The Student Room Group

Do any of these Unis Require an Interview?

Applying For Maths And/With Economics at
LSE
UCL
Kings
Nottingham
Manchester

Any ideas?
Original post by Nuggetsarelife
LSE
UCL
Kings
Nottingham
Manchester

Any ideas?

Look on UCAS course search - under Entry Requirements it should say if interviews are standard or not.

If that isn't clear then it should only take half an hour to ring them up and ask them.
LSE
UCL
Kings
Nottingham
Manchester

Any ideas?

I know the first three don't as I am applying to them. Don't know about the last two though
Original post by TheRandomGenius
I know the first three don't as I am applying to them. Don't know about the last two though

I found out that UCL and manchester interview
I found out that UCL and manchester interview

Idk about Manchester but UCL do not. It's on their website somewhere, it says something like 'interviews do not form a part of our admissions process for mathematics except in exceptional cases'
Idk about Manchester but UCL do not. It's on their website somewhere, it says something like 'interviews do not form a part of our admissions process for mathematics except in exceptional cases'

Really because it says so on the ucas search tool and my teacher who goes ucl also said so
Really because it says so on the ucas search tool and my teacher who goes ucl also said so

Search tool is wrong, check the UCL department website.

What are your stats btw? (GCSEs, AS, A2 prediction, AS maths and fm ums)

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/mathematics-economics-bsc

Maths with econ isn't just decided by the maths dept. The selection section here says *some* applicants will be interviewed
Original post by PQ
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/mathematics-economics-bsc

Maths with econ isn't just decided by the maths dept. The selection section here says *some* applicants will be interviewed

I emailed the admissions tutor over the summer (Dr Bowles was his name IIRC) and he said that Maths with Economics applications are decided solely by the maths department (as it's majority maths). In fact, you can apply for Maths and if you get an offer, you can very easily transfer to Maths with Economics.

With regards to the interview thing, they only interview very borderline cases (rare).

See the interview section of this http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/prospective-students/undergraduates

OP, if you post your stats, I might be able to give you an opinion on whether your application might be considered borderline.
(edited 7 years ago)
I emailed the admissions tutor over the summer (Dr Bowles was his name IIRC) and he said that Maths with Economics applications are decided solely by the maths department (as it's majority maths). In fact, you can apply for Maths and if you get an offer, you can very easily transfer to Maths with Economics.

With regards to the interview thing, they only interview very borderline cases (rare).

See the interview section of this http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/prospective-students/undergraduates

OP, if you post your stats, I might be able to give you an opinion on whether your application might be considered borderline.

The point is though that they do interview (or reserve the right to interview) some applicants. Which is why the UCAS listing states that they may interview. The information on UCAS isn't "wrong " - it's just only true for a minority of cases.

Many universities/courses don't interview in any circumstances. UCL is not one of those for this course.

GCSE: 2 A* 4A 3B (Bad state school)
AS: Maths A (90% UMS)
Further Maths: B (74% UMS) (retaking d2 fp1)
Economics: B (only B this year majority got D's)
Physics: C (picked it up in jan but i dropped it)

Econ and physics are REFORMED
A2 predictions: A* maths A fmaths A econ

What'd you think, i aint the most competitive imo but hopefully my PS will play a big part in the decision making process :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSE: 2 A* 4A 3B (Bad state school)
AS: Maths A (90% UMS)
Further Maths: B (74% UMS) (retaking d2 fp1)
Economics: B (only B this year majority got D's)
Physics: C (picked it up in jan but i dropped it)

Econ and physics are REFORMED
A2 predictions: A* maths A fmaths A econ

What'd you think, i aint the most competitive imo but hopefully my PS will play a big part in the decision making process :smile:

Your GCSEs aren't amazing compared to the competition, but they aren't terrible and will do the job for UCL.

I'm gonna be brutally honest, your chance of an offer is very slim for two main reasons. Firstly ABBC at AS isnt very good for UCL, especially when one of the Bs is FM. Secondly, your UMS average is poor, and this is what UCL loo at the most for maths.

I know people from last year who had AAAB at AS and were one mark from 4As and had an A*A*A prediction. However, their maths and fm ums average was only about 85% and they got a quick rejection. I've emailed the UCL admissions tutor and he said they rarely give offers to anyone with an average below 90. The peak ums average for receiving offers, in a distribution, is around 93 according to him so you're way off. (I have 92.8 yay)

I do know people who had slightly lower ums averages, 87ish but got an offer due to an amazing ps. So your personal statement can make up for slightly lower ums but yours is too low I feel.

I think you have a better chance at LSE if you have an AMAZING ps as they place a lot of emphasis on ps but unfortunately your UCL chances are slim and I'd put my money on you getting a straight rejection.

Good luck though, anything is possible.
Your GCSEs aren't amazing compared to the competition, but they aren't terrible and will do the job for UCL.

I'm gonna be brutally honest, your chance of an offer is very slim for two main reasons. Firstly ABBC at AS isnt very good for UCL, especially when one of the Bs is FM. Secondly, your UMS average is poor, and this is what UCL loo at the most for maths.

I know people from last year who had AAAB at AS and were one mark from 4As and had an A*A*A prediction. However, their maths and fm ums average was only about 85% and they got a quick rejection. I've emailed the UCL admissions tutor and he said they rarely give offers to anyone with an average below 90. The peak ums average for receiving offers, in a distribution, is around 93 according to him so you're way off. (I have 92.8 yay)

I do know people who had slightly lower ums averages, 87ish but got an offer due to an amazing ps. So your personal statement can make up for slightly lower ums but yours is too low I feel.

I think you have a better chance at LSE if you have an AMAZING ps as they place a lot of emphasis on ps but unfortunately your UCL chances are slim and I'd put my money on you getting a straight rejection.

Good luck though, anything is possible.

What'd you think of my chances for the other unis ive stated above?
What'd you think of my chances for the other unis ive stated above?

Idk about the last two as I'm not applying to either. I think you have a very decent chance with Kings though - their offer rates are very very high.
Idk about the last two as I'm not applying to either. I think you have a very decent chance with Kings though - their offer rates are very very high.

Whats your stats? Course? Unis? Grades? Etc If you dont mind me asking
Whats your stats? Course? Unis? Grades? Etc If you dont mind me asking

GCSEs: 3A*s 6As 2Bs

AS: AAAA (Maths FM Physics Econ)

Predicted A*A*A*A

Maths UMS average 97, further maths 89 so 93 overall.

Applying for Cambridge Maths, Imperial maths, UCL Maths with econ, LSE maths with econ and Kings maths.
Original post by JohnGreek
That excuse will only take you that far. LSE don't have that many things to look at, so they will look at his AS and his UMS for Maths with/and Econ.

How would you rate my chances btw?
GCSEs: 3A*s 6As 2Bs

AS: AAAA (Maths FM Physics Econ)

Predicted A*A*A*A

Maths UMS average 97, further maths 89 so 93 overall.

Applying for Cambridge Maths, Imperial maths, UCL Maths with econ, LSE maths with econ and Kings maths.

Brill so you're my competition 😭

Quick Reply

Latest