The Student Room Group

Will my resit make me look bad?

In my maths AS Level I got a B (4 UMS from an A) and so I am going to resit my worst module to bring it up to an A. I have predicted grades A*AA, but I was just wondering if universities will look at me less favourably because I am going to do a resit.
Original post by emduck
In my maths AS Level I got a B (4 UMS from an A) and so I am going to resit my worst module to bring it up to an A. I have predicted grades A*AA, but I was just wondering if universities will look at me less favourably because I am going to do a resit.

Nope
Reply 2
No! Makes you look better, due to the fact you want to improve them.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Nope

Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by Drunq
No! Makes you look better, due to the fact you want to improve them.

Thank you!
Unless you're applying to Oxbridge, it's fine. Most unis don't care as long as any resits are done within the 2 year period!
Original post by jemmaaa0853
Unless you're applying to Oxbridge, it's fine. Most unis don't care as long as any resits are done within the 2 year period!

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/results
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

Neither Oxford or Cambridge care about a single module resit.

"Candidates who need retakes in order to achieve an A* or A have a lower chance of being offered a place."

I didn't say they would be automatically rejected, but OP asked if it would make them 'look bad'.
Therefore I think it's important that they know that Oxbridge have clearly stated that you have a lower chance of an offer if you have resat a module to get to an A, which is exactly what OP stated they wish to do in maths.
Original post by emduck

I got AAAC at AS. Got an E on one of the papers and decided to resit it.

Still got offers from Durham, Leeds, Manchester as well as several others. Didn't actually get turned down for any, even though most were Russell Group unis. :smile:

You should be fine.
Reply 9
Original post by jemmaaa0853
"Candidates who need retakes in order to achieve an A* or A have a lower chance of being offered a place."

I didn't say they would be automatically rejected, but OP asked if it would make them 'look bad'.
Therefore I think it's important that they know that Oxbridge have clearly stated that you have a lower chance of an offer if you have resat a module to get to an A, which is exactly what OP stated they wish to do in maths.

Cambridge don't mind 1 or even 2 resits. The ATs on TSR have been very clear about this.

And the link says:
"We recognise that even the best students can have 'bad days' when an exam doesn’t quite go to plan. Therefore, we’re not concerned if an applicant has retaken or is planning to retake one or two modular AS/A2 Level units for which the results obtained are clearly out of character."

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Cambridge don't mind 1 or even 2 resits. The ATs on TSR have been very clear about this.

And the link says:
"We recognise that even the best students can have 'bad days' when an exam doesn’t quite go to plan. Therefore, we’re not concerned if an applicant has retaken or is planning to retake one or two modular AS/A2 Level units for which the results obtained are clearly out of character."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that is from Cambridge, however Oxford are quoted as above on their link.
I'm just speaking as someone who has been through the UCAS process and been to Oxbridge conferences in the past, that's all.
Reply 11
I am not applying to Cambridge or Oxford with my grades, so they weren't really of concern to me personally, though I guess others might be wondering. I considered applying until after my first maths exam...

Quick Reply

Latest