The Student Room Group

drinking limits

Hi everyone :smile: I was just wondering, the drinking limits for driving in the UK, but how does that translate? how much alcohol would still be in my blood after for example 2 pints, after waiting 4 or 5 hours?
Depends on the pints as beers can vary from 3-9%, but on the whole I think the advice is that you should ignore the first hour, and then approxiately 1 unit per hour leaves the blood, but obviously it varies from person to person
You literally cannot predict it. It's almost completely random from person to person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't try to work it out. If you're going to drive, the only safe amount is zero.
Original post by studymeansdrink
Hi everyone :smile: I was just wondering, the drinking limits for driving in the UK, but how does that translate? how much alcohol would still be in my blood after for example 2 pints, after waiting 4 or 5 hours?

as a rule if I am driving I don't drink.
Reply 5
It's amazing how we even have a tolerance level when it comes to drinking and driving.

I'm pretty certain, correct me if I'm wrong, but the tolerance is zero for drug driving isn't it? Any drugs found in your car and you'd be arrested.

But alcohol though, the most widely consumed drug, has a limit. Despite it being one of the main reasons behind deaths on our roads!

Crazy stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just don't drink and drive. The rate at which the alcohol leaves your system can't be exactly predicted. It really varies from person to person.
an I've heard that even the morning after drinking you could still fail a breathalyzer test :frown: A mate of mine recomended me a site where you can fill in what you drank and how long ago, your age, weight, etc and it calculates if you're ok to drive. Has anyone used sites like these?
an I've heard that even the morning after drinking you could still fail a breathalyzer test :frown: A mate of mine recomended me a site where you can fill in what you drank and how long ago, your age, weight, etc and it calculates if you're ok to drive. Has anyone used sites like these?

They can still only give an estimate. People have different metabolisms. It's really not worth the risk imo
Reply 9
You need some sort of rule to deal with driving the morning after drinking the evening before. I have applied the rule of thumb of 2 full hours after each pint consumed. But even this many not be safe if you have been on complete bender. I think professional drivers have rules like no alcohol in the 12 hours before driving and a relatively modest intake, eg 6 unit, allowed in the 12 hours before that.
but has anyone of you used a site like this? What do you lads think about buying your own breathalyzer? Is it worth it? Are they fairly cheap? I've found some on e-bay, but I've never bought anything online, to be honest
I've used this site:
alcohol.unit.calculator.co.uk,
but I always take it with a grain of salt, for example if it says wait 2 hours, I wait at least 3 or 4, but the best way to be sure is just not drive when you've drunk anything :wink:
Reply 12
Never used a site like that, I'm anti drinking and driving whatsoever. It doesn't matter what some website says to me, I know my own body. Some days I can drink 4-5 pints and feel absolutely fine and well and capable to get behind the car wheel (not that I do) and work etc but some days I can have a pint and a half and feel tipsy.
I've found a site that sells breathalyzers, anyone ever heard of it? breathalyzers-shop.co.uk
they look quite impressive, but are they accurate? What about the price-quality ratio?
they look quite impressive, but are they accurate? What about the price-quality ratio?

They are unlikely to be as accurate as police ones. Why do you need one? If you're just a student that wants a couple of drinks, £££ isn't worth the money. Things like that are for companies and driving instructors, whoever may need them for business
this is why I have a chauffeur
I can drink a bottle of Haig club then climb into my merc and my driver knows where to go
is very good with say the Christmas orders I can deliver them on the 20th of December, have a drink or two with every client and still be fine

Quick Reply

Latest