The Student Room Group

Will be universities be more lenient with me because of this?

I have pretty severe extenuating circumstances and have done ever since I can remember but it all affected me particularly during Year 10 and 11 with everything climaxing in Year 12.

I ended up getting poor GCSE results A*A*A*AAAABB and AS results of AAABC... I'm predicted A*AA.

Do you think it's unlikely I'll manage to get offers from places like Bristol and LSE? (Offer rate for my course is 40ish% and 20% respectively)

Will they maybe be more lenient meaning my circumstances would almost give me a bit of an advantage?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1

Sorry, I know they're not bad results haha but they would be considered 'less good' in the school I go to and I only have 9 which doesn't seem like many at all... also, I know the universities I'm applying to often give offers to people with straight As and A*s etc
As @RobML - if you think they're 'poor results' then you've been reading the 'Am I good enough for Medicine/Law/x' threads on the TSR too much!

Please remember that the students on this forum are totally unrepresentative of the student population as a whole. Your results are, on balance, excellent and you should have every chance of making a competitive application to the universities you mention.
Original post by Reality Check
As @RobML - if you think they're 'poor results' then you've been reading the 'Am I good enough for Medicine/Law/x' threads on the TSR too much!

Please remember that the students on this forum are totally unrepresentative of the student population as a whole. Your results are, on balance, excellent and you should have every chance of making a competitive application to the universities you mention.

It is admittedly very easy to get sucked into those threads... thank you!
"A*A*A*AAAABB "

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65549623&highlight=

9 A*s

[video="youtube;8dAUYAg8mAQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dAUYAg8mAQ[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Make an excellent personal statement! It's not all about the grades, even though yours are amazing.
Original post by Vikingninja
"A*A*A*AAAABB "

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65549623&highlight=

9 A*s

[video="youtube;8dAUYAg8mAQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dAUYAg8mAQ[/video]

ngl, I just wanted to see if I'd be told about the 'job'
Original post by Drunq
Make an excellent personal statement! It's not all about the grades, even though yours are amazing.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get the personal statement quite right, thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get the personal statement quite right, thank you!

It takes a couple of times. When writing your personal statement, make sure most things relate to these things:

1) you have the ability to achieve well
2) show you are embedded within the course

Avoid clichés like:
"Since I was a child" - seeing this annoys me

Also, make it about yourself. Don't mention anything about your family. "My mum is a dentist... I want to be a dentist" "she's been my idol" make it all about yourself.

It takes practise, however you'll get there!
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
I have pretty severe extenuating circumstances and have done ever since I can remember but it all affected me particularly during Year 10 and 11 with everything climaxing in Year 12.

I ended up getting poor GCSE results A*A*A*AAAABB and AS results of AAABC... I'm predicted A*AA.

Do you think it's unlikely I'll manage to get offers from places like Bristol and LSE? (Offer rate for my course is 40ish% and 20% respectively)

Will they maybe be more lenient meaning my circumstances would almost give me a bit of an advantage?

Thank you :smile:

Ur predictions are great but qldo remember predictions are kinda harsh so work hard and you could get A*A*A or even three A*s I'm sure if it is was the former Bristol will still accept u
Also find some work experience cos if you tell them about that they may not just focus on grades
Good luck!:smile:
that avatar tho

Quick Reply

Latest