The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuba123
Oxford or Cambridge.

I want to study medicine as well and I'm applying to Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh. This unis might not look great compared to ox bridge they're prestigious as well.

Thanks!

Hope you get into those universities...

Would you say that prestige in terms of university is least important for medicine as a whole?
@HopelessMedic - this is it, in a nutshell. People get far too hung up on 'good/better/best' for this sort of thing. There's no such thing as a 'shoddy' medical school, at least not in the UK.
Original post by wolfmoon88
The US tends to like Scottish Universities.

Any particular reason(s)?
Original post by Reality Check
@HopelessMedic - this is it, in a nutshell. People get far too hung up on 'good/better/best' for this sort of thing. There's no such thing as a 'shoddy' medical school, at least not in the UK.

But people get caught up on such things as there definitely is some medical school far far better than others...
Very true. It's called affirmative action. smh

Your joking,correct?
Original post by Reality Check

In the US it's more about tuition than anything else, the quality of medical education is probs a bit different cuz of resources but at the end of the day, a MD degree is a MD degree.
Original post by Fadel
You haven't even completed your GCSEs and you're already thinking you're gonna get accepted into Cambridge.

I get that a lot...i just love to think ahead a lot and forward plan,By no means am i saying i WILL get into ox-bridge,i would like to and i will try to maximize my chances in every possible way that is under my control....

Sorry if i came across in the wrong way...
Original post by VNN
Intrested in it,I'm aware the money is not Great and to be honest as long as I earn a decent amount,or average,I couldn't care less...

No, why do you want to go to a "top" medical school?
Yes it is, many of my American friends are applying to Imperial.

Oh nice..surely they would have a lower chance than the British counter-parts?
Reply 49
Very true. It's called affirmative action. smh

Except Maker included White.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read up on Affirmative Action.

I have...From what i understand Asians will not be discriminated against as it is defined as the following:

action favouring those who tend to suffer from discrimination; positive discrimination.
Original post by Democracy

Yeah, it's good to get into any medical school at the end of the day. In terms of medicine there is not "top", medical school is there because all of them are equal right?
Original post by Democracy

oh i see...

I expect the following from a 'Top' medical school:

1)Better medical tuition
2)More prestige/respect
3)The previous point will make it easier to get a job as a surgeon/doctor and will be of use sometime in my career...
4)I will be more proud of myself...
Reply 53
Original post by VNN
Also,isn't Stanford part of ivy league,also university i seem to like in terms of campus,etc... such as caltech do not have a medical school,That's sad...

Stanford is better than most Ivy League universities. Ivy League simply refers to a small group of private esst coast universities. It's primarily a sports thing, not a ranking criteria for med schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, I stand corrected.
Original post by VNN
Oh nice..surely they would have a lower chance than the British counter-parts?

Idk about that lol probably
Original post by VNN
But people get caught up on such things as there definitely is some medical school far far better than others...

No. Not in the UK. All the medical schools have to maintain a standard in order to keep their GMC accreditation. No one in this country cares where you went to med school.

America is a whole different ballgame, but medicine is pretty different over there.
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you talking about/mean?
Original post by ForestCat
No. Not in the UK. All the medical schools have to maintain a standard in order to keep their GMC accreditation. No one in this country cares where you went to med school.

America is a whole different ballgame, but medicine is pretty different over there.

Yes but what will be the best for a student who lives in the uk that wants to become a surgeon in america,that is why i am confused...
Should i to med school in america or uk...Etc...
Affirmative Action does have an effect on Asian applicants tho...

http://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/489023/

The article is about Asian Americans but I am pretty sure it is about all applicants that are with an Asian name, especially after you graduate and apply for med school in the US.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending