The Student Room Group

In Further Maths, when the answer is a negative value, how do you express it?

Sometimes, the answer that I get, is negative, based on the side that I use as the positive direction. How would I express in the answer, that the answer is correct, but it's supposed to be going in the other direction, if that makes any sense??

I've got my first class test, coming up, and kinda need this info, soon!!

Thanks so much!!! :smile:
Just state very clearly which direction you are taking as positive, and state it again in your answer immediately after you put the number.
Reply 2
Original post by an_atheist
Just state very clearly which direction you are taking as positive, and state it again in your answer immediately after you put the number.

So, I'd say in the opposite direction to the positive direction? And thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by Amanii25
So, I'd say in the opposite direction to the positive direction? And thanks for the reply :smile:

The safest way would be to give direction in relation to the direction of an object/force in the question. So if you wanted to give a velocity, you might say '5m/s in the direction of A', or '5m/s, 30deg above the direction of A'. That way there's no room to be misinterpreted.
Reply 4
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
The safest way would be to give direction in relation to the direction of an object/force in the question. So if you wanted to give a velocity, you might say '5m/s in the direction of A', or '5m/s, 30deg above the direction of A'. That way there's no room to be misinterpreted.

Awesome!! Thanks!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest