The Student Room Group

∫(x-1∕x)² dx Help, please

The question is in the title.
So far I have written it as
∫x²-(x-1)²dx
and I am struggling with integrating the x^-1 as I don't know if it would be 2lnx or something else.
I've done the first x
∫x² dx =x³/3
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
∫x²-(x-1)²dx
and I am struggling with integrating the x^-1 as I don't know if it would be 2lnx or something else.
I've done the first x
∫x² dx =x³/3

Expand (x1x)2=(x1x)(x1x)(x- \frac{1}{x})^2 = (x-\frac{1}{x})(x-\frac{1}{x})

The result of (a+b)2(a+b)^2 is a2+2ab+b2a^2 +2ab +b^2, that is the first term squared, plus two times the product, plus the last term squared.

(x1x)2dx=(x22+1x2)dx \int (x- \frac{1}{x})^2 dx = \int(x^2 - 2 + \frac{1}{x^2})dx

From here it can be integrated easily.
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
∫x²-(x-1)²dx
I've done the first x
∫x² dx =x³/3

You can't go from ∫(x-1∕x)² to ∫x^2 - (x^-1)^2. You need to use the reverse chain rule so you first need to differentiate the bracket so you get dy/dx = 1 + x^-2. Using the reverse chain rule you get ((x-1/x)^3)/(3(1+x^-2)). Any math geniuses agree? Quite new to integration so sorry for any mistake. Hope it helps :smile:
Original post by NotNotBatman

The result of (a+b)2(a+b)^2 is a2+2ab+b2a^2 +2ab +b^2, that is the first term squared, plus two times the product, plus the last term squared.

(x1x)2dx=(x22+1x2)dx \int (x- \frac{1}{x})^2 dx = \int(x^2 - 2 + \frac{1}{x^2})dx

Any help in what I did wrong?
Original post by samendrag

Yeah, (x1x)2x2(x1)2(x-\frac{1}{x})^2 \not= x^2-(x^{-1})^2
Original post by RDKGames
Yeah, (x1x)2x2(x1)2(x-\frac{1}{x})^2 \not= x^2-(x^{-1})^2

Could you use the reverse chain rule, how would you use it in this question?
You can't go from ∫(x-1∕x)² to ∫x^2 - (x^-1)^2. You need to use the reverse chain rule so you first need to differentiate the bracket so you get dy/dx = 1 + x^-2. Using the reverse chain rule you get ((x-1/x)^3)/(3(1+x^-2)). Any math geniuses agree? Quite new to integration so sorry for any mistake. Hope it helps :smile:

x is a variable factor, so the reverse chain rule doesn't apply. You can divide by constants when using the reverse chain rule, but not by variable factors.
x is a variable factor, so the reverse chain rule doesn't apply. You can divide by constants when using the reverse chain rule, but not by variable factors.

ohh ok thanks!

Thanks, I forgot how to expand for a moment :redface:

Could you use the reverse chain rule, how would you use it in this question?

Apologies, that reply was meant for OP. The chain rule wouldn't be of much help here.

Quick Reply

Latest