The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are the comments on the Mail Online so pathetically hateful?

It's like the dirge of humanity congregates on the pages of the Daily Mail Online. Who are these *beeps*? Are they really THAT bitter, twisted, miserable and depressed about their own lives that they have to hate on literally everything on the planet? Or are a lot of the comments written by the authors of the articles, pretending to be members of the public, in order to provoke reactions in readers? Wouldn't put it past the DM to be honest...
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I like the Daily Mail
But you do have to account why it is the most popular English language news site in the world, and why the newspaper still has a circulation of 1.5 million.

I agree, by the way. It is drivel, and populated by a lot of narrow-minded individuals who really ought to have better things to do with their time.
When there's a degree of anonymity you can expect to see the nastier aspects of humanity manifest itself that otherwise remained hidden from view. For what it's worth, the amount of hate comments I see on the DM, the % is quite low considering the fact that it's an anti-immigrant paper, and people can anonymously post comments on there. It's also possible I have a very sqewed view on this because I've experienced horrendous amounts of abuse (threats of violence, etc) when it came to religious debates so there's that :P
Original post by Reality Check
But you do have to account why it is the most popular English language news site in the world, and why the newspaper still has a circulation of 1.5 million.

I agree, by the way. It is drivel, and populated by a lot of narrow-minded individuals who really ought to have better things to do with their time.

Its got such a high circulation because the vast majority of people are idiots.Next question?
Reply 5
It's not the Daily Mail, it's the effect of the internet and anonymity. You can see far worse on Twitter.
Original post by Robby2312
Its got such a high circulation because the vast majority of people are idiots.Next question?

Not the most sophisticated of analyses...
If you think the comments in the Mail Online are bad you'd probably go crazy at the ones left in the Daily Express.*

btw, the mail online strictly controls and vets every single comment before allowing them onto their comments section. What you're reading are comments that they've allowed to go through. In other words comments that conform with their right wing agenda.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

why are you so pathetically hateful?
Not the most sophisticated of analyses...

Well why is it wrong? The majority of people are pretty stupid.Its why kim kardashian and the x factor are so popular.Its also why donald trump is on the verge of becoming president.You say its not a sophisticated analysis but its the basic truth.
Original post by Reue
why are you so pathetically hateful?

Its not hateful to state the truth.
Reply 11
Its not hateful to state the truth.

0/10
Original post by Reue
0/10

So no actual argument then.
Reply 13
So no actual argument then.

Certainly none worth wasting my time on.
the comments are from the type of people who voted to leave the EU.... what do you expect ?

:angry:*

What papers/news agencies do you read/watch?

I think maybe because it combines news and celebrity gossip and the 'femail' section online so gets a lot of traffic that way. I know if I ever google something about a celebrity having a baby or anything inane like that, DM is often the first search result.

I try not to click though because I don't want to give them my view. :K:
Yes but the Daily Mail journalists and editors seem to be bitter and twisted themselves. They have an anger and hatred of anyone who criticises them and just can't cope with it. So therefore the readership is attracted by that sort of writing and that's why you get their vial thoughts and comments. They only believe in their version of events and cannot possibly have empathy or understand any educated conversation or informed debate on any subject.Three years later and we have the Daily Mail with a 17 page spread with vitriol and hatred for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. The Daily Mail 'journalists' just can't accept that they are in the wrong. No wonder Harry and Meghan want to leave the country. Most people really don't blame them and are fully supportive of their wish to leave. The Daily Mail is just shooting itself in the foot and hopefully it will cease as a newspaper in the near future as the general public understands that this sort of reporting is passé and unacceptable for today society.

You have described by dear beloved inlaws to the T sadly. The fall for the hateful durge of the Fail hook, line and sinker.
This might actually be hard to believe, but they vet all of the comments on their website before allowing them to appear in the comment section and like most platforms they suffer from a significant bias. Since they're right leaning, most right wing hate gets through no questions asked...but left leaning opinions are quickly censored.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending