The Student Room Group

How representative is TSR? SURVEY

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yukicookie
That's a really good idea! :smile:

Thanks! Inspired by @pamplemousse.'s thread
Original post by jamestg
Thanks! I could have put something like "did your parents go to uni"?

That's a good idea also! Also perhaps what subject/field you're applying to? But I guess that would require a lot of possible answers :lol:

If it helps, my parents didn't go to uni?
Completion of survey has been carried out!
Reply 23
So far:

1 in 10 gain 10 A* grades at GCSE
1 in 10 go to Oxbridge
1 in 5 gain 4 A grades at AS
Completed it! Would love to see the results :smile:

(ps. I'm another person who doesn't go to an ex-poly or a russell group haha...! I chose russell group as lancaster is a top 10 uni in all three league tables, which I guess is what you were really asking?)

The uni option needs changing.

There are non-RG, research universities that were never polytechnics.. I can't just put didn't go to uni lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by JohnGreek
RG is too broad a category, but I completed it, thanks for creating the survey

(also pls don't forget about the Baths and St. Andrew's of the world)

The awkward thing is I've even applied to Bath ahaha!
Reply 27
Original post by Gogregg
That's a good idea also! Also perhaps what subject/field you're applying to? But I guess that would require a lot of possible answers :lol:

If it helps, my parents didn't go to uni?

So many answers hahahaha :biggrin:

Original post by FireFreezer77
Completion of survey has been carried out!

Thanks!
Reply 28
Original post by Princepieman
The uni option needs changing.

There are non-RG, research universities that were never polytechnics.. I can't just put didn't go to uni lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't change it without creating a new survey. I just won't bother looking into the stats at the end. Bit annoying but hey ho.

I must say Swansea impressed me yesterday! Went with my sister and I'll consider it if I have to go into clearing!
Reply 29
Original post by loveire&song
Completed it! Would love to see the results :smile:

(ps. I'm another person who doesn't go to an ex-poly or a russell group haha...! I chose russell group as lancaster is a top 10 uni in all three league tables, which I guess is what you were really asking?)

Nah I just forgot lol, I won't bother publishing the final results for that question.
Original post by SeanFM
James, James, James, dear oh dear! :hide: I go to a uni that isn't Oxbridge, Russel Group or an ex-poly :hide:

:ditto: Though I graduated from it years ago.
Original post by jamestg
I can't change it without creating a new survey. I just won't bother looking into the stats at the end. Bit annoying but hey ho.

I must say Swansea impressed me yesterday! Went with my sister and I'll consider it if I have to go into clearing!

Ahh fair enough!

Ooh, glad you enjoyed it! One of my mates was on open day duty yesterday and called you guys 'keen beans' aha. How are your UCAS applications coming along?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
I cocked up I'm sorry :frown:

Can you edit your survery?

It's also self selecting.
Reply 33
Original post by 999tigger
Can you edit your survery?

It's also self selecting.

Can't edit it. What do you mean by self selecting?
Original post by jamestg
Can't edit it. What do you mean by self selecting?

I see I was thinking of polls on TS not survey monkey. I guess youd have to do a completely new survey. Survey was clear and simple btw which was good.

The question was how resrpresentative? Representative of what? Student population as a whole, would have been my thought.

Its the same issue that I pointed oit on the other thread. There are a whole slew of people who do not post on TSR or who dont feel confident enough to post grades, who cant be botherd with surveys, who dont tell the truth. That means the people who do answer are already a defined group.
Reply 35
Original post by 999tigger
I see I was thinking of polls on TS not survey monkey. I guess youd have to do a completely new survey. Survey was clear and simple btw which was good.

The question was how resrpresentative? Representative of what? Student population as a whole, would have been my thought.

Its the same issue that I pointed oit on the other thread. There are a whole slew of people who do not post on TSR or who dont feel confident enough to post grades, who cant be botherd with surveys, who dont tell the truth. That means the people who do answer are already a defined group.

The slight difference though is that posting on TSR is anon but the survey is not, so hopefully people are more comfortable with their grades. And from the 60 results so far, it seems as if that's the case.

Rep of student population obviously :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Princepieman
Ahh fair enough!

Ooh, glad you enjoyed it! One of my mates was on open day duty yesterday and called you guys 'keen beans' aha. How are your UCAS applications coming along?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha nice!

Great thanks! Applied on Wednesday and got an offer from Surrey on Friday! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Bump, we're at 75.
Reply 38
UPDATE!

1 in 4 didn't get any A*s at GCSE
2 in 3 went to a comprehensive school
1 in 8 failed at least one GCSE

Still collecting responses!
These are actually really interesting!

Quick Reply