date and that is just a huge clutter on the page .

So what usually happens with late applications? Even if it is by a few minutes? Do they just disregard them?
Reply 31
Original post by Drunq
So what usually happens with late applications? Even if it is by a few minutes? Do they just disregard them?

I am not sure, but UCAS might mark the ones late by a few min te as valid
Reply 32
Original post by Overses
I am not sure, but UCAS might mark the ones late by a few min te as valid

To be honest, no one should leave an important deadline that late.

However when it does happen, and backfires. You just have to hope luck is on your side.

Unless UCAS confirm on Monday that the application has been flagged as late then the OP shouldn't worry.

UCAS tend to show *some* leniency because they know that some applications are delayed by their software and they're not up for a lawsuit.
Reply 34
Original post by fyrebirds
I'm a little confused. Does the deadline refer to the time by which you need to have submitted the application to UCAS, or does it refer to the time by which UCAS needs to have processed it and sent it off to Oxbridge?

You have to have completed the whole application and sent it to UCAS - including the bit your school does if you're applying through them. It doesn't have to be processed, because that's a variable time depending on how busy ucas are and can't be predicted by an applicant
Reply 35
Original post by Blueberry.89
Oxbridge dont even look at applications before admissions test results are in.The latter determines whether you get an interview or not (top 25% for my course)

That may be the case for some courses at Oxford, but it isn't for Cambridge. There's no mechanistic deselection due to pre-interview admissions assessment results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Overses
I don't think universities see submission time.

We do.
Original post by returnmigrant
We do.

I always enjoy a PS that boasts about good time management/self starter that was submitted 5 minutes before the deadline.
There's no point trying to second guess UCAS - it is up to them solely to decide whether the application is technically 'late' or not. Only half a day to wait.
Reply 39
Original post by Overses

It's an electronic timestamp attached to the file. Not some huge physical red ink stamp splodged onto a sheet of paper.

1476605820393.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending