The Student Room Group

low AS but good predictions ..advice please

hi , so I got ABCD at As level in Maths, Further Maths , Business Studies and physics and I am predicted A*AB in Maths , F.maths and Business but think i can get it pushed up to A*AA -A*A*A. I do 100% think i can get these
I am also resisting 3 maths modules - m1, s1 and D1 in which i got 67,69 and 70 UMS which i was quite disappointed with as id constantly been getting 90+ in practice papers under exam conditions . I do realise that my predictions are quite a big jump and may seem unrealistic to unis. The reason i got these not so great as results was that i didn't revise until the day of the exam and even then it was during the 6 hours or so before the exam where i was supposed to sleep so i didn't get enough sleep either and i was also personally going through depression and anxiety and I did have suicidal thoughts but I don't want to bring that up with people i know so I won't be entering any extenuating circumstances.
I am also planning on taking STEP 1 .
I am wanting to apply for maths at Warwick (A*A*A*-A*AA including STEP)
LSE (A*AA) for maths with economics
Manchester (A*AA-AAA)
Bristol (A*AA)
York (AAB)

Are these universities a good choice or will most reject me due to my AS grades and is it worth rather taking a gap year or going to a lower ranked uni?
Also i heard Warwick give maths offers including STEP to anyone predicted AAB is this true.
Sorry for the lengthy paragraph.
Any advice appreciated than you
Original post by purple apples
hi , so I got ABCD at As level in Maths, Further Maths , Business Studies and physics and I am predicted A*AB in Maths , F.maths and Business but think i can get it pushed up to A*AA -A*A*A. I do 100% think i can get these
I am also resisting 3 maths modules - m1, s1 and D1 in which i got 67,69 and 70 UMS which i was quite disappointed with as id constantly been getting 90+ in practice papers under exam conditions . I do realise that my predictions are quite a big jump and may seem unrealistic to unis. The reason i got these not so great as results was that i didn't revise until the day of the exam and even then it was during the 6 hours or so before the exam where i was supposed to sleep so i didn't get enough sleep either and i was also personally going through depression and anxiety and I did have suicidal thoughts but I don't want to bring that up with people i know so I won't be entering any extenuating circumstances.
Manchester (A*AA-AAA)
Bristol (A*AA)
York (AAB)

Are these universities a good choice or will most reject me due to my AS grades and is it worth rather taking a gap year or going to a lower ranked uni?
Also i heard Warwick give maths offers including STEP to anyone predicted AAB is this true.

Take a gap year,or go for unis with lower entry requirements then use adjustment. If you did want to apply this year, then seriously consider entering for ecs.
I doubt many top universities will consider you with those grades. You need to decide whether your priority is going to uni this year (in which case pick two of your current choices and three lower ranked unis) or whether your priority is getting into a stronger university in which case you can always apply on the off chance but you should accept you'll be reapplying next year
Original post by claireestelle
Take a gap year,or go for unis with lower entry requirements then use adjustment. If you did want to apply this year, then seriously consider entering for ecs.

Original post by doodle_333
I doubt many top universities will consider you with those grades. You need to decide whether your priority is going to uni this year (in which case pick two of your current choices and three lower ranked unis) or whether your priority is getting into a stronger university in which case you can always apply on the off chance but you should accept you'll be reapplying next year

will taking a gap year make my application less competitive compared to others especially since i will be applying for a maths degree and due to the specification and exams having completely changed for the year below me in maths.
Also do Warwick give automatic offers to anyone predicted A*AA as I've read somewhere before on tsr but am not sure if its true
thanks
will taking a gap year make my application less competitive compared to others especially since i will be applying for a maths degree and due to the specification and exams having completely changed for the year below me in maths.
Also do Warwick give automatic offers to anyone predicted A*AA as I've read somewhere before on tsr but am not sure if its true
thanks

Taking a gap year shouldn't make a difference as long as you use it doing something.
Reply 5
Manchester (A*AA-AAA)
Bristol (A*AA)
York (AAB)

I would strongly recommend reapplying next year. Or just apply to Manchester, York and other unis with AAA or below.

Clearly it wasn't just one or two rogue exams at AS, so this will significantly weaken your application.
thanks

taking a gap year is a very normal thing to do, the only difference will be you ether get an acceptance or rejection rather than conditional offer

I sincerely doubt that's true
Reply 7
you may have a decent chance at Bristol as they do not put ,such significance on As grades and more so on A2 predictions.
Manchester (A*AA-AAA)
Bristol (A*AA)
York (AAB)

You have virtually no chance of an LSE offer.

You'll probably get a Warwick offer as they give offers to pretty much everyone but meeting it will be tough.

Have you considered Kings? AAA including FM.
thanks everyone for the replies.
I'm applying for maths at
Warwick
Bristol
Manchester
York
and need another choice but not sure where ..... need a decent maths department with a good rep in banking industry as i want to go into an investment banking role or something similar after graduating but somewhere that is realistic for me . Thanks
also taking STEP 1.
if all fails and i end up with 5 rejections i guess ill take a gap year
Original post by TheRandomGenius
You have virtually no chance of an LSE offer.

You'll probably get a Warwick offer as they give offers to pretty much everyone but meeting it will be tough.

Have you considered Kings? AAA including FM.

I have seen kings and i don't think i would enjoy being there tbh
I have seen kings and i don't think i would enjoy being there tbh

Yeah same. I'm applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE and Kings with AAAA at AS and an A*A*A*A prediction. If Kings is my only offer and I get A*A*AA or better come results day then I'm taking a gap year and reapplying.
Yeah same. I'm applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE and Kings with AAAA at AS and an A*A*A*A prediction. If Kings is my only offer and I get A*A*AA or better come results day then I'm taking a gap year and reapplying.

with them grades you'll get more offers than kings hopefully.
how come you didn't apply to Warwick?
Manchester (A*AA-AAA)
Bristol (A*AA)
York (AAB)

You might want to ask those universities if AS grades are considered. From applying to medicine, 9/10 universities say they don't care about AS grades, only GCSEs and/or predictions are considered - so check.
with them grades you'll get more offers than kings hopefully.
how come you didn't apply to Warwick?

I was going to initially but I live in London and I feel like the only to universities that are worth moving out for are Cambridge and Oxford and I had nothing to lose by applying to Cambridge.

Very much doubt I'll get an offer but nothing wrong with applying! I really just want an offer from LSE/UCL/Imperial (with the first 2 being more realistic).
I was going to initially but I live in London and I feel like the only to universities that are worth moving out for are Cambridge and Oxford and I had nothing to lose by applying to Cambridge.

Very much doubt I'll get an offer but nothing wrong with applying! I really just want an offer from LSE/UCL/Imperial (with the first 2 being more realistic).

good luck with that , also any other suggestions for somewhere i can apply to still need 1 more
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
You might want to ask those universities if AS grades are considered. From applying to medicine, 9/10 universities say they don't care about AS grades, only GCSEs and/or predictions are considered - so check.

I think with maths universities would be reluctant to give offers to low scoring AS candidates, as it would decrease there overall maths ums unless the OP is taking resits (for the maths modules the OP scored low in ) i suppose.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dididid
I think with maths unit would be reluctant to give offers to low scoring as candidates as it would decrease there overall maths ups unless they're taking resits i suppose

Please speak in English
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Please speak in English

is that better for you :smile:
Original post by dididid
is that better for you :smile:

Yes, but irrelevant because it's not the original point.

Quick Reply

Latest