The Student Room Group

Part-time job while in Full-time education. Would this effect my benefits?

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on here so, please bare with me.

I have been wanting a job for a while now and, I am in full-time education in college doing around 12 to 14 hours a week (Monday to Thursday). I've seen a Sainsbury's store not too far from my home offering a part-time job, 24 hours a week at a £6.23 per hour rate (around 4/5 days a week).

I want to work there since the money could help me buy school resources and possibly motorcycle which I could use to commute to school and possible work with.

On the other hand, my mother is telling me not to since it will effect the Child Tax benefits and I will have to start paying the rent for the house because the house benefits or whatnot (I am not too sure of the name). In my defense I don't see the problem since I am still in full-time education so, I am doing what they benefits are asking me to do, I am just working on the side.

I am not too sure on what the rules are for working part-time and being in full-time education, and I could not find nothing on Google that covers it.

If I was to get the job, will the Child Tax Credits stop and, will I have to start paying for some of the rent to stay at my home? It would also be great if somebody can post some sources where I can read more about this, as I do want this job but I don't want to mess stuff up for my mother at the same time.

Thanks a lot!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheChasers
Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on here so, please bare with me.

I have been wanting a job for a while now and, I am in full-time education in college doing around 12 to 14 hours a week (Monday to Thursday). I've seen a Sainsbury's store not too far from my home offering a part-time job, 24 hours a week at a £6.23 per hour rate (around 4/5 days a week).

I want to work there since the money could help me buy school resources and possibly motorcycle which I could use to commute to school and possible work with.

On the other hand, my mother is telling me not to since it will effect the Child Tax benefits and I will have to start paying the rent for the house because the house benefits or whatnot (I am not too sure of the name). In my defense I don't see the problem since I am still in full-time education so, I am doing what they benefits are asking me to do, I am just working on the side.

I am not too sure on what the rules are for working part-time and being in full-time education, and I could not find nothing on Google that covers it.

If I was to get the job, will the Child Tax Credits stop and, will I have to start paying for some of the rent to stay at my home? It would also be great if somebody can post some sources where I can read more about this, as I do want this job but I don't want to mess stuff up for my mother at the same time.

Thanks a lot!

I think you have to be working under 24 hours a week (And be in education for over 12 hours) for your mum to continue to get child tax credits.
See here for that https://www.gov.uk/child-tax-credit-when-child-reaches-16
Child benefit wise i think it's a similar rule. So either you take the job, and pay your way at home, at a guess your mum would lose at least £50 a month from it or you find something with less hours. Now it could be more as housing benefit can have slightly different rules according to councils, so look on their website to find our about that.

Although morally, if i was working at your age, i d be offering something after being fed and clothed for 16 years anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending