The Student Room Group

People on Facebook are SO cringe worthy

It makes me laugh how people post the most embarrassing and cringey things on Facebook.

I have a page on there to login and to keep up with events and posts from pages I follow and that's all I really use it for. I'm the "low key" type and so I deactivated my personal profile over 4 years ago and don't use FB for people to know all about me or my thoughts.

I come from a small town and everybody has each other added just because they went to the same school or whatever, like even if they never spoke or know each other personally, everyone just adds one another and share their life with complete strangers basically.

That makes me cringe so much and I don't get it. Maybe it's normal and maybe I'm just an introvert.

I mean it isn't the website itself that I'm hating on, it's the way people use it.

For example, these 2 boys posted that they are at a prison visiting their friend and tagged him and the location and everything. Then commenting saying he has 7 months left in jail and talking like he is cool or something. Why would you plaster his business all over Facebook like omg that's nothing to be proud of? But I guess these chavs have no shame in what they share to the world.

I'm sure we all have stories of funny/embarrassing/wtf posts we've seen on FB.

I find Twitter is more of my thing. I feel like the audience is so different on there and the way it is used is much better.
FB is basically full of cringey chavs.

But yeah, I guess it's just about whether or not you care who you share your thoughts with and who sees what you're up to.
Personally, I'm not into it.

How many of you actively use FB and share your life on there?
Do you add people for the sake of it? Even if you've only briefly known them?
Block/delete/deactivate account.
Reply 2
Original post by Wilfred Little
Block/delete/deactivate account.

You failed to see the point.
Everyone when they first use facebook for the first year is cringey as hell, especially me as I was in year 7. Now im bored of FB and barely, use it.I can understand why you think some things are cringey
The lack of a hyphen in this thread title is also cringe-worthy.
Reply 5
i couldn't agree more, a lot of cringe on fb from a lot of teens, but there are adults that use fb like my parents who just use it to talk to freinds and family etc.
I pretty much just use it for hobby groups, friendship events (aka nights out, birthday parties, group trips abroad etc, basically situations where group chat isn't quite enough) and sharing photos from group events. Maybe sharing the odd meme to embarrass friends, albeit not the minion *****.

Back when I started on it though, it didn't have anywhere near the amount of click bait as it has now. It was also much more like what twitter is, aka sharing thoughts, feeling, your day etc via statuses. As twitter took over it pretty much just turned into what it is now. Hell even twitter is dying now, it's starting to become more common for people not to have face book, where 4-5 years ago it was pretty much how you initially added a new friend to your personal contacts.
Reply 7
I used to have the same feeling, then I realised, as I grew older, that Facebook is more about building a circle of acquaintances and building a network than it is about maintaining friends. Some time ago I deleted lots of the people I had on my Facebook friends list who weren't really true friends, only now do I regret doing this.

Latest