The Student Room Group

RAF CBAT | do I need a suit jacket?

Hi, I have my CBAT at RAF Cranwell in 2 days and have read that I need a suit for after 6PM in the mess. I have smart trousers and shirts and such but I don't have a suit jacket or blazer. Will I be okay just to dress smart without the jacket?
Original post by Zcdw1999
Hi, I have my CBAT at RAF Cranwell in 2 days and have read that I need a suit for after 6PM in the mess. I have smart trousers and shirts and such but I don't have a suit jacket or blazer. Will I be okay just to dress smart without the jacket?

A jacket won't cost you that much. It's potentially a once in a lifetime chance to go through OASC. Buy one - you'll need it for the interview later on in the process anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Fritz Lansen
A jacket won't cost you that much. Buy one - you'll need it for the interview later on in the process anyway.

And in life in general.
Original post by Drewski
And in life in general.

^valid point.
The rules are you need a jacket. You'd likely be asked / told to leave the public rooms in the mess after 6pm if not dressed according to the rules.
Reply 5
Original post by ProStacker
The rules are you need a jacket. You'd likely be asked / told to leave the public rooms in the mess after 6pm if not dressed according to the rules.

Ok thanks
Reply 6
As others have said, you need to buy one, not only for selection, but for life in general. As you are going to CBAT I'd assume you want to be an officer. You will not survive the officer world without a jacket.

Quick Reply

Latest