The Student Room Group

Does A*A*C equate to benchmark AAA for Fine Art BA?

Hello LMH :smile: I was thinking of applying to Oxford for a Fine Art BA. I've not got the benchmark AAA but instead have A*A*C. Would they equate to the same thing, and is applying worth my while?

Thanks!
Harry
Original post by HarryMart1n
Hello LMH :smile: I was thinking of applying to Oxford for a Fine Art BA. I've not got the benchmark AAA but instead have A*A*C. Would they equate to the same thing, and is applying worth my while?

Thanks!
Harry

Generally it wouldn't be considered the same. Whilst they're equivalent in terms of UCAS points, Oxford doesn't use UCAS points. You may want to consider emailing them directly though because it's perhaps possible that they might be more lenient because of the practical elements of the course (I'm assuming, I don't know much about fine art, but I'm guessing that a portfolio would be an important part of an application), but generally speaking Oxford wouldn't accept an application that doesn't meet the minimum entrance requirements :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
Generally it wouldn't be considered the same. Whilst they're equivalent in terms of UCAS points, Oxford doesn't use UCAS points. You may want to consider emailing them directly though because it's perhaps possible that they might be more lenient because of the practical elements of the course (I'm assuming, I don't know much about fine art, but I'm guessing that a portfolio would be an important part of an application), but generally speaking Oxford wouldn't accept an application that doesn't meet the minimum entrance requirements :frown:

Thank you for the advice - shall do so accordingly :smile:

Thanks!
Harry

Normally the AAA requirement means the university want a minimum of an A in each of the three A-Levels, so A*A*C isn't the same. However as Pagioclase said, no harm in emailing admissions. I assume you are aware you've missed the deadline for 2017 entry though?

Thanks!
Harry

In terms of UCAS points I think they're kind of the same but Oxford might not use points to determine it. Contact them and ask them.
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
Normally the AAA requirement means the university want a minimum of an A in each of the three A-Levels, so A*A*C isn't the same. However as Pagioclase said, no harm in emailing admissions. I assume you are aware you've missed the deadline for 2017 entry though?

The OP was posting before the deadline :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Points don't always mean prizes. It's usually not just arithmetic - the C grade could cause concern just by virtue of it being a C - that concern is not discounted by the remaining A*s, unless there are well-document mitigating circumstances for the 'poor' grade.
Original post by jneill
The OP was posting before the deadline :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but it was so close I assumed they wouldn't have time to apply by it
No. They want evidence of consistent academic rigour across three subjects. You don't have this. They will get plenty of AAA (and above) applications - Oxford do NOT need to be kind to anyone who is clearly not presenting with the stated requirements. They could fill the course many times over with folk who do have AAA and above.

You can only ever assume A*A*C = AAA when applying to a Uni that give a UCAS point score requirement, not grades.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
No. They want evidence of consistent academic rigour across three subjects. You don't have this. They will get plenty of AAA (and above) applications - Oxford do NOT need to be kind to anyone who is clearly not presenting with the stated requirements. They could fill the course many times over with folk who do have AAA and above.

You can only ever assume A*A*C = AAA when applying to a Uni that give a UCAS point score requirement, not grades.

It's not that clearcut in this case. BrasenoseAdm advised the OP to speak to the dept, and potentially apply, in another thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
perhaps it's worthwhile to mention I received an offer for fine art with a*abb, but, equally, perhaps it's not. it's not the same as a*a*c, but i think that we might at least be able to say that small grades concessions are occasionally able to be made if your work is particularly liked.
Reply 11
Original post by pluston
perhaps it's worthwhile to mention I received an offer for fine art with a*abb, but, equally, perhaps it's not. it's not the same as a*a*c, but i think that we might at least be able to say that small grades concessions are occasionally able to be made if your work is particularly liked.

Excellent! Well done. Yes especially for something like fine art there's clearly a bit more to it.

How's the course now you are a couple of weeks or so into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending